The Student Room Group

Year 11: 8's and 9's? hun, We don't know her.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bowl-of-rice
We did ours last year, and honestly, it's not as bad as they make it out to be- it only has to be 3-5 minutes, which goes by really quick:yes:! Quite a few of my friends did it on mental health, and nobody was judgmental about it, I say you go for it! Good luck on it :h:

Thanks for the replies, I just don't know how to talk about mental health without making it obvious that I struggle with it because my teachers don't know about any of it and I don't want them to know but I feel like they will see right through me. I dunno :/
So today was decent. I did some maths that I didn't really understand but the lessons ended before I could get my head around it so I'm gonna do some work on it tonight to catch up.
I found out that my coursework deadline for music is around December time I'm pretty sure and it's stressing me out because I need to start my composition again because its like 30 seconds long and its really basic and wont even get me a 5 and I have ideas for a new composition I wanna make. so my plan is to stay in school one night until really late just to work on it and get as much done as possible however I can;t do that yet because school hasn't set up the new computers or installed garage band yet but as soon as they do I'm gonna ask if I can stay behind because I have all these ideas and so much motivation that I just need to get it done before its too late!

Tomorrow is a good day because I have two of my favourite lessons, then I have band after school and its my best friends birthday so generally its going to be a great day and I'm feeling positive about it.

Tags: @RazzzBerries @ab173 @Oseremen A. @SomMC1 @bowl-of-rice
Original post by clarevictoriaa
So today was decent. I did some maths that I didn't really understand but the lessons ended before I could get my head around it so I'm gonna do some work on it tonight to catch up.
I found out that my coursework deadline for music is around December time I'm pretty sure and it's stressing me out because I need to start my composition again because its like 30 seconds long and its really basic and wont even get me a 5 and I have ideas for a new composition I wanna make. so my plan is to stay in school one night until really late just to work on it and get as much done as possible however I can;t do that yet because school hasn't set up the new computers or installed garage band yet but as soon as they do I'm gonna ask if I can stay behind because I have all these ideas and so much motivation that I just need to get it done before its too late!

Tomorrow is a good day because I have two of my favourite lessons, then I have band after school and its my best friends birthday so generally its going to be a great day and I'm feeling positive about it.

Tags: @RazzzBerries @ab173 @Oseremen A. @SomMC1 @bowl-of-rice

YAY! Glad it went well. Omg yeah, I got my brief from OCR about our compositions :redface: . I'm a bit shook ngl.

Hope you have fun tomorrow! xx
Tag: @RazzzBerries @ab173 @Oseremen A. @bowl-of-rice @SomMC1

A lot of things have sort of come at once but then again I wasn't expecting any less of year 11 :smile:
So applications for senior prefects, deputy head prefects, head boy and head girl have opened and I'm thinking of applying for either senior prefect or deputy head prefect. There are two stages to applying, the first being to write a letter to our principle and the second being an interview with senior members of staff. I'm not looking forward to the interview however I really want this so I'm going to make sure I'm prepared and hope for the best lol!

I still have to prepare my english speech and I still don't know what I want to talk about to any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also need to choose a topic for my active citizenship in gcse citizenship (basically a campaign about something) and from that we get to create materials such as petitions, questionnaires and write to our local MP if we wish to. I was thinking about maybe linking English with citizenship and writing my speech based on what I choose for active citizenship to basically make my life a little bit easier.

All my bands have started up again and ive been doing then however my saxophone seems to be broken and I don't know whats wong with it so that's amazing. Also I need to find time to do my student librarian duty and then also starting next Wednesday I need to start going back to music to work on my composition and I need to find time to go back and complete artwork as my coursework deadline for art and music is December 17th.

Ive got some homework to do as well as revision that I need to get on with so I'm going to get up early to start doing that as well as doing it after school to. However ive lost valuable time in the last few days as my alarm on my phone isn't working and hasn't been going off. I think Ive managed to fix it but I guess we will see tomorrow morning
Tag: @RazzzBerries @ab173 @Oseremen A. @bowl-of-rice @SomMC1

A lot of things have sort of come at once but then again I wasn't expecting any less of year 11 :smile:
So applications for senior prefects, deputy head prefects, head boy and head girl have opened and I'm thinking of applying for either senior prefect or deputy head prefect. There are two stages to applying, the first being to write a letter to our principle and the second being an interview with senior members of staff. I'm not looking forward to the interview however I really want this so I'm going to make sure I'm prepared and hope for the best lol!

I still have to prepare my english speech and I still don't know what I want to talk about to any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also need to choose a topic for my active citizenship in gcse citizenship (basically a campaign about something) and from that we get to create materials such as petitions, questionnaires and write to our local MP if we wish to. I was thinking about maybe linking English with citizenship and writing my speech based on what I choose for active citizenship to basically make my life a little bit easier.

All my bands have started up again and ive been doing then however my saxophone seems to be broken and I don't know whats wong with it so that's amazing. Also I need to find time to do my student librarian duty and then also starting next Wednesday I need to start going back to music to work on my composition and I need to find time to go back and complete artwork as my coursework deadline for art and music is December 17th.

Ive got some homework to do as well as revision that I need to get on with so I'm going to get up early to start doing that as well as doing it after school to. However ive lost valuable time in the last few days as my alarm on my phone isn't working and hasn't been going off. I think Ive managed to fix it but I guess we will see tomorrow morning

:woo:

Why not go for Head Girl? I'm sure you'll be amazing!!
The interview will be fine as long as you're prepared and you're really passionate about getting the role. <3

Good luck for all your deadlines >.< Sounds difficult. Are you OCR Music? If you are, I might be able to help...

Hope your alarm works again. I had the same problem so I recently bought an actual digital alarm. Maybe that might be a possible solution? xx
Original post by RazzzBerries

Why not go for Head Girl? I'm sure you'll be amazing!!
The interview will be fine as long as you're prepared and you're really passionate about getting the role. <3

Good luck for all your deadlines >.< Sounds difficult. Are you OCR Music? If you are, I might be able to help...

Hope your alarm works again. I had the same problem so I recently bought an actual digital alarm. Maybe that might be a possible solution? xx

Haha head girl is a little too out there for me. Plus I wouldn't be able to cpete with this one girl because everyone loves her and id rather be a deputy head tbh because deputy head is standing in for head girl and boy if they can't be there to do speeches and presentations and deputy head have an important role anyway plus I wanna go outside my comfort zone so I think deputy head would be better then head girl.

As far as music goes I'm on AQA and also thankfully my alarm starting working again so we should be fine for now
Tags@ @RazzzBerries @ab173 @Oseremen A. @bowl-of-rice @SomMC1

Good news guys! Ive decided that for English I'm going to be doing my speech about University Tuition fees because for my active citizenship task in gcse citizenship I am choosing to campaign on tuition fees so I can link the two together.

Tomorrow Ive got band which I'm excited about because I'm gonna see some of my band friends that Ive not seen for at least 8 weeks now

I'm also gonna have a really productive day tomorrow as I have some notes to make, some history homework/exam prep and I need to develp my speech and work on my prefect application

I will admit I haven't been doing much revision at all and its so bad so I'm gonna make sure I do.

How are you all finding year 11 so far?
Tags@ @RazzzBerries @ab173 @Oseremen A. @bowl-of-rice @SomMC1

Good news guys! Ive decided that for English I'm going to be doing my speech about University Tuition fees because for my active citizenship task in gcse citizenship I am choosing to campaign on tuition fees so I can link the two together.

Tomorrow Ive got band which I'm excited about because I'm gonna see some of my band friends that Ive not seen for at least 8 weeks now

I'm also gonna have a really productive day tomorrow as I have some notes to make, some history homework/exam prep and I need to develp my speech and work on my prefect application

I will admit I haven't been doing much revision at all and its so bad so I'm gonna make sure I do.

How are you all finding year 11 so far?

Doing your speech on university tuition fees is a great idea:clap2:, not many people will think of that which will make your speech more unique! Whooo:woo:- definitely go for that deputy head girl position I'm sure you'll be absolutely fab at it:h:. Don't worry about not doing much revision, it's still only September- we've still got a good few months left:smile:. Year 11 has been stressful:frown:: teachers drilling into our minds that this is our most important year yet:yawn:, seeing all my friends already starting to make flashcard and stuff:afraid: (I’m so behind help), the huge increase in homework. Yeah not fun
Do what’s comfortable for you! And good luck for that speech xx
Updates:
Tags: @RazzzBerries @ab173 @SomMC1 @Oseremen A. @bowl-of-rice

Hiya, so lately I haven't really been updating or talking about anything to do with school work and revision. Ive just been really busy with prefect applications, looking into college options, booster sessions after school, general admin stuff and just getting back in the swing of things.
One thing I need to mention is that I haven't really been commenting on other peoples GYG and I'm sorry for that, Ive been so busy but thats no excuse and I am going to start responding, maybe not frequently but Ill try as much as possible.

I haven't really done any revision or made any resources this week which is so bad! All ive done this week is homework, english speech, prefect application and some active citizenship research so from Sunday onwards I'm getting back on track and making resources. Ive been struggling with music, maths and science a bit so I need to do a bit extra for them to make sure I dont fall behind. As far as other subjects go they've been totally fine and I feel fine with them.

So far, I'm finding year 11 so good! It's honestly my favourite year so far (I know its early days lol)

Things are already starting to get busy and I have had the dates confirmed for my next dance exam, and a few band concerts too. Plus I have college open days / evenings and if I get the deputy head prefect position then Ill be super busy with that. I'm up for the challenge though and I actually really enjoy being busy

Although I do mention it quite a fair bit, I am actually struggling with my mental health but it is something I intend to keep private so I wont go into details but I thought it was important to mention because I want my GYG to be about my whole experience this year, highs and lows. I know a lot of people will tell me not to focus on revising and making resources until my mental health is better but honestly I appreciate the distraction because work distracts me from everything that's messed up in my head lol.

Anyways I'm looking forward to this year. Call me weird but I actually look forward to going to school which is so weird and probably wont last lets be honest. Ive been so productive because Ive been getting up really early and going to bed early which means I have more hours in the day to get things done. In year 10 I would get up late and go to bed late which wasnt great and I felt exhausted and demotivated all the time but this year so far is the complete opposite.

I really like my year 11 form and my form teacher is so nice and helpful and although all my teachers are more strict I find it easier to communicate with them now because they treat us as their priority and I don't feel as awkward asking them for help or just generally speaking to them

Weekend To-Do list:

Spoiler

Don't worry about moving down a set - I was in lowest set math but because I worked hard I still achieved a 7 :smile:
Original post by NotYourCheese
Don't worry about moving down a set - I was in lowest set math but because I worked hard I still achieved a 7 :smile:

Thanks, since I posted that I managed to move up a set and I'm back in Set 1 now :smile:
Thanks, since I posted that I managed to move up a set and I'm back in Set 1 now :smile:

Updates:
Tags: @RazzzBerries @ab173 @SomMC1 @Oseremen A. @bowl-of-rice

Hiya, so lately I haven't really been updating or talking about anything to do with school work and revision. Ive just been really busy with prefect applications, looking into college options, booster sessions after school, general admin stuff and just getting back in the swing of things.
One thing I need to mention is that I haven't really been commenting on other peoples GYG and I'm sorry for that, Ive been so busy but thats no excuse and I am going to start responding, maybe not frequently but Ill try as much as possible.

I haven't really done any revision or made any resources this week which is so bad! All ive done this week is homework, english speech, prefect application and some active citizenship research so from Sunday onwards I'm getting back on track and making resources. Ive been struggling with music, maths and science a bit so I need to do a bit extra for them to make sure I dont fall behind. As far as other subjects go they've been totally fine and I feel fine with them.

So far, I'm finding year 11 so good! It's honestly my favourite year so far (I know its early days lol)

Things are already starting to get busy and I have had the dates confirmed for my next dance exam, and a few band concerts too. Plus I have college open days / evenings and if I get the deputy head prefect position then Ill be super busy with that. I'm up for the challenge though and I actually really enjoy being busy

Although I do mention it quite a fair bit, I am actually struggling with my mental health but it is something I intend to keep private so I wont go into details but I thought it was important to mention because I want my GYG to be about my whole experience this year, highs and lows. I know a lot of people will tell me not to focus on revising and making resources until my mental health is better but honestly I appreciate the distraction because work distracts me from everything that's messed up in my head lol.

Anyways I'm looking forward to this year. Call me weird but I actually look forward to going to school which is so weird and probably wont last lets be honest. Ive been so productive because Ive been getting up really early and going to bed early which means I have more hours in the day to get things done. In year 10 I would get up late and go to bed late which wasnt great and I felt exhausted and demotivated all the time but this year so far is the complete opposite.

