Preparing for MAT Watch

thenbhd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Not sure whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge yet. I am planning on sitting both the MAT and STEP papers anyway. But my question is: Do i have enough time to prepare for the MAT to an 'oxford standard'? If not, then i don't think i want to risk applying to oxford.

Also, any good resources for preparing for the MAT? Goes through each topic with questions and solutions.

Thanks in advance!
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by thenbhd)
Not sure whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge yet. I am planning on sitting both the MAT and STEP papers anyway. But my question is: Do i have enough time to prepare for the MAT to an 'oxford standard'? If not, then i don't think i want to risk applying to oxford.

Also, any good resources for preparing for the MAT? Goes through each topic with questions and solutions.

Thanks in advance!
It's hard to answer definitively - have you looked at any MAT questions? If they don't look too daunting then you've time (2 months) to prepare. You have after all more than a month before deciding on Oxford or Cambridge, so spend some time on the MAT during September. The past papers come with data on the marks achieved.

Do you have a preference for Oxford or Cambridge, based on the city or degree? It might be easiest to decide between the two first. If you really have no preference you can postpone preparation by choosing Cambridge, but STEP is hardly a walk in the park and you would not know whether you had achieved any offer until next August (half of Cambridge's offers aren't met for maths).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (7)
41.18%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (4)
23.53%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (2)
11.76%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (1)
5.88%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (3)
17.65%

Watched Threads