bambinorose12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'm going into Year 13 this September and I was wondering the best way I could achieve my goals, I am aiming for an A*-B. I am studying AQA Tudors and for my private investigation I am studying the Tsarist Regime and whether that is the main cause of their downfall. Was wondering if anyone could give me some reading materials that will help, youtube videos/channels or any of their own opinions. Any help is appreciated, thank you !!
lauraleech
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hiya
I did tudors and nazi germany for aqa. I did better in germany so may not be of much help though I got an A overall and was a mark off an A*. Our teacher told us to do 'helicopter' thinking as the tudors is the breadth topic (for us it was!), so we had to look at monarchs over time and compare them to one another, hence 'helicopter', as we had to go from one monarch to the other and the breadth topic is all about change and continuity- what changed and what continued from each monarch. i tried to uploadsome rlly useful revision materials but didn't work >
what is the second (depth) topic that you are doing? if germany, perhaps i could be more helpful there
Essay plans are crucial- in our textbooks there are lots of practice questions and i recommend using them as essay plans- very often do you get similar questions asked in the real exam so even better if you've planned it before hand!!
The sections in tudors are in areas such as government, (big topic) society, economy, foreign policy (big topic) , religion (big topic). I would recommend making tables with all monarchs and comparing the difference and similarities between each- was there a change or continuity in, say, how government or parliament was managed?

not much help for materials and youtube videos as a lot on tudors i found weren't very helpful xxx (Except the ones i tried to upload- most of them were found on getrevising)
best wishes and good luck xxxxxxx
bambinorose12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by lauraleech)
Hiya
I did tudors and nazi germany for aqa. I did better in germany so may not be of much help though I got an A overall and was a mark off an A*. Our teacher told us to do 'helicopter' thinking as the tudors is the breadth topic (for us it was!), so we had to look at monarchs over time and compare them to one another, hence 'helicopter', as we had to go from one monarch to the other and the breadth topic is all about change and continuity- what changed and what continued from each monarch. i tried to uploadsome rlly useful revision materials but didn't work >
what is the second (depth) topic that you are doing? if germany, perhaps i could be more helpful there
Essay plans are crucial- in our textbooks there are lots of practice questions and i recommend using them as essay plans- very often do you get similar questions asked in the real exam so even better if you've planned it before hand!!
The sections in tudors are in areas such as government, (big topic) society, economy, foreign policy (big topic) , religion (big topic). I would recommend making tables with all monarchs and comparing the difference and similarities between each- was there a change or continuity in, say, how government or parliament was managed?

not much help for materials and youtube videos as a lot on tudors i found weren't very helpful xxx (Except the ones i tried to upload- most of them were found on getrevising)
Thank you so much, well done on getting an A that's so good! My depth topic is the Cold War but luckily I understand that a lot more than the Tudor even though I enjoy it less. Thanks for the tips that you gave me I'll definitely give them a try xxxx
elisevanderwiel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I got an A* in AQA history this year. I did do completely different topics though so content wise I can't be much of help. I agree with the thing said above about the 'helicopter' approach. For breadth you need to be able to show change and continuity. For your depth study, even though it is probably easier than your breadth study as it is more recent you need to remeber that detail is key to achieve the higher grades. In my year the downfall of many was that they under estimated how much they had to know for depth and they took a similar revision approach to both depth and breadth whereas you do need a different revision approach along side your essay planning (which is absolutely vital). I'd recommend mindmaps and timelines for your breadth study as well as the comparison tables mentioned above. For depth and I know this will be a tedious job, make flashcards with every single detail on there (either handwritten or on quizlet). For depth you will need to do wider reading as well- I have done independent research on the Cold War and I'd recommend Odd Arne Westad's the Global Cold War and the Cold War as well as John Lewis Gaddis. Hopefully this was helpful for your exams. For my coursework I got an A* as well and I'd strongly recommend doing the reading during the first term and perhaps even a first draft and to stay organised. Goodluck with year 13 history! Kind regards, Elise
Simran Hussain
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lauraleech)
Hiya

Hey, im currently doing the same and i’m really struggling. I’m currently in year13 and have 3months left till my exams. How did you answer the source questions for both?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (595)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (729)
41.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (349)
19.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.51%

Watched Threads