Age gap in relationships Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m interested in people’s thoughts on age gaps in relationships. How big do you think the age gap should be until it’s considered “weird”? Do you prefer your partner to be older or younger? Just general thoughts really.

I’ve recently started seeing someone older than me. I’m 21, he’s 30 but he’s a young 30.

Some people have been supportive and think it’s fine whereas others have been a bit freaked out by the idea (even me at first as I’d only ever dated people the same age). However after getting to know him I’ve realised he’s actually a really genuine person and we do just want the best for each other so I don’t see it as a problem anymore.

Do you think we write people off too early based on age?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m interested in people’s thoughts on age gaps in relationships. How big do you think the age gap should be until it’s considered “weird”? Do you prefer your partner to be older or younger? Just general thoughts really.

I’ve recently started seeing someone older than me. I’m 21, he’s 30 but he’s a young 30.

Some people have been supportive and think it’s fine whereas others have been a bit freaked out by the idea (even me at first as I’d only ever dated people the same age). However after getting to know him I’ve realised he’s actually a really genuine person and we do just want the best for each other so I don’t see it as a problem anymore.

As long as you're 2 consenting adults who are in a happy relationship it is fine.

My boyfriend is 7 years older and we are incredibly happy. He sometimes acts like a child (he is basically a big kid) so more often than not it feels like I'm older than him! Age is just a number when it comes to happily ever after.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

It's not just the gap, the age of the two people is also important. Your nine-year gap is fine, but would be highly dubious at 13 and 22, for example.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
As long as you're 2 consenting adults who are in a happy relationship it is fine.

My boyfriend is 7 years older and we are incredibly happy. He sometimes acts like a child (he is basically a big kid) so more often than not it feels like I'm older than him! Age is just a number when it comes to happily ever after.
I agree 😄

I’ve never been happier with anyone, we were really good friends for 2 years and now we’re giving things a go together, we just work and it’s so refreshing.

I just think people put too much emphasis on age gaps.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ageshallnot)
It's not just the gap, the age of the two people is also important. Your nine-year gap is fine, but would be highly dubious at 13 and 22, for example.
Well yes of course, that’s definitely not right but I mean when you’re both “of age”.
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Youngest I've dated was 4.5 years younger. Eldest was 20 years my senior. I felt the age difference more in the former than the latter weirdly enough. :dontknow:

Seems like you've put some thought into it instead of just rushing straight into things so that's a good sign. Good luck to you both.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
age gap is more important when you're younger because people are still growing/maturing. there's a big difference in maturity between a 13 year old and an 18 year old. but a 25 year old and a 30 year old might be more or less the same and it matters less the older you get.

basically imho age doesn't matter so long as you're in the same stage of life. mind you not ever relationship needs to be for forever; some are just temporary for a bit of fun.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
There's 12 years between my and my fella (25 and 37) and he has 2 kids from his previous marriage, but it's honestly the happiest relationship I've ever been in Glad to hear youre happy!!
Bulletzone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let x = Age in years.
Let y = Age in years which you can date.

(x / 2) + 7 = y
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My own age gap is 5 years. And I prefer a younger partner, as an older one makes me so nervous and insecure.

I personally see 10 years as age gap as normal in another relationship by now. A bigger one is weird and I can't imagine that relationship may work in the long run, despite the fact they are both adults. Greater age gap also means a greater gap of life experience as a rule.
Zamestaneh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So long as someone has the faculties/maturity to consent to the relationship, it doesn't matter what the age gap is; may raise a few eyebrows but who cares - unless one is religious, they have no basis for absolute or objective moral values, so their outrage is merely an expression of their subjective understanding of the world, which can be ignored on the most part (unless there are legal repercussions).
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bulletzone)
Let x = Age in years.
Let y = Age in years which you can date.

(x / 2) + 7 = y
Trying to reduce human relationships to a simplistic mathematical formula is infantile and shallow.
Daniel.caf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

it's fine in my eyes! You are both adults where as if it was a 13 year old dating someone who's 22 it may raise questions
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
As long as both are of legal age and make each other happy then it's no one else's business but theres.
Anyone considering it have a look on YouTube at a couple from the USA called Joe and Angela from the MayDecemberSociety
lewis6969
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
personally, as a 20yr old, the lowest i'd go is 17 and the oldest i'd go is 24-25. once had a crush on a french girl who thought a 2 year age gap was too big for a relationship between us. She was 19 and i was 17 at the time which says a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.29%
Spring (36)
18.75%
Autumn/Fall (48)
25%
Winter (36)
18.75%
I love them all equally (10)
5.21%