The Student Room Group

Are my gcse grades good enough for dentistry 2018?

My GCSE grades:
Bio - 9
Chem - 9
Physics - 8
Maths - 8
Religious studies - 8
Geography - 8
English literature - 7
English language - 7
French - 7
Economics - A*
Computer science - 6

7 A* 3A's and 1B?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by qw56e5623
My GCSE grades:
Bio - 9
Chem - 9
Physics - 8
Maths - 8
Religious studies - 8
Geography - 8
English literature - 7
English language - 7
French - 7
Economics - A*
Computer science - 6

7 A* 3A's and 1B?

Yes they're definitely good enough. I'm surprised you even needed to ask.

Focus on the rest of your application though like personal statement, A2 predicted grades, interview practice and UKCAT score, as most emphasis is put on these parts of your application. GCSE's are only looked at to see if they surpass the entry requirements and are only used to compare students when competition for places is very high, but your grades are excellent so you will have no issue with this.

Good luck:smile:
Reply 2
I got
Maths - 9
Bio - 9
Chem - 9
Physics - 9
English Lit - 9
English Lang - 8
RE - 8
Computer Science - 8
Spanish - 8
History - 7

9A* and an A

And my teacher said that I probably needed more for dentistry bro... so I’m sorry but I think you should retake next year
Original post by bilalsheraz7
I got
Maths - 9
Bio - 9
Chem - 9
Physics - 9
English Lit - 9
English Lang - 8
RE - 8
Computer Science - 8
Spanish - 8
History - 7

9A* and an A

And my teacher said that I probably needed more for dentistry bro... so I’m sorry but I think you should retake next year

.....Is this you trying to narrow down the competition or what......
Reply 4
Original post by turn-to-page394
.....Is this you trying to narrow down the competition or what......

nah, I'm saying that only if you have 12a*you should try for something like dentistry

the average grades at my chool were 11a* out of 220 students and our teachers still said only those with 11/12a* acc have a chance at being employed in a field they would like in the future
Reply 5
so in conclusion, if you dont get straight nines and eights, you're below average right?
Reply 6
This page has a useful overview of the grade requirements for different dentistry programmes: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15907-dentistry-entry-requirements. It's a little out of date, but you can check each university's website to confirm how the new grading system is affecting their specific requirements. The point is that your GCSEs are definitely good enough! Bear in mind, of course, that your UKCAT score will also be a pretty significant factor.
nah, I'm saying that only if you have 12a*you should try for something like dentistry

the average grades at my chool were 11a* out of 220 students and our teachers still said only those with 11/12a* acc have a chance at being employed in a field they would like in the future

so in conclusion, if you dont get straight nines and eights, you're below average right?

Somehow I doubt that is genuinely something your teachers have said but if it is, then they should definitely do some of their own research rather than misleading and demotivating students. At your school, if you have 10a* are you automatically barred from applying to uni or what??? And for many university courses, as long as you meet the GCSE entry requirements, they couldn't care less how many a* you got.

Also, not every school will even let you take 12 gcses in the first place for timetabling reasons or whatever. My school only let us take max 11 gcses. Most people took 10. And a lot of people got into their top choice uni just fine and yes, people got into Oxbridge/dentistry/medicine.

There's so much that's blatantly wrong with your reasoning. If you're not aware of how much you've been misled, then you need to do your own research. It'll be good for you. And if you're trolling, it's a pathetic attempt and I'm sure you can find something better with your life.

Sorry OP for the spam and I forgot to say earlier - your grades seem good to me! GCSEs aren't the only factor to take into account (there's the UKCAT/PS/etc) so check entry requirements and make sure you're applying with your strengths. Good luck!
Reply 8
Somehow I doubt that is genuinely something your teachers have said but if it is, then they should definitely do some of their own research rather than misleading and demotivating students. At your school, if you have 10a* are you automatically barred from applying to uni or what??? And for many university courses, as long as you meet the GCSE entry requirements, they couldn't care less how many a* you got.

Also, not every school will even let you take 12 gcses in the first place for timetabling reasons or whatever. My school only let us take max 11 gcses. Most people took 10. And a lot of people got into their top choice uni just fine and yes, people got into Oxbridge/dentistry/medicine.

There's so much that's blatantly wrong with your reasoning. If you're not aware of how much you've been misled, then you need to do your own research. It'll be good for you. And if you're trolling, it's a pathetic attempt and I'm sure you can find something better with your life.

Sorry OP for the spam and I forgot to say earlier - your grades seem good to me! GCSEs aren't the only factor to take into account (there's the UKCAT/PS/etc) so check entry requirements and make sure you're applying with your strengths. Good luck!

so tell me, do u want to be a doctor or dentist. and im assuming ur pakistani or indian right?
so tell me, do u want to be a doctor or dentist. and im assuming ur pakistani or indian right?

Exactly how does what I study make a difference to what I just wrote? But yes to the former.

And I'm not sure how you reached that assumption or how it's even relevant but I'm neither.
Exactly how does what I study make a difference to what I just wrote? But yes to the former.

And I'm not sure how you reached that assumption or how it's even relevant but I'm neither.

ur defo not english u paki bastah
Damn gotta be smart to be a dentist. Who knew
Reply 12
Should i just give up on dentistry?

Quick Reply

Latest