I really like my year 11 form and my form teacher is so nice and helpful and although all my teachers are more strict I find it easier to communicate with them now because they treat us as their priority and I don't feel as awkward asking them for help or just generally speaking to them

Weekend To-Do list:

Spoiler

hey please tag me! :smile:
don’t you find that year 11 is a lot busier than year 10?! not just school work i mean, but lots of meetings and evenings and applications right? :gah:

have you seen my gyg? :giggle:

don’t worry about not doing as much work as you’d like. i think i’m in a similar position and for now i’m just trying to get all the homework done and then if i’ve got the time or motivation i’ll do revision :s-smilie:

i enjoy being really busy too!! maybe that’s my coping mechanism for my mental health issues :dontknow:
don’t try and keep it private. it’s something i definitely mentioned a lot on my gyg this year and last year because it’s so hard especially in year 11 to cope with everything. distractions are always good <3

what kind of music are you into??
Original post by clouddbubbles
hey please tag me! :smile:
don’t you find that year 11 is a lot busier than year 10?! not just school work i mean, but lots of meetings and evenings and applications right? :gah:

have you seen my gyg? :giggle:

don’t worry about not doing as much work as you’d like. i think i’m in a similar position and for now i’m just trying to get all the homework done and then if i’ve got the time or motivation i’ll do revision :s-smilie:

i enjoy being really busy too!! maybe that’s my coping mechanism for my mental health issues :dontknow:
don’t try and keep it private. it’s something i definitely mentioned a lot on my gyg this year and last year because it’s so hard especially in year 11 to cope with everything. distractions are always good <3

what kind of music are you into??

Hey, sure Ill tag in my next main post!

I agree like year 11 is so busy compared to year 10 but also for me year 10 was busy because I signed up to anything and everything. This year is the same but with extra things on top of that lol and I dont know how I find time for it all!

Yeh, maybe Ill mention it a bit but I don't really like talking about it because I hate getting attention and sympathy because I dunno its weird but it makes me feel worse because I just wanna be in the background I guess and I don't want people to think I'm weak or anything

I'm into Indie-rock music but I also like a bit of everything too. I guess its like the "hipster" kinda music taste
Hey, sure Ill tag in my next main post!

I agree like year 11 is so busy compared to year 10 but also for me year 10 was busy because I signed up to anything and everything. This year is the same but with extra things on top of that lol and I dont know how I find time for it all!

Yeh, maybe Ill mention it a bit but I don't really like talking about it because I hate getting attention and sympathy because I dunno its weird but it makes me feel worse because I just wanna be in the background I guess and I don't want people to think I'm weak or anything

I'm into Indie-rock music but I also like a bit of everything too. I guess its like the "hipster" kinda music taste

yeah i get what you mean!

and no please don’t feel that way. i can see where you’re coming from and perhaps it’s not great to massively focus on it, but where you can it might give a bit of context like ‘i kind of struggled this week because my anxiety was playing up’
especially for me - i feel like anxiety will be one of my barriers to doing well, and so it’s like, i’ve got to work on it so i can ‘grow my grades’. if your situation is similar then :dontknow:
and it’s definitely not something that makes you weak!! strong imo :yep:

ahh nice, i like some stuff from that genre :smile:
UPDATES:
So a lot has happened this week! Sorry for not being active I know I promised Id be active from now on but I swear I actually will this time!
So lets start from the beginning. My English speech. So, my speech was on abolishing University Tuition fees and I was originally supposed to do it on Monday but the teacher was choosing people to do it first so I didn't end up doing it then. On Tuesday the teacher was still picking people but you could volunteer to do it as well but I felt really nervous and just unsure so I decided to put it off even more (this was a mistake as it made my anxiety worse) On Wednesday my teacher sent me and a group of girls out with another teacher to do it in a separate classroom so I didn't have to do it in front of the class but the lesson ended by the time it was my turn. Thursday was finally my time to do my speech so I went out with another teacher and did it in a classroom and it went really well! I answered both questions and read out my speech with only a couple of mistakes. I'm hoping to achieve a distinction

Last Friday I submitted my application for Deputy Head Prefect. On Wednesday I had my interview with the Head teacher, head of year and head of student leadership/school librarian. Overall the interview went quite well, I stumbled a bit but I think it was okay. Excitingly, today all the applicants were called to the board room and they announced the positions everyone got and I successfully achieved deputy head prefect! AHHH I'm so happy :smile:

Schoolwork wise I'm doing quite well. I'm ahead on my Food tech coursework and I'm in a booster for my art coursework and soon Ill be doing some music too. As far as classwork goes I have been struggling a bit with maths and science but I'm starting to get my head around it and im in booster sessions for maths art and music to help catch up.

Next week I have a biology 1 paper so I need to revise for that and do well in it! Also I havent been doing any revision at all and its so bad but I am starting from now.

Ive set myself goals and I'm going to keep them:
1. Keep my duolingo German streak by revising german everyday
2. Do regular revision and make resources
3. Sort out my exercise and diet to get back on track with weight loss

Also I'm thinking of joining another band on a Monday night but I need to find out some more information.
Concert season has started for band. Soon I have open evening at school, Marsden Jazz festival, another concert that needs to be confirmed and my music centre concert all of which I need to play at and then as soon as they are all done I will have all the Christmas concerts to do such as Central Library, senior citizens christmas part, music centre christmas concert and probably many more.

I'll be doing some prefect duties as I begin my role as a deputy head prefect and then I'll have mocks and after school clubs and stuff. It's gonna be busy but I'm ready for it.

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
:woo: :hugs:

I'm so proud of you, congratulations on Deputy Head Prefect!

Well done on the speech, it must have been super difficult if they kept putting you off (my school does it too, it's a pain sometimes :biggrin:).

Good to hear you're doing your best to keep up with stuff, hope it works out (espesh your goals)

You sound like a busy businesswoman! Good luck! xx
well done for getting through that speech! i was super nervous when i actually went up and was shaking the whole time but everyone said it was amazing so :crossedf:

and hopefully yours has a similar fate!! i’m sure you’ll get a distinction :smile:
UPDATES:
So a lot has happened this week! Sorry for not being active I know I promised Id be active from now on but I swear I actually will this time!
So lets start from the beginning. My English speech. So, my speech was on abolishing University Tuition fees and I was originally supposed to do it on Monday but the teacher was choosing people to do it first so I didn't end up doing it then. On Tuesday the teacher was still picking people but you could volunteer to do it as well but I felt really nervous and just unsure so I decided to put it off even more (this was a mistake as it made my anxiety worse) On Wednesday my teacher sent me and a group of girls out with another teacher to do it in a separate classroom so I didn't have to do it in front of the class but the lesson ended by the time it was my turn. Thursday was finally my time to do my speech so I went out with another teacher and did it in a classroom and it went really well! I answered both questions and read out my speech with only a couple of mistakes. I'm hoping to achieve a distinction

Last Friday I submitted my application for Deputy Head Prefect. On Wednesday I had my interview with the Head teacher, head of year and head of student leadership/school librarian. Overall the interview went quite well, I stumbled a bit but I think it was okay. Excitingly, today all the applicants were called to the board room and they announced the positions everyone got and I successfully achieved deputy head prefect! AHHH I'm so happy :smile:

Schoolwork wise I'm doing quite well. I'm ahead on my Food tech coursework and I'm in a booster for my art coursework and soon Ill be doing some music too. As far as classwork goes I have been struggling a bit with maths and science but I'm starting to get my head around it and im in booster sessions for maths art and music to help catch up.

Next week I have a biology 1 paper so I need to revise for that and do well in it! Also I havent been doing any revision at all and its so bad but I am starting from now.

Ive set myself goals and I'm going to keep them:
1. Keep my duolingo German streak by revising german everyday
2. Do regular revision and make resources
3. Sort out my exercise and diet to get back on track with weight loss

Also I'm thinking of joining another band on a Monday night but I need to find out some more information.
Concert season has started for band. Soon I have open evening at school, Marsden Jazz festival, another concert that needs to be confirmed and my music centre concert all of which I need to play at and then as soon as they are all done I will have all the Christmas concerts to do such as Central Library, senior citizens christmas part, music centre christmas concert and probably many more.

I'll be doing some prefect duties as I begin my role as a deputy head prefect and then I'll have mocks and after school clubs and stuff. It's gonna be busy but I'm ready for it.

Spoiler

Congrats on getting deputy head:yeah::woo:!! Oooh those goals look really good- mind if i steal them aha:h:?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending