Cambridge Law Affiliated Student Admission/Funding Watch

mh506
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi I'm considering applying to Cambridge to study law as an affiliated student. I have lots of questions regarding both admissions and funding.

I received a 2:1 (66%) from a UK university. From what I've seen on individual college websites some colleges accept applicants with high 2:1's. Does my percentage count as high? Also I did have extenuating circumstances in my final year of study - would this be taken into consideration?

How much do GCSE and A Level results are taken into account during the process? My GCSE results are fairly average 1A* 3A's and 5B's. My A Levels are quite poor ACC. This is what's worrying me the most about applying.

Will applying for deferred entry affect my application at all? I've read on parts of this forum you're less likely to receive an offer?

Which non-mature colleges tend to take on the most law affiliate students?

Regarding funding, my plan is to save up and work until I can afford tuition fees, college fees and maintenance costs. As far as I'm aware only Lucy Cavendish offer a Scholarship/Bursary for affiliated law. Do any other colleges offer any financial support? Are affiliated students eligible for the Cambridge Bursary?

Finally is the course significantly more difficult than the standard 3 year course? Again, I've read elsewhere on this forum that affiliated law students lock themselves in their rooms all year round because of how difficult the course is?

Doonesbury , Christ's Admissions Peterhouse Admissions
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mh506)
Hi I'm considering applying to Cambridge to study law as an affiliated student. I have lots of questions regarding both admissions and funding.

I received a 2:1 (66%) from a UK university. From what I've seen on individual college websites some colleges accept applicants with high 2:1's. Does my percentage count as high? Also I did have extenuating circumstances in my final year of study - would this be taken into consideration?

How much do GCSE and A Level results are taken into account during the process? My GCSE results are fairly average 1A* 3A's and 5B's. My A Levels are quite poor ACC. This is what's worrying me the most about applying.

Will applying for deferred entry affect my application at all? I've read on parts of this forum you're less likely to receive an offer?

Regarding funding, my plan is to save up and work until I can afford tuition fees, college fees and maintenance costs. As far as I'm aware only Lucy Cavendish offer a Scholarship/Bursary for affiliated law. Do any other colleges offer any financial support? Are affiliated students eligible for the Cambridge Bursary?

Finally is the course significantly more difficult than the standard 3 year course? Again, I've read elsewhere on this forum that affiliated law students lock themselves in their rooms all year round because of how difficult the course is?

Not my area sorry, I'll have to leave it to the real professionals
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mh506
Rep:
?
(Original post by mh506)

Murray Edwards Admissions
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mh506)

Hello and thanks for your questions. I'll do my best to answer them but I'm afraid I don't have detail on what funding different colleges offer.

67% would usually be considered the threshold for a high 2.1 but yes extenuating circumstances would certainly be taken into account so I think you would be admittable with what you have achieved.

For those applying for affiliated status, it is the most recent qualification, your degree, that matters most and GCSEs and A Levels are much less important than for a standard-aged application.

It is unusual for affiliated students to apply for deferred entry, I've never seen an application for it, and I would wait until you are ready to apply for immediate entry.

You aren't eigible for the Cambridge bursary as an affiliated student (see here for details). I'm afraid I don't know about which collegss take the most - there aren't huge numbers across the university, though more in Law than in other subjects, but any college that says they accept them will treat your application seriously.

The course isn't more difficult but you are learning the material in a shorter time, so that is what creates additional pressure I think that some students feel.
mh506
Rep:
?
(Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions)
Hello and thanks for your questions. I'll do my best to answer them but I'm afraid I don't have detail on what funding different colleges offer.

67% would usually be considered the threshold for a high 2.1 but yes extenuating circumstances would certainly be taken into account so I think you would be admittable with what you have achieved.

For those applying for affiliated status, it is the most recent qualification, your degree, that matters most and GCSEs and A Levels are much less important than for a standard-aged application.

It is unusual for affiliated students to apply for deferred entry, I've never seen an application for it, and I would wait until you are ready to apply for immediate entry.

You aren't eigible for the Cambridge bursary as an affiliated student (see here for details). I'm afraid I don't know about which collegss take the most - there aren't huge numbers across the university, though more in Law than in other subjects, but any college that says they accept them will treat your application seriously.

The course isn't more difficult but you are learning the material in a shorter time, so that is what creates additional pressure I think that some students feel.
Hello. I hope it’s okay to ask a couple more questions. Would 66% with extenuating circumstances still be competitive for colleges which require a first class result?

Are affiliate law applicants to all colleges required to sit the Cambridge law test and interview?

Thank you so much for your responses so far. This has been invaluable to me.
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mh506)
Hello. I hope it’s okay to ask a couple more questions. Would 66% with extenuating circumstances still be competitive for colleges which require a first class result?

Are affiliate law applicants to all colleges required to sit the Cambridge law test and interview?

Thank you so much for your responses so far. This has been invaluable to me.
Without knowing what they are, it's hard to be definite. You'd have to discuss the situation directly with those colleges.

Yes, as far as I am aware they are. Candidates for mature colleges don't have to sit pre-interview assessment, and do an at-interview assessment istead. Given that the CLT is an at-interview assessment, then candidates at mature colleges sit that. No one is made an offer without interviews.
mh506
Rep:
?
(Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions)
Without knowing what they are, it's hard to be definite. You'd have to discuss the situation directly with those colleges.

Yes, as far as I am aware they are. Candidates for mature colleges don't have to sit pre-interview assessment, and do an at-interview assessment istead. Given that the CLT is an at-interview assessment, then candidates at mature colleges sit that. No one is made an offer without interviews.
(Original post by mh506)

Murray Edwards Admissions , Christ's Admissions Peterhouse Admissions
Also if I was to do a GDL due to financial reasons what is the university's policy on admitting GDL students to the LLM?
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’m afraid I don’t know as I don’t handle graduate admissions, you’d need to check the website or ask the Law faculty or one of the colleges’ graduate admissions departments
Christ's Admissions
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mh506)

Hello, sorry to come late to the party - I've been away! Hughes Hall were offering an affiliated entry Law scholarship for 2018 entry, so you could contact them to see whether it's on offer again this year. I think you would be eligible for the Tapp Scholarship at Caius (it doesn't say it's restricted to first time undergraduates).

There are very few non-mature colleges that regularly take affiliated Law students - St John's, Trinity and Downing are the three that spring to mind - and competition for affiliated offers tends to be fierce.

Hope this helps!
mh506
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Christ's Admissions)
Hello, sorry to come late to the party - I've been away! Hughes Hall were offering an affiliated entry Law scholarship for 2018 entry, so you could contact them to see whether it's on offer again this year. I think you would be eligible for the Tapp Scholarship at Caius (it doesn't say it's restricted to first time undergraduates).

There are very few non-mature colleges that regularly take affiliated Law students - St John's, Trinity and Downing are the three that spring to mind - and competition for affiliated offers tends to be fierce.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for this!. I was just wondering what is the standard admission requirement for affiliated Law Students at Christ's? Also how much weighting would A Level results carry at Christ's?
Christ's Admissions
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by mh506)
Thank you so much for this!. I was just wondering what is the standard admission requirement for affiliated Law Students at Christ's? Also how much weighting would A Level results carry at Christ's?
We would usually expect an affiliated applicant to have a First-Class degree, although A-level results might carry some weight if they did not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (283)
15.22%
The paper was reasonable (1033)
55.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (403)
21.68%
It was TERRIBLE (140)
7.53%

Watched Threads