Turn on thread page Beta

What’s English Language and Philosophy and Ethics like? watch

ReputationRep:
    Quite a self-explanatory title. I’m about to start sixth form and I have chosen the following a-level subjects: English Language, Sociology and Philosophy and Ethics.

I’m quite set with English and Socioloy but for English I don’t actually know what I’m in for. Is there a speaking exam? Is it really different to GCSE English Language?

And for Philisophy and Ethics, I chose this purely because I like debates and because I did somewhat well on the RS exam. What’s it like? Is it actually as hard as people say it is? What jobs can you get from studying it? This is the subject that I didn’t even think about until someone suggested it to me on the day of applying for sixth form, it was a rather spontaneous decision which I am not so sure, looking back, was a good one.

All insight would be appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beayear11)
    Quite a self-explanatory title. I’m about to start sixth form and I have chosen the following a-level subjects: English Language, Sociology and Philosophy and Ethics.

I’m quite set with English and Socioloy but for English I don’t actually know what I’m in for. Is there a speaking exam? Is it really different to GCSE English Language?

And for Philisophy and Ethics, I chose this purely because I like debates and because I did somewhat well on the RS exam. What’s it like? Is it actually as hard as people say it is? What jobs can you get from studying it? This is the subject that I didn’t even think about until someone suggested it to me on the day of applying for sixth form, it was a rather spontaneous decision which I am not so sure, looking back, was a good one.

All insight would be appreciated x
    Hey!

I study RS at A-Level, and studied English Language last year at AS too so hopefully can be of some help!

No speaking exam in A-Level Lang no, one paper is fairly similar to GCSE in that you have to analyse a text and write about how that text creates meanings and representations. (Effect on the reader basically!). The other paper is completely different in that you adopt almost a scientific approach to the study of language. You will have to remember theorists studies into areas such as how you age, gender, sexuality or occupation affect the way in which you speak. In Y13 you'll then also look at language acquisition (how babies learn to speak) and language change (historical approach, how language has changed over time). This is for the AQA exam board, but other boards will be similar too.

You'll definitely have plenty of debates in Philosophy and Ethics as it is a largely subjective subject. Your ethics units will basically be looking at different ethical systems (different ways of making decisions). E.G. Situation Ethics - Do the most loving thing. You'll go into detail on some theories, and need to remember quotes from critics of the theory too. Your philosophy units will then be looking at ways in which people have tried to answer the questions Does God Exist? Finally you'll study a religious component in which you look at the core beliefs, scripture etc. of one set religious group. Philosophy is a demanding subject as it is essay based, and you will need to remember quotes. However, I personally find it entirely manageable.

Hope this helped. Any questions feel free to reply and ask!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HT2412)
    Hey!

I study RS at A-Level, and studied English Language last year at AS too so hopefully can be of some help!

No speaking exam in A-Level Lang no, one paper is fairly similar to GCSE in that you have to analyse a text and write about how that text creates meanings and representations. (Effect on the reader basically!). The other paper is completely different in that you adopt almost a scientific approach to the study of language. You will have to remember theorists studies into areas such as how you age, gender, sexuality or occupation affect the way in which you speak. In Y13 you'll then also look at language acquisition (how babies learn to speak) and language change (historical approach, how language has changed over time). This is for the AQA exam board, but other boards will be similar too.

You'll definitely have plenty of debates in Philosophy and Ethics as it is a largely subjective subject. Your ethics units will basically be looking at different ethical systems (different ways of making decisions). E.G. Situation Ethics - Do the most loving thing. You'll go into detail on some theories, and need to remember quotes from critics of the theory too. Your philosophy units will then be looking at ways in which people have tried to answer the questions Does God Exist? Finally you'll study a religious component in which you look at the core beliefs, scripture etc. of one set religious group. Philosophy is a demanding subject as it is essay based, and you will need to remember quotes. However, I personally find it entirely manageable.

Hope this helped. Any questions feel free to reply and ask!
    Hey, yeah it helped massively, thank you!

I’ve got just a few questions. In English Lang is there any creative writing involved? My spec is either AQA or Edexcel, I can’t rememeber what they told me. And if you have an idea, what job are you hoping to do in the future? Because right now I have no clue what I could do with these A-Levels besides journalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beayear11)
    Hey, yeah it helped massively, thank you!

I’ve got just a few questions. In English Lang is there any creative writing involved? My spec is either AQA or Edexcel, I can’t rememeber what they told me. And if you have an idea, what job are you hoping to do in the future? Because right now I have no clue what I could do with these A-Levels besides journalism.
    Hey!

So for AQAs Specification there is creative writing involved. At AS Level you have to write an opinion article about one of the language topics (language and age, gender etc.), including theorists. This changes at A2 and the creative writing becomes NEA (Non-Exam Assessment, Coursework if you like) on any topic of your choice. You have to choose yourself a style model that you try to mimic in certain ways (use similar techniques, styles structures etc.) and write a commentary on how your article is similar to your style model.

I'm either wanting to go into the Civil Service or into Teaching at the moment. Humanities based A-Levels like Lit/P&E can lead to a range of degrees leading to employment (or direct employment) in areas such as law, journalism, PR/Communications, teaching, charity sector, local government sector, politics. Many graduate schemes in accountancy, consultancy, the civil service and the charity sector are open to all graduates, regardless of degree subject.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.