The Student Room Group

Taking a bike to University

Is it worth taking a bike to university? I've heard that bikes get stolen easily. Also, any advice on what to do, and any experiences with using bikes at uni.

Scroll to see replies

If there's a designated bike shelter and you have a decent lock, I think you'll be fine from theft. Just remember to lock the bike to the shelter by the frame, rather than the wheel... Otherwise thieves will just take off the wheel and take the rest :P

I'm planning to bike to Uni next summer :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Student1191
If there’s lots of blacks then no

no what, sorry?
Reply 3
Original post by MKaur18
Is it worth taking a bike to university? I've heard that bikes get stolen easily. Also, any advice on what to do, and any experiences with using bikes at uni.

check if ur uni has a bike parking space. it's great when it's not raining, just lock the frame when u get there.
I bought my bike once I got to university! It hasn't been stolen.... (I have left it at university so fingers crossed that that's still true). If you do bring one, definitely make sure you have a good lock like a D lock!
Original post by MKaur18
no what, sorry?

Then don’t take
Original post by MKaur18

It depends on which university you're going to but a lot will be cycle-friendly. I go to York and I'd say that about 30% of the students here cycle regularly and there are plenty of bike racks and cycle lanes.

Have a look on your university's website and it'll probably explain about getting around campus and what facilities are available for bike storage.

In terms of getting stolen, the recommendations from our uni is to have two different types of bike lock (a chain one and a D-shaped one) but most people just have one. It's just making sure that you lock it up well (preferably through the frame and wheel) and you should be fine.
Get a good lock and you're sorted.
Reply 8
Original post by lhnvvo
check if ur uni has a bike parking space. it's great when it's not raining, just lock the frame when u get there.

I've seen some people missing their wheels though..
Reply 9
Original post by turn-to-page394
I bought my bike once I got to university! It hasn't been stolen.... (I have left it at university so fingers crossed that that's still true). If you do bring one, definitely make sure you have a good lock like a D lock!

How about one of these?
https://www.diy.com/departments/smith-locke-black-steel-combination-cable-lock-w-90mm-l-0-65m/1731789_BQ.prd?utm_source=google_cpc&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=PX_GSC_Tools_And_Hardware_+_Generic&ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=92700029894068683&gclid=CjwKCAjw5ZPcBRBkEiwA-avvk_IKi_OXyz-XIBMwrY6TQcsMduZACBETYr8nHaEUqUOAgvrAY-Up4BoCJy8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNWysfa0kN0CFeow0wodjNMEBQ

It's a bit thicker than this one.

Do you use your bike a lot?
Reply 10
Original post by CTLeafez
If there's a designated bike shelter and you have a decent lock, I think you'll be fine from theft. Just remember to lock the bike to the shelter by the frame, rather than the wheel... Otherwise thieves will just take off the wheel and take the rest :P

I'm planning to bike to Uni next summer :smile:

I've seen some people have their wheels taken off their bike though. Do most universities have a designated bike shelter? Are you going to bike to Uni from your halls or your home?
Reply 11
Original post by greghayes
It depends on which university you're going to but a lot will be cycle-friendly. I go to York and I'd say that about 30% of the students here cycle regularly and there are plenty of bike racks and cycle lanes.

Have a look on your university's website and it'll probably explain about getting around campus and what facilities are available for bike storage.

In terms of getting stolen, the recommendations from our uni is to have two different types of bike lock (a chain one and a D-shaped one) but most people just have one. It's just making sure that you lock it up well (preferably through the frame and wheel) and you should be fine.

I've seen some people do it through the frame or through the wheel. How would you do it through both and to the shelter? Do you know of anyone who has had their bike stolen? I have seen that my uni offers cheaper fares for some stuff.. and they are friendly in terms of bikes. But, I haven't seen the university's bike shelters, and whether there is shelter.
Original post by MKaur18
I've seen some people do it through the frame or through the wheel. How would you do it through both and to the shelter? Do you know of anyone who has had their bike stolen? I have seen that my uni offers cheaper fares for some stuff.. and they are friendly in terms of bikes. But, I haven't seen the university's bike shelters, and whether there is shelter.

I have a bike lock that is like an extra thick chain that fits through my wheel, the frame, and then around the bike rack. It's just finding a lock that is big enough.

I don't personally know of anyone that has had their bike or wheel stolen.
Original post by MKaur18
I've seen some people have their wheels taken off their bike though. Do most universities have a designated bike shelter? Are you going to bike to Uni from your halls or your home?

I can't speak for all Unis, but the ones I know of: Wolves, Nottingham, BCU, Birmingham, Oxbridge, certainly do :smile:

I think if you chain up your bike in a place on campus with a lot of footfall, thieves will have a hard time nicking anything.

If you're really conscientious of theft, you could always chain up the frame AND both wheels.

I'll be biking from my village to Uni, it's about a 7 mile journey so only plan to do it during the nice weather. 7 miles in a snowstorm like earlier this year... No thank you!
Reply 14
I have a bike lock that is like an extra thick chain that fits through my wheel, the frame, and then around the bike rack. It's just finding a lock that is big enough.

Thanks for letting me know. Was yours a huge D lock? What sort of lock was it? How do i find out if my uni has a frame shelter?

I have a cable lock as well for over holidays to secure the wheels to the frame. We were told by the university bike services that a D lock was better but you can always ask at a local bike shop which lock type they'd recommend? People at my university have a range of bike locks tbh and as long as you lock the bike properly, it probably won't get stolen! My bike is very rusty and a pretty mediocre one so I doubt bike thieves would even want to go to the trouble of stealing it... :biggrin:

And I used my bike every weekday for getting to lectures and stuff.
Reply 16
Original post by turn-to-page394
I have a cable lock as well for over holidays to secure the wheels to the frame. We were told by the university bike services that a D lock was better but you can always ask at a local bike shop which lock type they'd recommend? People at my university have a range of bike locks tbh and as long as you lock the bike properly, it probably won't get stolen! My bike is very rusty and a pretty mediocre one so I doubt bike thieves would even want to go to the trouble of stealing it... :biggrin:

And I used my bike every weekday for getting to lectures and stuff.

Sorry for the late reply.

D locks are recommended by my uni too, which I would be getting. At the moment, for the next few weeks of uni, would it be okay to use one of the cable locks?
Reply 17

Original post by CTLeafez
I can't speak for all Unis, but the ones I know of: Wolves, Nottingham, BCU, Birmingham, Oxbridge, certainly do :smile:

I think if you chain up your bike in a place on campus with a lot of footfall, thieves will have a hard time nicking anything.

If you're really conscientious of theft, you could always chain up the frame AND both wheels.

I'll be biking from my village to Uni, it's about a 7 mile journey so only plan to do it during the nice weather. 7 miles in a snowstorm like earlier this year... No thank you!

Can I ask where did you get your good bike locks from? I am looking to get a huge one which I can transport with in my bag and lock securely at campus.
Original post by MKaur18
Can I ask where did you get your good bike locks from? I am looking to get a huge one which I can transport with in my bag and lock securely at campus.

Go into most city centres and you'll find a decent bike shop. If all else fails, Ebay or another website would be your next best bet.
Reply 19
Original post by MKaur18

Get a D-Lock AND a chain lock. The more expensive the better really. I'd recommend Abus or Kryptonite if you can afford them, depends how much you value your bike. D-Lock through the back wheel and real triangle bolted to something fixed. Then the chain lock loops through your front tyre and frame and on to the fixed pole. This stops opportunists just walking past from taking your front wheel

I live in Brighton which is notorious for bike theft. My housemate got his stolen from outside our house, but he had a flimsy chain lock which the thieves snipped through with cutters. Heavy duty D-Locks require angle grinders usually which put a lot of people off.

If possible, keep it inside you house/ halls when you can

Quick Reply

Latest