Suggestions on books to read?

Watch
joyceelyse
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys. I’m kinda bored lately so could you guys give me suggestions on what books to read and what they are about? I don’t mind any genre🙂.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Factfulness by Hans Rosling. Non-fiction, basically explains how most things we assume about the world are wrong, giving stats and all that. Also gives advice on how to not be wrong. I think it's an important one to read.
Michiyo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by joyceelyse)
Hey guys. I’m kinda bored lately so could you guys give me suggestions on what books to read and what they are about? I don’t mind any genre🙂.
Here are a few suggestions. If you want more suggestions, feel free to ask; I have at least a few more in mind. :yep:

1. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
This is my all-time favourite book. It is a psychological literary fiction about an impoverished Law student who murders a pawnbroker for her money. What follows is a beautifully written masterpiece in which he must face his conscience and the eventual consequences of his crime. If you want a book with sympathetic characters which shows emotions perfectly and ends in the most satisfying way possible, look no further than Crime and Punishment.

2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The novel is about Jane Eyre, a girl who lives with her abusive aunt and cousins after her parents die. She eventually becomes a governess in the house of a wealthy man, Mr Rochester. They fall in love. Now, I know this might sound like a standard annoying and unrealistic romance, but trust me when I say that Jane Eyre is something else. Even I ended up rooting for Jane and Mr Rochester, and I hate romance books with a passion. It was such a satisfying book and ahead of its time that it is a definite must-read.

3. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
A short dystopian novel about a 'fireman' (person who burns books) who discovers the joy of reading books and goes against the law to keep and read books. However, as it is illegal to read books, his own neighbours and co-workers turn against him and he has to run away. This is an exciting and interesting book with a unique writing style.

4. Candide by Voltaire
This book is about the eponymous Candide. I cannot really say much about this one without spoiling it, but it is a really witty and funny short book. It is one of the few books I consider truly amazing.

5. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
It is about a 'hitchhiker' who travels between galaxies and ends up on Earth, then becomes friends with the last Earthling once the Earth is destroyed early in the book. This is the funniest book I have ever read; make sure to check it out if you want a laugh!
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Quran
Joywire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race' is an extremely insightful and exciting book. I used to think that I was anti-racist, but reading this book made me finally understand racism and how to be anti-racist. A really important read.
Joywire
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joywire)
'Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race' is an extremely insightful and exciting book. I used to think that I was anti-racist, but reading this book made me finally understand racism and how to be anti-racist. A really important read.
Written by Reni Eddo-Lodge btw.
PilboBaggins
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you don't mind reading something deep, I'd recommend Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. It's incredible and really makes you question what you thought you knew about human history!
Paulwyn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We have no idea: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-have-no-idea - Physics book created iun partnership with the guys from Phd comics, breaks amazing theories into simple to understand concepts and leaves you genuinely in awe of the universe!

Magician: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43916.Magician - just a fantastic fantasy novel!

Children of Time: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ildren-of-time - one of the best sci-fi novels i've ever read

Ham On Rye: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38501.Ham_on_Rye anything Bukowski does is gold but this is particularly excellent

Last Exit to Brooklyn: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true - Harrowing
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any book by mike pannett
ketaminekeith337
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Read siege by James Mason.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does it matter whether the original is English writing? reading both English and German novels. Here are my recommendations for English:

Harper Lee - To kill a mockingbird
Jean Louise Finch, called 'Scout', grows up in the fictional city Maycomb in Alabama with her elder brother Jem and their single father Atticus Finch in the 30s. She is talking about their live at that time and what she experienced in an age of the child. As a lawyer, Atticus decided to defend the coloured man Tom Robinson who was accused to raped the daughter of Bob Ewell, Mayella Ewell. In this period of time and during the trial, Scout and her brother learnt racism and intolerance from their children's view. Beside there is the mysterious man, called Boo Radley, in her vicinity...

F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby
Nick Carraway, a young man and securities dealer in the 20s of the United States, lives in the Midwestern and talks about his mysterious and wealthy neighbour, the great Gatsby, who has his habits to celebrate ostentious and excessive great parties in his villa. One day, Nick got an invitation to one of his parties and learnt that Gatsby is always doing this just to be unite with his love again, Daisy. Daisy in turn is married to a wealth man, Thomas Buchanan, long time ago. Thanks to Nick, Gatsby and Daisy comes closer and Gatsby attends to get her favour...

John Williams - Stoner
William Stoner is a child of parents who are working on a farm in Missouri. He is a smart young man and thus his parents told him to go to university of Missouri in Columbia to study agriculture in order to prevent hard work on the field and to help his parents to get wealth with his knowledge later on. When he are studying at university, he began to note that he got a passion for English Literature and his professor, Arthur Sloane, encourages him to keep this way up. After a while, he changes his studies from agriculture to English Literature to get a degree in it. William does not know how to tell his parents that he changed his mind...
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any book by the magnificent author named CGP
anniekeshler
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pick any books written by
Tolkien
Carl Jung
fowlere
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

American gods by Neil Gaiman
Dark Matter Blake Crouch
The Martian by Andy Weir (if you haven't seen the film)

I am currently reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)
x
Hi Michiyo! :hello:

The first two recommendations are so known to me. Your summaries make me curious more than before and tends me to be more target on the novels to read.

Beside, I made my own recommendations in your way of writing. Is number four by Voltaire a philosophical-written novel by any chance?
astroworld
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Innocent Romeo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hotel vendom by Danielle
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (54)
40%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
17.04%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.44%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (12)
8.89%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (15)
11.11%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
8.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
9.63%

Watched Threads