The Student Room Group

Is chemistry a level memory based?

Is a lot of chemistry a level facts which can be learnt on flashcards and applied?
Reply 1
Partly, if you learn the whole syllabus off by heart you might get a C/B. To get an A/A* you need to understand the content, Chemistry is regarded as one of the hardest a levels, so to achieve the top grades you have understand the content which requires intelligence. The new exams require you to apply your knowledge to new strange examples.

I did physics, chem, biol and maths. I found Chemistry the hardest it requires all sorts of skills, maths, reasoning, abstract thinking, essay writing. On top of that the work load is up there with biology. Having said that universities are impressed if you can achieve the top grades in chemistry a level.

If you love chemistry I'm sure you will do well in chemistry a level, but don't go into it thinking it's a memory test.
Reply 2
Original post by Zinc~
Partly, if you learn the whole syllabus off by heart you might get a C/B. To get an A/A* you need to understand the content, Chemistry is regarded as one of the hardest a levels, so to achieve the top grades you have understand the content which requires intelligence. The new exams require you to apply your knowledge to new strange examples.

I did physics, chem, biol and maths. I found Chemistry the hardest it requires all sorts of skills, maths, reasoning, abstract thinking, essay writing. On top of that the work load is up there with biology. Having said that universities are impressed if you can achieve the top grades in chemistry a level.

If you love chemistry I'm sure you will do well in chemistry a level, but don't go into it thinking it's a memory test.

Is biology more memory based?
Original post by Psaa
Is a lot of chemistry a level facts which can be learnt on flashcards and applied?

Pretty much most of it is memory based. Just memorise the info and you would probably get an A tbh
Reply 4
Original post by Bidachanee
Pretty much most of it is memory based. Just memorise the info and you would probably get an A tbh

Okay thanks
Reply 5
You can pass with memory alone but definitely will struggle to get above a C without solid understanding , especially at A2.
Chemistry is more about the exam style questions and application!

ive been told I have a great memory-memorising the chemistry content got me only a D grade (sadly!)

So I cannot emphasise enough that application in Chemistry is vital:knowing just the content is not enough!
Original post by Alisha999
Chemistry is more about the exam style questions and application!

ive been told I have a great memory-memorising the chemistry content got me only a D grade (sadly!)

So I cannot emphasise enough that application in Chemistry is vital:knowing just the content is not enough!

So what you doing ? Did u get into uni
Original post by Bidachanee
So what you doing ? Did u get into uni

Yes!
Fortunately I got into Aston to do Optometry with a foundation year!
Original post by Alisha999
Yes!
Fortunately I got into Aston to do Optometry with a foundation year!

Nice what uni ?
Aston University

Quick Reply

Latest