The Student Room Group

Am I wanted by the police?

Sunday morning I got caught stealing a five pounds bottle of wine, I actually made no attempts to hide it when I was in the shop, I more or less walked straight out with it. This was a stupid thing to do I am aware of that so I don't need any lectures please.

The man working in the shop seen me and shouted over to me as I was leaving and then shouted again as I left and chased me, I started running and eventually got away. So I'm obviously on their CCTV.

In 2016 I received a caution for shop lifting, I used to have a really bad habit of shoplifting small items, nothing too expensive and it was a really bad habit of mine. Since then I've not shop lifted. From what I can remember when I was caught, I gave a fake address to the police but they did take my finger prints and took a photocopy of my ID.

I'm not known to the police but they would have my finger prints so I'm quite worried that I'm going to get a knock on my door any day. Would they be able to find out where I live? If they were to call the Tesco near by and show them the CCTV, they would recognize me and I think they know where I live, so they could find out that way. Would cops bother to go through those lengths to call up other stores around the area to see if they know my face?

Has anybody been in a situation like this before? So far I've heard nothing but I'm waiting on a knock. If they don't knock at the door, am I wanted? Will the police be looking out for me?

I'm never doing this again and I'm quite scared, I was really drunk when I took the bottle. I'm hoping there's a small chance that the store didn't bother to call the police, because some stores don't always call when it's something of small value...
Original post by Anonymous
Sunday morning I got caught stealing a five pounds bottle of wine, I actually made no attempts to hide it when I was in the shop, I more or less walked straight out with it. This was a stupid thing to do I am aware of that so I don't need any lectures please.

The man working in the shop seen me and shouted over to me as I was leaving and then shouted again as I left and chased me, I started running and eventually got away. So I'm obviously on their CCTV.

In 2016 I received a caution for shop lifting, I used to have a really bad habit of shoplifting small items, nothing too expensive and it was a really bad habit of mine. Since then I've not shop lifted. From what I can remember when I was caught, I gave a fake address to the police but they did take my finger prints and took a photocopy of my ID.

I'm not known to the police but they would have my finger prints so I'm quite worried that I'm going to get a knock on my door any day. Would they be able to find out where I live? If they were to call the Tesco near by and show them the CCTV, they would recognize me and I think they know where I live, so they could find out that way. Would cops bother to go through those lengths to call up other stores around the area to see if they know my face?

Has anybody been in a situation like this before? So far I've heard nothing but I'm waiting on a knock. If they don't knock at the door, am I wanted? Will the police be looking out for me?

I'm never doing this again and I'm quite scared, I was really drunk when I took the bottle. I'm hoping there's a small chance that the store didn't bother to call the police, because some stores don't always call when it's something of small value...

I hope you are wanted because you clearly haven't learned your lesson from last time.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
I hope you are wanted because you clearly haven't learned your lesson from last time.

Great advice sir, you've been just great. Tell me something I don't already know instead of lecturing me (Something I am not here for)
Great advice sir, you've been just great. Tell me something I don't already know instead of lecturing me (Something I am not here for)

A sentence isn't a lecture.
Reply 4
This was a stupid thing to do I am aware of that so I don't need any lectures please.

Tell it to the judge sunshine
Reply 5
how would they find out where you live unless they have cctv on your residence?

imho you're fine. cops don't waste their time on petty theft when there is bigger fish to catch.

If you received a caution, then you do have a police record (not a criminal record per se, but it will still show up on some CRB checks (e.g. Dr,s teachers etc)). The one exception is if you were under 18 at the time you received your caution in 2016. If that was the case, then there should have been a responsible adult (e.g. parent /guardian) who was made aware at the time you were arrested. I don't see how you could have given a fake address, as I believe they normally look for some kind of confirmation / proof that you live at the address you claim to. Even so, if they link your full name and your date of birth, that's all they need to trace you .

If the security guard chased you, then it's likely they will have a photo of you and you will be challenged anytime you try and go back into that Tesco store. What's more, it's likely they will have passed your photo on to the other Tesco store (and they possibly have a database of dodgy characters) as well as security of the shopping mall /precinct if applicable; so you might want to avoid any Tesco stores for the foreseeable future.

It may only be a small item you took, but as far as the law is concerned, theft is theft... it doesn't matter if it's a car or a can of coke. It's up to the store if they wish to pursue the complaint (and I think Tesco has a policy of always prosecuting). It depends on how much evidence they've got that you've committed the act (e.g. did they catch you taking the item on CCTV, have they got a clear view of your face etc.) as to whether they will pursue the matter. The fact that the security guard chased you may mean that it then becomes personal

If they do find out about your caution, then it's extremely unlikely you'll get let off with another one, and you're likely to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. IF you were prosecuted, from what you've said the worst you can expect is a fine of double your weekly income (plus the criminal conviction obviously).
piss on the cctv camera to show dominance and delete the evidence
Talking from experience;

They won't go to the lengths of fingerprinting.

The main course of action will be the CCTV footage. They will run that through their systems to see if you are identifiable. If not, they may publish it on social media. There's no hard and fast rule on that, it will depend on the officer who is dealing with the matter.

Your best option? Return to the store, own up, pay them a fiver and apologise. They will accept your apology and they will ring the police and say not to bother as it's sorted.

Be the bigger man and pay up and apologise.

My brother in law is a serial shoplifters. He has been banned from all Sainsbury's stores.

He has also stolen from marks and Spencer. His life is miserable because he is always looking over his shoulder. He only does this when he is drunk. He is currently harbouring stolen goods and you have no idea how much I want to turn him in. But it is my husband's job to do that.

You have probably got away with things so far. But please think. Take charge of your life. You are young. Don't throw away your life on the back of stupidity
Reply 10
How did you get caught the first time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending