DGNathan96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is anybody going to be studying this course for the academic year 2018/2019?
mark.s__
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DGNathan96)
Is anybody going to be studying this course for the academic year 2018/2019?
I'm a current student, but if you need any advice/tips feel free to reach out, it's a very intensive programme.
DGNathan96
Rep:
?
(Original post by mark.s__)
I'm a current student, but if you need any advice/tips feel free to reach out, it's a very intensive programme.
What is the biggest step up I’ll need to take to handle the intensity of the course from getting a 1st in a BSc Accounting and management degree?
mark.s__
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is the biggest step up I’ll need to take to handle the intensity of the course from getting a 1st in a BSc Accounting and management degree?
Time management is probably the biggest step up, the exams on the programme mirror those to ICAEW and are extremely time constrained. Liverpool also has a 'demanding' degree classification system. If you are looking to obtain a Distinction: - You need to have a weighted average of 70%+ AND get 70%+ in your Dissertation AND have 90 total credits at 70%+

Also it's worth a note that Law, Corporate Reporting and Strategic Business Management are optional and you don't have to sit these externally with ICAEW. Whilst it may be appealing to have 14/15 exams done upon completion, it can be exhausting for many so be prepared to know your limits.

In terms of dealing with the intensity of the programme, best advice I can give you is to find something to do away from the campus, it is a relatively small campus with not much to do, so whether it's the Gym or a social event I'd encourage to endure a different environment periodically.
Nandhini S
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also it's worth a note that Law, Corporate Reporting and Strategic Business Management are optional and you don't have to sit these externally with ICAEW. Whilst it may be appealing to have 14/15 exams done upon completion, it can be exhausting for many so be prepared to know your limits.
Hi, I recently graduated from Middlesex University in Dubai, majoring in Accounting and Finance and I'm already exempted from the certified level papers. Would I have to attempt these exams in the program again? Also, Do i need to apply for prior credits before joining?
DGNathan96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nandhini S)
Hi, I recently graduated from Middlesex University in Dubai, majoring in Accounting and Finance and I'm already exempted from the certified level papers. Would I have to attempt these exams in the program again? Also, Do i need to apply for prior credits before joining?
Hi, I’m doing the course now so I can confirm that would you need to do the certificate exams. This is necessary in order to finish the course. However, based on your previous education in your degree, these exams should not be difficult for you to pass. you also dont need to apply for cpl before you join. you will do this once you start the course. Hope this helps.
mark.s__
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I’m doing the course now so I can confirm that would you need to do the certificate exams. This is necessary in order to finish the course. However, based on your previous education in your degree, these exams should not be difficult for you to pass. you also dont need to apply for cpl before you join. you will do this once you start the course. Hope this helps.
Agree with Nathan's points. One thing I will add, if you have the Law exemption from your current degree, I would apply for the Law exemption once you join the programme. Although the programme gives you the option to sit Law with additional teaching days and pay for you to sit the paper at a PearonVue centre, it is worth just claiming the CPL. Less work to do, and you haven't got that risk of failing the Law paper -- particularly because some graduate positions will ask you "Have you ever failed a professional qualification exam?"
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Agree with Nathan's points. One thing I will add, if you have the Law exemption from your current degree, I would apply for the Law exemption once you join the programme. Although the programme gives you the option to sit Law with additional teaching days and pay for you to sit the paper at a PearonVue centre, it is worth just claiming the CPL. Less work to do, and you haven't got that risk of failing the Law paper -- particularly because some graduate positions will ask you "Have you ever failed a professional qualification exam?"
Just out of interest, did many UK based students take the course and how have they found job prospects since finishing? Have employers understood what the course is and targeted it for trainees?
Nandhini S
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I’m doing the course now so I can confirm that would you need to do the certificate exams. This is necessary in order to finish the course.
Agree with Nathan's points. One thing I will add, if you have the Law exemption from your current degree, I would apply for the Law exemption once you join the programme. "
Thank you so much to both of you for your replies. It was really helpful. I do a few questions if you don't mind answering.
1. I heard that a couple of the final exams neede to be attempted both internally and to the ICAEW separately. Is it true?
2. On the website, its mentioned that only eligible students will be prepared to sit for the advanced level exams. What does that mean?
3. Is the course similar to learning ICAEW, where exams are attempted after learning each module or is it more like semester-wise exams like any other postgraduate course?
4. Finally, is the course opted by students who just want to pursue ICAEW or does the postgraduate degree itself have any value like other masters degree(if failed to attain the eligibility criteria?)
DGNathan96
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Just out of interest, did many UK based students take the course and how have they found job prospects since finishing? Have employers understood what the course is and targeted it for trainees?
Currently I believe there is only a few UK students on the course, many students come from abroad, in particular China, Malaysia and India. In terms of job prospects, I have heard from previous students that they have had massive success. The strategic decision to have the programme in London is also a fantastic bonus as it surrounds you with the best organisations in the world for accounting, to communicate and apply with these firms.
mark.s__
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much to both of you for your replies. It was really helpful. I do a few questions if you don't mind answering.
1. I heard that a couple of the final exams neede to be attempted both internally and to the ICAEW separately. Is it true?
2. On the website, its mentioned that only eligible students will be prepared to sit for the advanced level exams. What does that mean?
3. Is the course similar to learning ICAEW, where exams are attempted after learning each module or is it more like semester-wise exams like any other postgraduate course?
4. Finally, is the course opted by students who just want to pursue ICAEW or does the postgraduate degree itself have any value like other masters degree(if failed to attain the eligibility criteria?)
Hi Nandhini S,

1. That is correct, ICAEW does not award exemptions for advanced level papers, so in order to achieve your MSc and the ICAEW exam credit you will have to sit the University paper in May and the ICAEW paper in July.
2. To be eligible to sit the July external exams, you must have passed your Midterms and Semester 1 exams. However, if you do fail a Midterm exam but pass your S1 exams, if you sit the Certificate paper directly with ICAEW and pass, then Liverpool will still allow you to sit the external paper(s) and cover your exam fees for the advanced papers.
3. It is a semesterly assessment method (3 midterms in October, 1 midterm in March, 1 external Law exam in April (optional), 4 exams in May, 2 external exams in July (optional). Plus your dissertation over the summer.
4. The programme is heavily weighted towards a professional qualification. My honest opinion, if you are looking more for the MSc credentials, there are other programmes which hold equal value and doesn't put you under the same level of pressure.
DGNathan96
Rep:
?
1. I believe the course structure is four mid term exams and 8 end of term exams spread. These are four all the certificate (except law) and professional level exams.
2. The performance of students is whether they are entered for the law and advanced level exams by the university, performing well will give you the option to sit these exams. The university is unlikely to offer this option to you if you are struggling with the programme, but this does not mean you can't do them at a later date. Remember this programme is essentially taking multiple years of exams and compressing them into one year.
3. The exams are structured to be similar (if not identical) to the real ICAEW exams. This is stressed massivly by the university and their teaching staff as in order to have this course gain as many exceptions (CPL) as it does, they follow strict requirements and have a partnership with the ICAEW. Exams for this year I believ are layed out to be 3 mid terms in the first time (I am actually sitting 3 exams in less than 2 weeks). 4 exams in January. A mid term in February and 4 final exams in May. Then a dissertation over Summer and any exams you have been entered for additionally.
4. The course allows you to gain both the ICAEW qualification and a masters degree qualification. If you want to pursue some other accounting qualification, then this course is unlikely to be what you are after as it is designed specifically around the ICAEW. If you are looking to obtain the ACCA qualifcation then the International Accounting programme is more likely to be appealing. The choice is dependent upon which qualification you prefer.
mark.s__
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
Currently I believe there is only a few UK students on the course, many students come from abroad, in particular China, Malaysia and India. In terms of job prospects, I have heard from previous students that they have had massive success. The strategic decision to have the programme in London is also a fantastic bonus as it surrounds you with the best organisations in the world for accounting, to communicate and apply with these firms.
For my cohort, I would say that approximately 10% were UK students, with the remainder dotted around the globe across 13 other countries, predominantly from China.

Most employers have been fine with the programme, it is endorsed by ICAEW. However, some employers are warmer to the programme than others. Particularly as the professional services firms have a "set training path" for each intake. Therefore, if a handful of graduates are arriving with 14 exams completed it can be an administrative burden for them. My cohort has probably seen the highest percentage of students from the course go straight from completion into a graduate scheme in its five-year run; Ranging from professional services, banking, WAM or industry. Nevertheless, in academia five-years is still quite fresh, meaning different employers treat the programme very differently.
Nandhini S
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Nandhini S,

1. That is correct, ICAEW does not award exemptions for advanced level papers, so in order to achieve your MSc and the ICAEW exam credit you will have to sit the University paper in May and the ICAEW paper in July.
1. I believe the course structure is four mid term exams and 8 end of term exams spread. These are four all the certificate (except law) and professional level exams.

Thank you for your detailed answers. Really helped me. Will university cover the fees for the advanced level exams attempted externally too?
Overall, how's the quality of education and student life?
DGNathan96
Rep:
?
Thank you for your detailed answers. Really helped me. Will university cover the fees for the advanced level exams attempted externally too?
Overall, how's the quality of education and student life?
I believe the university may contribute to the entry fees for the exams outside the programme but this is dependent upon your performance. The quality of the teaching is excellent. The team are definitely the best teachers I have ever had in education. Typically teaching is 3 to 4 days a week from 9am to 4/4:30pm with short breaks 2 short breaks in the morning and afternoon and an hour at lunchtime. They make a good balance between learning and practice in the classes in each day and it always feels engaging, especially when compared to traditional university lectures you may be familiar with which involve hours of of the lecturer speaking with little engagement. The student life is very good, the whole course feels like a team of students and everyone is helpful towards each other.
Nandhini S
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Nandhini S,
Hi again,

I just got my offer letter for the MSC Accounting course and I need some guidance regarding the following:

1. In the module details section of the course, only eight modules are mentioned. Passing these eight modules with 55% will guarantee exemptions from all 11 certificate and professional papers (except law)?

2. How long is the dissertation for?

3. To sit for the external exams for the advanced level papers in July, can it only be written in the UK?

4. Also, do I need to write the case study paper externally with the ICAEW?

5. Regarding the scholarship's eligibility, when will the decisions be announced. How much can one expect considering I'm a graduate with first class honors?

6. Upon graduation with exemptions, do we need to apply for CPL on our own or is it already implied with the degree?
mark.s__
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi again,

I just got my offer letter for the MSC Accounting course and I need some guidance regarding the following:

1. In the module details section of the course, only eight modules are mentioned. Passing these eight modules with 55% will guarantee exemptions from all 11 certificate and professional papers (except law)?

2. How long is the dissertation for?

3. To sit for the external exams for the advanced level papers in July, can it only be written in the UK?

4. Also, do I need to write the case study paper externally with the ICAEW?

5. Regarding the scholarship's eligibility, when will the decisions be announced. How much can one expect considering I'm a graduate with first class honors?

6. Upon graduation with exemptions, do we need to apply for CPL on our own or is it already implied with the degree?
Congratulations on your offer.

1. That is correct:
ACUL 700 - 20% October Mid-Term [Principles of Taxation] ~ 80% January Exam [Tax Compliance]
ACUL 701 - 20% October Mid-Term [Accounting] ~ 80% January Exam [Financial Accounting and Reporting]
ACUL 702 - 20% October Mid-Term [Assurance] ~ 80% January Exam [Audit and Assurance]
ACUL703 - Business Planning Taxation: 100% May Exam
ACUL704 - Business Strategy and Management: 100% January Exam
ACUL705 - 20% March Mid-Term [Management Information] ~ 80% May Exam [Financial Management]

Business, Finance and Technology - CPL is awarded on the basis of passing the mid-term tests
Law - You'll have the opportunity to attend 3 days of classes, although it doesn't form part of the MSc, Liverpool will cover your materials and first exam sitting at a PearsonVue centre during the Easter period. If you have the CPL from your UG it's just better to claim it.

