sienna2266
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
for 14.5 I don't quite understand the context of the question as in what is happening here with Nasa, the rover curiosity thingamajiggy and mars and earth so I am finding it difficult to interpret. can someone please help
Name:  21.PNG
Views: 32
Size:  434.5 KB
Attachment 770698770700
Attached files
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
14.5: How long does the radio signal, travelling at 300,000km/s, take to travel the 248M km to Earth? Add that onto the time it left (0748).
sienna2266
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
14.5: How long does the radio signal, travelling at 300,000km/s, take to travel the 248M km to Earth? Add that onto the time it left (0748).
Thanks but how did you infer this from the question? This is quite random but I think Nasa is some rocket and I have no idea what the rover curiosity is and how it is linked to mars and earth.

Could you pls help me understand this? Just wanted to understand what is going on with these things before I apply the maths.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sienna2266)
Thanks but how did you infer this from the question? This is quite random but I think Nasa is some rocket and I have no idea what the rover curiosity is and how it is linked to mars and earth.

Could you pls help me understand this? Just wanted to understand what is going on with these things before I apply the maths.
"The first data sent to NASA by the rover Curiosity left at 7:48 am"

Curiosity was a robot vehicle, but you don't need to know this. All you need to see is that data was sent to NASA (who are on Earth) at a given time from Mars. You do need to know that Curiosity was on Mars at the time though - the question could have stated that.

NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration. It's the US space research and exploration organisation.
username3687396
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sienna2266)
for 14.5 I don't quite understand the context of the question as in what is happening here with Nasa, the rover curiosity thingamajiggy and mars and earth so I am finding it difficult to interpret. can someone please help
Name:  21.PNG
Views: 32
Size:  434.5 KB
Attachment 770698770700
Firstly, you need to convert the 300,000 km and 248 mil km into standard form, and divide 248 mil by 300,000 in order to get the amount of seconds. Then divide the number of seconds by 60 (number of seconds in a minute), to get the number of minutes between the two. You should get 826.6, which is 13.7 minutes, which rounds to 14 minutes. Then 7:48am + 0:14 gives 8:02am, which is your answer.
sienna2266
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
"The first data sent to NASA by the rover Curiosity left at 7:48 am"

Curiosity was a robot vehicle, but you don't need to know this. All you need to see is that data was sent to NASA (who are on Earth) at a given time from Mars. You do need to know that Curiosity was on Mars at the time though - the question could have stated that.

NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration. It's the US space research and exploration organisation.
Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (324)
56.15%
I don't have everything I need (253)
43.85%

Watched Threads