Turn on thread page Beta

Lecturer / Teacher training at Further education Colleges (UK only) watch

Hi,

I'm being advised by my line manager to study for the Cert. Ed. (I have an honours degree - in a
    science, a Further Education Teaching Certificate, and a Certificate for Teaching English As A
    Foreign Language).

I'm teaching a variety of subjects including Health & Social Care, Critical Thinking,
    Biology, Maths.

What use would the Cert. Ed. be - could I convert to teaching supply in schools?

Any advice / previous experience would help.

Thanks in advance,

Michabo

In article <[email protected] .news.easynet.net>, michabo <michab
    [email protected]> writes
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>What use would the Cert. Ed. be - could I convert to teaching supply in schools?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

One of my colleagues was advised to study for PGCE because we are going to have fourteen and fifteen
    year olds to deal with in FE in future (vocational education). Not a happy thought for those of us
    battling with immature sixteens. Decide for yourself whether this is a reason for or against!
    --
    Liz Hanson

In article <[email protected] .news.easynet.net>, michabo
    <[email protected]> writes
    [q1]>Hi,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I'm being advised by my line manager to study for the Cert. Ed. (I have an honours degree - in a[/q1]
    [q1]>science, a Further Education Teaching Certificate, and a Certificate for Teaching English As A[/q1]
    [q1]>Foreign Language).[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I'm teaching a variety of subjects including Health & Social Care, Critical Thinking,[/q1]
    [q1]>Biology, Maths.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>What use would the Cert. Ed. be - could I convert to teaching supply in schools?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Any advice / previous experience would help.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Thanks in advance,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Michabo[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    The vast majority of staff teaching in schools have what is called "qualified teacher status".

As a graduate and experienced teacher you could get QTS in as little as a term on the Graduate
    Training Programme. I went down that route in nine teaching weeks only last term.

Martin Nicholson, Daventry, UK

International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Centre - Observatory Code 456
    http://www.gcse-ict.info/astronomy/front.htm

"michabo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Hi,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I'm being advised by my line manager to study for the Cert. Ed. (I have an honours degree - in a[/q1]
    [q1]> science, a Further Education Teaching Certificate,[/q1]
    and
    [q1]> a Certificate for Teaching English As A Foreign Language).[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I'm teaching a variety of subjects including Health & Social Care,[/q1]
    Critical
    [q1]> Thinking, Biology, Maths.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> What use would the Cert. Ed. be - could I convert to teaching supply in schools?[/q1]

There are several points here.

Firstly if you are working full time in FE, or if you plan to do so in the future, you need a Cert
    Ed or a PGCE (Fe/HE/ PC) before 2003. This is because all FE teachers need to qualify for QTFE and
    that means a Cert Ed or a PGCE (FE/HE PC) or school teachers certificate ( PGCE/ QTS).

Additionally the governement seem to have it in mind that FE teachers with QTFE will be recognised
    for QTS by the year 2005 because of the requirement for FE teachers to teach 14+ under the new
    "achieveing success" green paper. There is currently an ad hoc procedure in operation.

So, you should get a Cert Ed at least! Dont delay.

Now for school teaching. There are two possibilities here.

If you have a Cert Ed (FE) and your degree ( which you say is in science but dont specify which
    science) you may not have to do anything other than get a Cert Ed to get QTS!

Under the statutory instrument of 2001 if you have a degree before 1974 any subject) or a science or
    maths degree ( most subjects) before 1989 and you have a cert ed and you have been teaching in FE
    before 1989 and you are there now you can apply for QTS simply by getting your principal to
    recommend you.

Problem here is that many FE Principals wont recommend because they know once you have QTS you might
    clear off to school for higher pay! <g>

Alternatively, if you dont qualify under the statutory instrument, then you could apply for a school
    job and take the GTTP which should get you QTS in about 12 weeks max providing you have experience.
    Again an FE cert ed is very useful for that route too.

Alternatively, you can leave your job and train as a school teacher and that will take one academic
    year to get QTS. QTS is recognised for QTFE by FE Colleges.

[q1]> "michabo" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Hi,[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > I'm being advised by my line manager to study for the Cert. Ed. (I have[/q2]
    an
    [q2]> > honours degree - in a science, a Further Education Teaching Certificate,[/q2]
    [q1]> and[/q1]
    [q2]> > a Certificate for Teaching English As A Foreign Language).[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > I'm teaching a variety of subjects including Health & Social Care,[/q2]
    [q1]> Critical[/q1]
    [q2]> > Thinking, Biology, Maths.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > What use would the Cert. Ed. be - could I convert to teaching supply in schools?[/q2]

If you just want to be a supply teacher in schools a Cert Ed FE should be enough. Lots of people are
    doing supply that way. Just go to the supply agencies and register.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Michabo

ps my degree was BSc (hons) Environmental Biology

"michabo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Hi,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I'm being advised by my line manager to study for the Cert. Ed. (I have an honours degree - in a[/q1]
    [q1]> science, a Further Education Teaching Certificate,[/q1]
    and
    [q1]> a Certificate for Teaching English As A Foreign Language).[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I'm teaching a variety of subjects including Health & Social Care,[/q1]
    Critical
    [q1]> Thinking, Biology, Maths.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> What use would the Cert. Ed. be - could I convert to teaching supply in schools?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Any advice / previous experience would help.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Thanks in advance,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Michabo[/q1]

yeah

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.