NEW YEAR 11: do you think GCSE English (both) are suited for individual people Watch

GAMER12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I don't know if it is me but I'm trying to revise for GCSE English but I find it difficult because it's based on interpretation and we all look at it differently so how can I pass that. Btw I'm doing aqa
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It doesn't matter how you see something it just matters how you analyse/evaluate it. You can even say how you think other people would interpret something, point out what makes you think that, and get decent points out of that.
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
For English you can basically say anything, and if you say it right and can evidence it, you can get top marks.

You could make the argument that the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars are the bad guys and as long as it is well argued, and well evidenced you'd do well.
GAMER12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by vicvic38)
For English you can basically say anything, and if you say it right and can evidence it, you can get top marks.

You could make the argument that the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars are the bad guys and as long as it is well argued, and well evidenced you'd do well.
Is that all? Don't you have to use fancy sentence starters? Or could I just state how the writer does it and support in by evidence and then highlight the language device with word choice then state the writers intention and focus on the reader and then start my new paragraph . Right now I'm working on a grade 3l In lang and 3h in lit
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by GAMER12)
Is that all? Don't you have to use fancy sentence starters? Or could I just state how the writer does it and support in by evidence and then highlight the language device with word choice then state the writers intention and focus on the reader and then start my new paragraph . Right now I'm working on a grade 3l In lang and 3h in lit
Well, you might want to dress it up a bit, but what you want to be doing is do the whole PEEL thing. Or PETAL if your school does that. For each paragraph, you make a point, you evidence it, explain it using evidence, and link it to the question.

So if you had something like "Discuss the Morality of the Rebels in Star Wars," you could form an argument that they were, in fact, the bad guys, and a point might go like this.

The Rebel Alliance would not have been able to institute a stable government, had they been able to topple the Empire's Forces [Point]. This can be seen through the small size of the high command of the Rebel Alliance, and the fact that there appears to be no plan to stabilise planets in what would be an ensuing power vacuum [evidence]. The Alliance clearly idolises the previous Republic, but without the Jedi to hold everything together, as they did in the Republic's final years, the new government would collapse. Especially as the Rebel high command does not have the man power to force compliance in a Republic like state. That would clearly lead to another Authoritarian Empire. If the Rebels were to just leave the planets alone, they would likely descend into chaos, as many nefarious groups would attempt to gain power [explanation of evidence]. Thus, given that the Rebel Alliance would either plunge the galaxy into a new, perhaps worse Empire, or would lead it to become Pandemonium, we can say that the Rebels winning would be a bad outcome. Therefore, they are bad guys. [Linking back to my original argument]

That is a fairly simple paragraph structure that will get your point across as simply and as clearly as possible. Clarity is key, and will get you a lot of marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads