AelinAshryver
Badges: 9
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I did IGCSEs and Higher GCSEs and I got 5 A's, A* and 2 B's. Is this ok to apply for Oxford for Classics or no? I just need a couple of opinions if any of you don't mind - thanks!
CJ84
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think so hun. I went and had 9A* 1A and 1B. I know IGCSEs are harder but you will be a long way down the ladder with those results. Plus Classics is very hard to get into. Try somewhere else like Bristol.
Nahaha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They seem to be paying less attention to GCSE results as the years go by, maybe you should ask an advisor at school.
CJ84
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Of course GCSEs wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things. However, also speaking as a teacher too they are indicative of your A Level performance too. In order to be successful at getting into Oxbridge you need to perform well at interview and show them that you can think for yourself but are also open to learning and guidance by your tutors. Of course the biggest hurdle is getting to interview. Only you know if you worked your backside off to get those grades. If you did, well done. However, don't be surprised if your grades go down at A level. If you didn't work as hard as you could you've got scope to work and get 3A*. Don't forget, if you study four A levels your offer will be 4A*, if you study 5 it will be 5A* and so on. Sorry to be bleak but just telling you like it Is, which no careers advisor or teacher in your school will. Mull over this and decide yourself.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Classics isn't that competitive (comparatively). Recommend Cambridge because they're a bit less fussy over your GCSEs. But honestly, choose the university/course you prefer.

I'm surprised at what's being said in the comment above. Oxford interviewed 96% of applicants on average over the past 3 years for Classics (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...sting/classics). Around half of classics applicants to Cambridge actually get offers. Sometimes it's the majority (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....ply/statistics). Oxford's minimum offer is AAA and Cambridge's typical offer is A*AA.
username3866754
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m applying this year for music, and ended up with 2 A* 7 A and 2 Bs at GCSE, think my course might have fewer applicants tho
ResponsibleSmoke
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AelinAshryver)
Hi, I did IGCSEs and Higher GCSEs and I got 5 A's, A* and 2 B's. Is this ok to apply for Oxford for Classics or no? I just need a couple of opinions if any of you don't mind - thanks!
Unless this result is good in the context of your school, you will probably struggle depending on how strong the rest of your application is. You might want to look at Cambridge as the general wisdom is that they care less about GCSE results.
CJ84
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I only gave my opinion as an alumni and teacher......
username4212292
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it is relatively less competitive in term of stats compared to other courses, Cambridge 'care' less but you have 5 choices, if you really have it in your heart, i say go for it
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hanselandpetal)
I’m applying this year for music, and ended up with 2 A* 7 A and 2 Bs at GCSE, think my course might have fewer applicants tho
Hey, is there anything specific you want to know about applying for music? I'm a current Oxford music student.
AelinAshryver
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Classics isn't that competitive (comparatively). Recommend Cambridge because they're a bit less fussy over your GCSEs. But honestly, choose the university/course you prefer.

I'm surprised at what's being said in the comment above. Oxford interviewed 96% of applicants on average over the past 3 years for Classics (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...sting/classics). Around half of classics applicants to Cambridge actually get offers. Sometimes it's the majority (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....ply/statistics). Oxford's minimum offer is AAA and Cambridge's typical offer is A*AA.
I like both Oxford and Cambridge Classics but although I would rather go to Oxford for location reasons, there's apparently A LOT of focus on an applicants GCSE grades - how true is this?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CJ84)
I only gave my opinion as an alumni and teacher......
Okay, well, it's probably pretty different nowadays, more people taking STEM subjects, fewer going for classics, Oxbridge no longer requiring classics to be studied at school for admission.

I like both Oxford and Cambridge Classics but although I would rather go to Oxford for location reasons, there's apparently A
LOT of focus on an applicants GCSE grades - how true is this?
GCSE grades are usually used as a performance indicator, because predicted A-level grades aren't enough - so many applicants have such good predicted grades that it's not enough to differentiate them on those alone. But they also have interviews and admissions assessments, so grades aren't the be-all and end-all.
I have heard that Oxford does indeed look at GCSE grades more so than Cambridge, but personally I think this isn't something to be too concerned about. You'll be interviewed, take the Classics Admissions Test (CAT) and be submitting written work. I think these are going to be more important than your GCSE results when it comes to applying because they're a more recent indication of how teachable and able you are.

At the end of the day, it's just one of your 5, so if you're a realistic candidate, give it a go.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If we read your post right, you are saying that for iGCSE your results were 1 A* (or equivalent), AAAAABB. Is that correct?

Last year, 18 applicants were interviewed with a single A* or 8/9 at GGCE and of these 6 received offers. Most applicants were in fact interviewed and of those who were not interviewed, the GCSE A*(or equivalent) ranged from 2 to 9. We think this is almost certainly down to a low admissions test score or withdrawals.

As we have posted many times on TSR, over-estimation of GCSE requirement is one of the chief reasons why prospective students don't apply. While a strong GCSE profile can only count for an applicant for many courses a particular profile is not an impediment to applying. It is always worth asking the question!
AelinAshryver
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
If we read your post right, you are saying that for iGCSE your results were 1 A* (or equivalent), AAAAABB. Is that correct?

Last year, 18 applicants were interviewed with a single A* or 8/9 at GGCE and of these 6 received offers. Most applicants were in fact interviewed and of those who were not interviewed, the GCSE A*(or equivalent) ranged from 2 to 9. We think this is almost certainly down to a low admissions test score or withdrawals.

As we have posted many times on TSR, over-estimation of GCSE requirement is one of the chief reasons why prospective students don't apply. While a strong GCSE profile can only count for an applicant for many courses a particular profile is not an impediment to applying. It is always worth asking the question!
My IGCSE results were for science (B) and Maths (A). The rest were normal GCSEs, I think only French was higher- sorry for the error! My other B was for English Language. Thank You for the info, it's much appreciated!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.82%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.16%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (38)
7.57%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.12%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.96%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.38%

Watched Threads