Quyen_3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm thinking to apply to do architecture this year. I can't decide if I should apply to Cambridge or not and is it worth all the effort?

For me the cons for Cambridge doing architecture is:
-really short term (8 weeks instead of 10) so the course would be very intense
-quite a lot of essay/ writing (which I don't mind) however my English and comprehension is not too great so I would be struggling a lot in that aspect
-the deadline is so soon and the writing administration tests would not be my strong point.
-less diverse races? (I've heard, not sure if it's true)

Cons for Edinburgh:
-I would want to stay in pollock halls as it takes off pressure not having to cook, especially in my first year. However, I've heard the food is terrible? And the rooms aren't that great either?
(The only con I can think of now, however if I apply to both and get an offer with both, which one would be better?)
-they don't seem to ask for a portfolio or interview, does that make them easier to get in or more competition as many people apply to them?

I really like the Gothic architecture and the area of both these unis hence why they would be at the top of my list. ( and a mixture of art and theory)

Also does anyone knows about the tasks one has to do and the briefs that are given in both unis? I can't seem to find it anywhere..
I'm also thinking to apply to Cardiff, Sheffield, Nottingham.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So uhh one thing is clear here, which is you have to learn to cook. You have a year and a bit which is plenty of time to get good enough.

The courses at Oxford and Cambridge are indeed quite intensive because of the short terms. Whereas the third term at uni would usually involve a lot of revision, at Cambridge you'd still be studying right to the end.

Choose the one with the better course is my advice. If you don't like the course at Cambridge then fair enough, don't take it.
Quyen_3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
So uhh one thing is clear here, which is you have to learn to cook. You have a year and a bit which is plenty of time to get good enough.

The courses at Oxford and Cambridge are indeed quite intensive because of the short terms. Whereas the third term at uni would usually involve a lot of revision, at Cambridge you'd still be studying right to the end.

Choose the one with the better course is my advice. If you don't like the course at Cambridge then fair enough, don't take it.
Ah thank you! Yes I can cook and love doing it (I cook at home) but for the first year it's nice to not worry about coming back from a stressful day and having to think about what to eat. But also in Edinburgh they don't provide lunch which means that it will be even more expensive than it already is to buy more food.

Personally I don't mind about studying to the very end. Are you applying/ studying architecture?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Quyen_3)
Ah thank you! Yes I can cook and love doing it (I cook at home) but for the first year it's nice to not worry about coming back from a stressful day and having to think about what to eat. But also in Edinburgh they don't provide lunch which means that it will be even more expensive than it already is to buy more food.

Personally I don't mind about studying to the very end. Are you applying/ studying architecture?
Physics, or physical NatSci at Cambridge hopefully . Apparently Robinson college has good food.
Quyen_3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Physics, or physical NatSci at Cambridge hopefully . Apparently Robinson college has good food.
Oh cool! Yeah I think I would go for Pembroke college if I apply to Cambridge
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (9)
20.93%
No (34)
79.07%

Watched Threads