The Student Room Group

Missing Classes to Work ?

Hey guys so I just got a job. They told me I could turn part time when I want but the working hours would be 11am-to 5pm three times per week.

What are your experiences when it comes to working during your studies ? Have you missed classes to work ?
How did it work out ?
Original post by shalla13
Hey guys so I just got a job. They told me I could turn part time when I want but the working hours would be 11am-to 5pm three times per week.

What are your experiences when it comes to working during your studies ? Have you missed classes to work ?
How did it work out ?

ideally you don't want to be missing too many lectures, some universities can record them but if they don't then you wont get the full picture just from notes and you'd have to hope you can use holiday time when you get exams.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
ideally you don't want to be missing too many lectures, some universities can record them but if they don't then you wont get the full picture just from notes and you'd have to hope you can use holiday time when you get exams.

Hello.

Thank you for your answer.
Yeah i don't want to lose out on many lectures. I know our lectures are mostly recorded but still. That would be a shame but I really need the money. So...

No choice. Should I inform my uni of the circumstances beforehand ?
Hello.

Thank you for your answer.
Yeah i don't want to lose out on many lectures. I know our lectures are mostly recorded but still. That would be a shame but I really need the money. So...

No choice. Should I inform my uni of the circumstances beforehand ?

if they record attendance you could get a bit of trouble from them so i would say its up to you if you want to mention it
Attendance might be compulsory at your university. At mine, for my course, you don't have to attend lectures (but they're rarely recorded and slides are often brief), whereas seminar attendance is monitored and you're brought in for a meeting if you miss more than a few/without reasonable circumstances.

But even if none of your attendance is monitored, I'd be very concerned about repeatedly missing the contact hours for the same modules. If you could change the days you miss of university each week then it might be okay, but if you're always missing one module's lectures and seminars you're potentially going to struggle with it overall. Even if you find the content easy, you don't necessarily know what you're missing, e.g. in one lecture, a tutor unofficially explained the topics that were going to be on the exam, information that otherwise wasn't provided.
Reply 5

Realistically, that means that those will be three days that you can't be at university.

You don't say (perhaps you don't know) which days of the week those will be. Missing even one day a week of your course (assuming two of those working days are Saturday and Sunday) is likely to cause you problems.

If your hours are 11-5, presumably you wouldn't even be able to attend a 9am lecture on that day.

You might be able to catch up on lectures if your university records them. But whether or not they're recorded will depend on the university and what sort of room the lecture is held in (not all lecturing rooms will have recording equipment). If they are recorded, you need to watch them as soon as you can so you don't get behind.

If there's attendance recording, your absence will be noted. Even if there isn't formal recording of attendance, if the lecture group is small enough it's possible your absence will be noted too.

If your course involves presentations or seminars or group work, you'd better hope they're on days you're not working.
Agree with those expressing concern about missing so many hours of uni.

Is there no way that you can potentially find another job that might be a little more student-friendly? Working in a restaurant or looking for something on campus at your uni, like at your SU?
Reply 7
Original post by Michelle Bieger
Agree with those expressing concern about missing so many hours of uni.

Is there no way that you can potentially find another job that might be a little more student-friendly? Working in a restaurant or looking for something on campus at your uni, like at your SU?

I understand that. Well the working days do include saturday. I haven't even got my schedule yet so I'll have to see which days I will be able to choose.

I'm not in the UK atm. It's a UK uni but it's based in France. In France , student friendly jobs are just part-time jobs but here, they don't record attendence.

The mission only will last until mid October so maybe I could just explain that to my uni ?
I don't know.

I have two jobs, one commission based job that I can pretty much do when I want at any time and this street marketing job that I just got. It's a mission that will last 1 month and a half. Paid just over 2000 euros.

They have missions like this one each month.
I guess if all the missions have those working hours, I won't be able to work for them anymore. Unless if they finetune my schedule around my uni hours. Which I highly doubt...

Aargh. I might just have to just do that mission and then find another more flexible job.

Finding that here is like trying to find a diamond in the local pond.
So frustrating.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest