What do you think of Incels?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
massived
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I heard this term Incel and I was interested and heard a lot about on like Twitter and facebook and stuff. So I clicked on their reddit to see what it all about, there are two alternatives reddits, one that mocks them and the other where the incels talking about their problems.
Is it wrong for me to feel sorry for them? Quite a few of them post pictures of their struggles with who they are etc.
Just wondering what you guys thought
blueamaraxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I feel sorry for them in the sense that they are going through mental health issues but in no way more- i think their women hating attitude is just disgusting and tbh, thats the reason they dont get any if they were decent men they would.
blueamaraxx
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Theyre basically men who blame women for their lack of sexual and romantic relationships
Help_Me_Pls_Eghh
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
They disgust me.

"Discussions in incel forums are often characterised by resentment, misanthropy, self pity, misogyny, racism and an entitlement to sex."

There is nothing respectable about them.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
There was one on TSR who kept complaining about women rejecting him, then calling them sluts when they won't date him. Then joking about raping women.

Also had some obsession with wanting to stab his stepbrother and his girlfriend.

How can you feel sorry for that? They have some mental issues that seriously need dealing with, they are a danger to society I feel.

Look at what Elliot Rodger did.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Professional victims that harbour a toxic delusion.

Utter gobshites.
JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I definitely pity them as I do with all small minded groups or people who follow an ideology of division, hatred, etc.

In many cases I'd recommend they seek medical help. In some they just need to grow up and work on their confidence and self-worth.

I can understand how young people going through puberty or the blues could be seduced by their ideology/identity.
Sataris
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
A very misunderstood """group"""
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
They're involuntarily celibate not because they're not good looking, because we've all seen ugly guys who get hot girls because their personality is good - it's because they've been cursed with the unfortunate combination that is ugliness in both looks and personality. If they weren't so toxic and insufferable then they might get by in life, but they blame it on not being aesthetically gifted and on women for being shallow.
DarkIronsBarzakh
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Help_Me_Pls_Eghh)
They disgust me.

"Discussions in incel forums are often characterised by resentment, misanthropy, self pity, misogyny, racism and an entitlement to sex."

There is nothing respectable about them.
you talk like an absolute chad. Get to know an incel and you will know why they are like this. Its not their fault.
math42
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2briZ6fB0

This video puts it better than I can really and has informed my opinion. They are, in a sense, emotional self-harmers, victims of self-fulfilling prophecies who are completely unable to think rationally and only accept information that informs their self-loathing, often woman-loathing, narrative. I myself am borderline involuntarily celibate (been a couple of years; the reason I say borderline is that I don't really seek out relationships or sex or anything, but I would probably jump at a clear opportunity), not that I am a part of the community, and I really understand the emotions that fuel these people, having often been prone to wallow in self-hatred and self-defeating narratives, finding a perverse pleasure in telling myself that I can never amount to anything and that I am doomed to failure and that I am incapable of changing this.

These communities are not remotely helpful; they are (as I think this video puts it? I dunno, watched it a couple of weeks back) essentially virtual razor-blades. People get dragged into them and use them as a way of finding some twisted form of identity and agency - in the wake of rejection and loneliness, they feel powerless and useless, and they want something to cling onto, so they cling onto this bizarre, often completely unrealistic image of themselves, until they drag themselves further and further towards actually becoming this image of a disgusting, unlovable, socially incapable freak, giving them more and more vindication. But even if someone fits this damning description to some extent, there is always scope for change, and it is sad that these people can't realise that. They just hide behind a facade of rationality, claiming that they can't be loved because their jawline isn't prominent enough or their hands are too small or their **** is too small or they aren't "alpha" enough, and that if they ever do find a partner they'll just get cheated on because they're oh so unmanly and women could never really want them. All the while ignoring the obvious reality that women are not a monolith and that countless men with supposedly "undesirable" features have found happy relationships.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
i think it's really sad and scary tbh. i saw a mini documentary recently and these guys barely have a life. i also heard they think the government should supply them with prostitutes (wtf?). like if they could just change their approach to women, i'm sure they wouldn't be involuntary celibate anymore. there are lonely women out there as well and they don't all have high standards.
username3638550
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
There was one on TSR who kept complaining about women rejecting him, then calling them sluts when they won't date him. Then joking about raping women.

Also had some obsession with wanting to stab his stepbrother and his girlfriend.

How can you feel sorry for that? They have some mental issues that seriously need dealing with, they are a danger to society I feel.

Look at what Elliot Rodger did.
And guys like that wonder why they don't get laid. They're ****ing psychos.
jaybirds
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Its a very strange phenomenon building up a hateful identity centered around not getting laid lol. I kinda get where they're coming from with the frustration that comes lack of intimacy, however how vicious they treat both men and especially women, its hard to feel bad for them. This community is creating dangerous people - like elliot rodger. I get the impression that they blame everything and everyone but themselves for their issues like women, other men and genetics
Pidge Gunderson
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Some incels aren't even bad looking (i.e. Elliot Rodgers). They're just mentally unstable/ have ****ing disgusting personalities.
-_alex_-
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I feel bad for some of them, but not all. A lot of the most vocal ones have some really disgusting views about women, and some really twisted views about society in general, though I'm sure not all of them do. I think a lot of them are just suffering from loneliness and looking for a community who understands them, but sadly get drawn into a self-fulfilling prophecy whereby they conclude that no woman will ever be interested in them, and then by the very nature of their community make this true by alienating themselves from all women with their view that they are and will always be in inferior outcast that no woman would look twice at.

As with most communities there are some bad people and some good people, but as far as incels go none of them are helping themselves, most are in-fact making their situation much worse, and I would argue anyone in the incel community, good or bad, should really reassess whether or not their views and general outlook or doing more harm than good, for themselves and others. In my opinion the existence of such a community does more harm than good.
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I don't condone what they say, and I think that they have not helped themselves by congregating in herds on the internet. They create echo-chambers of negativity, and in turn create a bad image for themselves.

I want to say for a second here that I will be lumping a few similar subsets together here, and that some people may be purists and say only the rape threatening ones are really incels, but that's not where the term started at, and that's not how I'm using it.

However, I do pity them. Some of them are unable to form romantic attachment, and it is through factors outside their own control, whether it be autism, deformity or any other such ailment. There are a lot of people in some of these incel communities who are not belligerent, and just want a safe space where they can vent, and lift each other up. I don't support communities like r/inceltears because, while they keep an eye on all the terrifying ******** incels put out, they also genuinely regard them as subhuman.

There is definitely a stigma surrounding being a man, and being a virgin, even today, and I think that incels are a result of that.

People are also quick to assume that this issue is entirely the fault of the incels, but what I would say is that there is genuinely less sex out there for these men. This study indicates that men are having less sex, and that it is a decline in marital sex, rather than a decline in promiscuous sex that is causing this. This is likely down to a decline in marriage, as women are supporting themselves more and more, and as such do not need to find a man to support them.

Is that a good thing? Yes. How can we therefore solve the incel dilemma? Probably through dismantling years of toxic masculinity which treats women as trophies.
username3638550
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jaybirds)
Its a very strange phenomenon building up a hateful identity centered around not getting laid lol. I kinda get where they're coming from with the frustration that comes lack of intimacy, however how vicious they treat both men and especially women, its hard to feel bad for them. This community is creating dangerous people - like elliot rodger. I get the impression that they blame everything and everyone but themselves for their issues like women, other men and genetics
They aren't entitled to sex though, so I don't see how they can get like that.
jaybirds
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Conconz)
They aren't entitled to sex though, so I don't see how they can get like that.
Exactly!!! No one is
NotNotBatman
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Some are just vile people complaining about Chad all day, but not doing anything to improve their lives.

And I think some may have undiagnosed conditions such as aspergers. I imagine being in a world where everyone was born with a manual that you didn't get and not having a diagnosis of it makes you feel resentful towards yourself and others.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (47)
12.21%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
2.08%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (98)
25.45%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (34)
8.83%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (184)
47.79%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.64%

Watched Threads