Corporate Reporting and SBM - Will be taught in Semester 2 and providing you pass the Semester 1 exams, you will be able to do the external exams during the July sitting.

2. You'll begin to put forward your Dissertation proposal during the 2nd week of June and have approximately 12 weeks to complete it. If you are in an unfortunate position where you have failed >30 credits in your taught modules, you will have the opportunity to extend your Dissertation till Mid December for a small fee without being penalised on the weighted mark. However, if you decline the extension and later you realise you need it, the penalty-free option will no longer be available (without valid extenuating circumstances).

3. All ICAEW papers are now computer-based with Case Study being the final paper going computer based in July 2019

4. Yes, Case Study used to form part of the MSc, however, the workload was far too much. ICAEW also changed the rules back in 2016 that you are no longer allowed to sit Case Study until the final year of your training contract (and you must have attempted all 14 other papers first). The rationale for this was to allow students to gain commercial exposure to successfully pass the paper. Although Liverpool do have a special concession still for students to sit it, I don't think the Programme Director intends to bring Case back to the programme any time soon

5. Scholarships are allocated on a rolling basis. They are assessed on both your academic and extra-curricular activities. Normally if you have a 2:1 or a First Class degree you are given a discount of tuition fee. I believe normally by May you will be notified if you have been awarded the Full/partial scholarships

6. Yes, by the time graduation comes all your CPLs will be applied to your account.
- Semester 1 is normally put on your training file by Mid-June
- Semester 2 is normally put on your training file by Mid-August
- August resits will be put on your training file by Mid-October

It is worth noting that ICAEW's "golden 4 papers" (Audit and Assurance, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Tax Compliance and Business Planning: Taxation) will be recorded as a mark rather than an exemption on your ICAEW training file. It is vital if you're asked during the Graduate recruitment process mainly for the Big 4 'If you have attempted any ICAEW papers' that you select Yes. As during the vetting process, you could risk having your offer rescinded, particularly if you're in a position where you have failed a "Golden paper"
Last edited by mark.s__; 1 year ago
Nandhini S
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congratulations on your offer.

1. That is correct:
ACUL 700 - 20% October Mid-Term [Principles of Taxation] ~ 80% January Exam [Tax Compliance]
ACUL 701 - 20% October Mid-Term [Accounting] ~ 80% January Exam [Financial Accounting and Reporting]
ACUL 702 - 20% October Mid-Term [Assurance] ~ 80% January Exam [Audit and Assurance]
ACUL703 - Business Planning Taxation: 100% May Exam
ACUL704 - Business Strategy and Management: 100% January Exam
ACUL705 - 20% March Mid-Term [Management Information] ~ 80% May Exam [Financial Management]

Business, Finance and Technology - CPL is awarded on the basis of passing the mid-term tests
Law - You'll have the opportunity to attend 3 days of classes at Liverpool, although it doesn't form part of the MSc, they will cover your materials and first exam sitting at a PearsonVue centre during the Easter period. If you have the CPL from your UG it's just better to claim it.

Corporate Reporting and SBM - Will be taught in Semester 2 and providing you pass the Semester 1 exams, you will be able to do the external exams during the July sitting.

2. You'll begin to put forward your Dissertation proposal during the 2nd week of June and have approximately 12 weeks to complete it. If you are in an unfortunate position where you have failed >30 credits in your taught modules, you will have the opportunity to extend your Dissertation till the end of December for a small fee without being penalised on the weighted mark. However, if you decline the extension and later you realise you need it, the penalty-free option will no longer be available (without valid extenuating circumstances).

3. All ICAEW papers are now computer-based with Case Study being the final paper going computer based in July 2019

4. Yes, Case Study used to form part of the MSc, however, the workload was far too much. ICAEW also changed the rules back in 2016 that you are no longer allowed to sit Case Study until the final year of your training contract (and you must have attempted all 14 other papers first). The rationale for this was to allow students to gain commercial exposure to successfully pass the paper. Although Liverpool do have a special concession still for students to sit it, I don't think the Programme Director intends to bring Case back to the programme any time soon

5. Scholarships are allocated on a rolling basis. They are assessed on both your academic and extra-curricular activities. Normally if you have a 2:1 or a First Class degree you are given a discount of tuition fee. I believe normally by May you will be notified if you have been awarded the Full/partial scholarships

6. Yes, by the time graduation comes all your CPLs will be applied to your account.
- Semester 1 is normally put on your training file by Mid-June
- Semester 2 is normally put on your training file by Mid-August
- August resits will be put on your training file by Mid-October

It is worth noting that ICAEW's "golden 4 papers" (Audit and Assurance, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Tax Compliance and Business Planning: Taxation) will be recorded as a mark rather than an exemption on your ICAEW training file. It is vital if you're asked during the Graduate recruitment process mainly for the Big 4 'If you have attempted any ICAEW papers' that you select Yes. As during the vetting process, you could risk having your offer rescinded, particularly if you're in a position where you have failed a "Golden paper"
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Based on your answers, the course runs for 12 months including the dissertation and our presence is required in London even during the dissertation period. Is that correct?

Also, regarding the CPL applied to our training file, the university does not require us to pay for the CPL application fee for each paper. Is that correct?

Once again, Thank you.
You have been of great help!!
mark.s__
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Based on your answers, the course runs for 12 months including the dissertation and our presence is required in London even during the dissertation period. Is that correct?

Also, regarding the CPL applied to our training file, the university does not require us to pay for the CPL application fee for each paper. Is that correct?

Once again, Thank you.
You have been of great help!!
No problem

Whilst it is ideal to be in London during the dissertation period as you can easily meet face to face with your supervisor it isn't mandatory. Many of my classmates who were from China decided to opt-out of doing the July external exams and use the opportunity to travel around Europe, which they said was extremely difficult to discipline themselves. However, if you plan to do the Advanced papers you have mandatory revision classes at the end of June for each paper.

Roughly speaking, you'll have a Dissertation set-up meeting in Mid-June. You'll have 7-10 days to write up your Research proposal and the following week meet with your supervisor to discuss/approve the topic. You then have 4 weeks to submit a draft Literature Review for them to see how you are getting on, and by the end of August you'll have the opportunity to submit a draft version of your dissertation, giving you about 10 days to make final amendments ---> Hence doing the Advanced papers may sometimes might not be for everyone.

As for the CPL, that is correct the university pays for them, with the exception of Law (if you are claiming the CPL from your undergraduate). If you plan to sit it in the Easter period the university will cover your exam entry.

Hope this helps
Nandhini S
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No problem

Whilst it is ideal to be in London during the dissertation period as you can easily meet face to face with your supervisor it isn't mandatory. Many of my classmates who were from China decided to opt-out of doing the July external exams and use the opportunity to travel around Europe, which they said was extremely difficult to discipline themselves. However, if you plan to do the Advanced papers you have mandatory revision classes at the end of June for each paper.

Roughly speaking, you'll have a Dissertation set-up meeting in Mid-June. You'll have 7-10 days to write up your Research proposal and the following week meet with your supervisor to discuss/approve the topic. You then have 4 weeks to submit a draft Literature Review for them to see how you are getting on, and by the end of August you'll have the opportunity to submit a draft version of your dissertation, giving you about 10 days to make final amendments ---> Hence doing the Advanced papers may sometimes might not be for everyone.

As for the CPL, that is correct the university pays for them, with the exception of Law (if you are claiming the CPL from your undergraduate). If you plan to sit it in the Easter period the university will cover your exam entry.

Hope this helps
Thanks a lot for the clarifications.

I truly appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (67)
15.4%
Uncertainty around my education (76)
17.47%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
9.2%
Isolating with family (26)
5.98%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (18)
4.14%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (36)
8.28%
Loneliness (42)
9.66%
Financial worries (15)
3.45%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (43)
9.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.9%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (42)
9.66%

Watched Threads