Libbysmith31
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey! I have managed to get into my dream sixth form and couldn't be happier. However, due to option blocks I was unable to do English Lit, History and Media as history and media overlapped. I chose to do media as it is directly involved in my dream career in advertising. I have also chosen to do sociology in place of history and an EPQ in a historical event that I am interested in. Though I am now happy with this arrangement, I am desperate to do history also as I am extremely passionate about it and received a 9 in my GCSE's. I recently discovered the idea of self-studying a subject and would like to do it in history instead of doing sociology and an EPQ. I am aware of how hard it will be and I'm not sure how to go about beginning this. I do not know how to organise a tutor or do I ask a school teacher to help me? What forms will I have to fill out to take the exams and who do I need to inform of my decision? I also don't know if my sixth form will allow me to do this but they cannot be contacted during the holidays. I really don't want to hassle them on the first day about changing my decision and I am really stuck. The good news is that I get to do history either way. Any answers to these questions would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to talk you your 6th form asap.
They may not let you enrol with only 2 taught A levels.
If you want to take A level History then you will need to complete NEA ('coursework') which would require you to have someone supervising, authenticating and marking your work - for this you would need to enrol on a distance learning course or persuade your school to do this.
You need to pay for the exams by February of the year when you are taking them - sort the rest out before worrying about this.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
History is the kind of subject where textbooks aren’t enough.

Take it from someone who mostly self studies due to illness - It’s not impossible, but it’s tricky, and an unnecessary strain on yourself if you could go into lessons.

My advice would be either to self study Media, and enroll in history classes - Or chose between the two. Media A-Level, as far as I’m aware, isn’t a requirement for any university course, so it won’t hinder your future career having not taken it for A-Level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (156)
60.7%
I don't have everything I need (101)
39.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed