clarevictoriaa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Name:  wp2697672.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  184.4 KB

Hiya, My name is Clare, I'm 15 and I'm about to enter year 11. Welcome to my GYG 2018/19.

I'm so annoyed because I just spent the past 20 minutes writing out a post for my GYG and it all deleted!!

I'm aiming for all 7's, 8's and 9's in my GCSE's and I'd do a separate post about my grades and stuff.

In my GYG I will do weekly updates on a Sunday, during the week I will update whenever possible and at the end of every term I will do updates on how I'm finding year 11 so far. I will also post a lot about how I'm balancing my extra curricular stuff with school, what I do to revise and whether I'm seeing an improvement with my grades or not.

Hopefully you will stick around to see my GYG journey!

About Me:
Spoiler:
Show

Name: Clare
Dream Job: Paramedic
Job aspirations: As well as being a Paramedic, at some stage in my life I hope to do something in the makeup industry as either a makeup artist or owning my own cosmetics business.
Subjects and Exam Board: Combined Science Higher (Edexcel), English Lit+Lang (AQA), Maths (Edexcel), Citizenship (AQA), History (AQA), Food Preparation & Nutrition (WJEC Eduqas), Music (AQA), Art (AQA)

clarevictoriaa
Rep:
?
Year 10 Overview:
I started year 10 feeling really motivated to do well, previously in year 9 I had been kinda just messing about and using it as a time to be social and really enjoy my time at school with my friends. I never got into trouble or anything but I definitely came out of my shell and started to gain confidence and be more social. However, year 9 was the first year of my GCSEs and by the end of year 9 I had fallen behind massively in Science. therefore in the summer before year 10 started, I began writing up notes for science and going over some things I needed to know.

At the star of year 10 I came in being motivated and ready to learn but at the same time I was beginning to lose confidence and crawl back into my shell. I was also beginning to struggle with my mental health, all of which were distracting me from my education. I started joining some more clubs as I joined the schools eco club, I joined another band and throughout the year I was on and off playing sports and taking part in sports clubs at school. I also became a prefect and rejoined the Student librarian team.

However my first problem began when just after a couple of months of being in year 10, I was moved down to set 2 in science after being in set 1 for all of my time in high school. It was so upsetting to me as I had worked to hard to be there and it was also demotivating. For the rest of the year I set my heart on moving back up to set 1.

The rest of the year wasn't that interesting really, I just went through the motions of year 10 and took it day by day.

If I could do anything differently it would be that I wish I had started writing notes for all of my subjects and going over the stuff that we had learnt in lessons everyday when I got home from school. I didn't do that at all which means I've spent my summer holidays writing notes, making mindmaps and flashcards like a mad person just so I can have a little bit of a head start for year 11. In reality I'm stressed and God help me
chelseagirl2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'll be in Year 11 in a weeks time. Good luck to you and ur GCSEs.
username3095760
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hiiii!!! Going into year 11 too, excited to read your updates. Awh gurlll don't feel bad about moving down sets, honestly at the end of the day if you get that 7 ,8 or 9 in science then that's all that matters. The fact that you're already revising in the summer just proves to me that you'll have no problem in achieving in that (:
troubletracking
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the title had me dead lmao
good luck! you're doing so well already you can do this!!
Evil Homer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey welcome

Can't wait to see your journey this year!

Don't worry about moving down sets, you are clearly already working hard and motivated to succeed, I certainly don't think you have anything to be concerned about.
clarevictoriaa
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=troubletracking;79545268]the title had me dead lmao
good luck! you're doing so well already you can do this!![/QUOTE

Thanks! Lol I didn't know what to title this so I thought that the title I chose was quite accurate right now
clarevictoriaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Hey welcome

Can't wait to see your journey this year!

Don't worry about moving down sets, you are clearly already working hard and motivated to succeed, I certainly don't think you have anything to be concerned about.
Thanks, I'll feel better knowing I'm well prepared for whats to come and I'm pretty sure I managed to move back up to set 1 as I got a 6 in both of my science mocks and apparently that was enough to get back up so I'm praying that its true!
clarevictoriaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by bowl-of-rice)
hiiii!!! Going into year 11 too, excited to read your updates. Awh gurlll don't feel bad about moving down sets, honestly at the end of the day if you get that 7 ,8 or 9 in science then that's all that matters. The fact that you're already revising in the summer just proves to me that you'll have no problem in achieving in that (:
Hey! Good Luck for year 11
Thank you so much btw
clarevictoriaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by chelseagirl2002)
I'll be in Year 11 in a weeks time. Good luck to you and ur GCSEs.
Thanks, Good Luck to you too
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck! omg food and nutrition:gah: my friends did it and I got to taste test their food:yum: what’s your favourite thing to cook/bake?
clarevictoriaa
Rep:
?
How I'm preparing for year 11:

So as I'm going into year 11 soon and I didn't do any prep, revision or make any notes in year 10 or year 9 (I started my GCSE courses in year 9) So I decided I would make all my resources now and hopefully have them all done by Christmas time as my teachers have estimated tat we should be done with the courses for all our subjects by December.

At the start of the summer holidays I wanted to relax a bit but still be productive with my spare time so I started by doing online based things. I started organising the quizlets I already had into folders and then making some new quizlets, I also discovered some new websites such as Senaca learning and I also went onto YouTube and subscribed to some revision youtubers and youtube channels that would help me to revise. I then added some "Study With Me" videos to a youtube playlist because I find that they help to motivate me whenever I need to revise but can't find the motivation to do it. I also then just went on to Google classroom and docs and finished off some classwork and improved it ready to be marked when I go back in September.

Then I started tackling subjects, I first organised Science. I made A3 condensed mindmaps for each paper for science and started to catch up on some notes for each science topic. Then I organised all my science flashcards and all of my current science resources into one place so I knew where they all were.

Then I tackled Citizenship. With citizenship I am at an advantage as I have finished the entire course already and Ive been achieving really high grades, so all I needed to do was write out my notes in preparation for year 11 and just recap on some topics we had done a while ago. Moving on, I next went to History. I'm still trying to figure out how to revise history but for now I used a mix of websites and youtube videos to make a detailed set of notes on my first two subsections for history. I wrote notes for the first 2 topics which we did at the start of year 10 and throughout year 9 so I could be reminded of what the topic was about and refresh my memory on them.

For music I just made some flashcards and practised my instruments as I have a GCSE recording coming up when I go back and an audition too.

I then organised my English notes and resources and made some mind maps for the texts we are studying for English lit.
Then for Food tech I struggled as there aren't many resources for the exam board I'm on and I don;t yet have my revision guide so I ended up drawing a few important diagrams and writing some notes.

This holiday was mainly focused on admin and getting everything prepped for year 11 and although I didn't achieve as much as I had hoped for I still have time to do everything as I have allowed myself until December.
clarevictoriaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
Good luck! omg food and nutrition:gah: my friends did it and I got to taste test their food:yum: what’s your favourite thing to cook/bake?
Thanks! Honestly, I'm so bad at cooking I don't know why I'm doing this subject haha! I really like making bread as it's something I seem to do okay at and when I'm at home I enjoy making cakes and cookies.
We haven't really done much proper cooking at school as most of it has been bread, NEA food science investigations or theory work
peanutbutterjam
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck!!
clarevictoriaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by peanutbutterjam)
Good luck!!
Thank you
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Clare!

First of all, hit me up when you release that makeup line and please save me as a paramedic when I pass out because I’m too excited about the makeup 😂.

I’m going into Year 11. I understand the upset over the sets too, I’ve been through it. I haven’t moved back up yet, but I’m actually more content in Set 2 than Set 1 because the pace they go at makes it easier to understand, and we all end up doing the same GCSE anyway. I know people who have stayed in Set 2 their entire school lives and come out with better results than the Set 1s, so it’s not the end of the world ❤️. Keep your focus, study hard and you WILL succeed. By the looks of it, you have, well done! 👏🏽 More than I have anyway haha!

Please tag me, I’d love to know how you’re getting on. Hope Year 11 goes amazinggg! xx
clarevictoriaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Hi Clare!

First of all, hit me up when you release that makeup line and please save me as a paramedic when I pass out because I’m too excited about the makeup 😂.

I’m going into Year 11. I understand the upset over the sets too, I’ve been through it. I haven’t moved back up yet, but I’m actually more content in Set 2 than Set 1 because the pace they go at makes it easier to understand, and we all end up doing the same GCSE anyway. I know people who have stayed in Set 2 their entire school lives and come out with better results than the Set 1s, so it’s not the end of the world ❤️. Keep your focus, study hard and you WILL succeed. By the looks of it, you have, well done! 👏🏽 More than I have anyway haha!

Please tag me, I’d love to know how you’re getting on. Hope Year 11 goes amazinggg! xx

Thank you so much! Your comment made me laugh so much lol I'll defo be right there in the ambulance when the makeup line drops aha! If only
But thanks for the support. Can I ask, what year are you in?
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clarevictoriaa)
Thank you so much! Your comment made me laugh so much lol I'll defo be right there in the ambulance when the makeup line drops aha! If only
But thanks for the support. Can I ask, what year are you in?
Aww I’m glad 😂❤️ Same as you! I’m going into Year 11 as well. I made a GYG and now internally freaking out as I realise I’m old. Great >.<
clarevictoriaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Aww I’m glad 😂❤️ Same as you! I’m going into Year 11 as well. I made a GYG and now internally freaking out as I realise I’m old. Great >.<
Haha! I'll go check your GYG out
But Literally take me back to year 9 like that was the best year for me and it was the start of my gcse course and if I had done something in year 9 I could be more prepared now!
I really don't make life easy for myself
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clarevictoriaa)
Haha! I'll go check your GYG out
But Literally take me back to year 9 like that was the best year for me and it was the start of my gcse course and if I had done something in year 9 I could be more prepared now!
I really don't make life easy for myself
Haha thanks! Yeah I will literally telling my friend I wish we could go back to Primary School, when times were easier. But I guess we have to pull through. It will be alright in the end. x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads