How to stop at traffic lights

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Do you come to a stop and then keep both the clutch and brake down? Or do you release the brake and keep the clutch down
(new driver here dont judge lol)
ultimateradman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As i approach I put the clutch down and gently push the brake down, slowing down to a stop. It's just like every other time i stop.
Sataris
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No need to keep the clutch depressed, just throw it into neutral once you come to a stop and put the handbrake on, then relax

Disclaimer: I don't remember how to drive a manual
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ultimateradman)
As i approach I put the clutch down and gently push the brake down, slowing down to a stop. It's just like every other time i stop.
But while youre waiting at the traffic lights for it to turn green do you keep both pedals down?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Slow down just using the brake. When you feel the engine starting to labour (the car starts to grumble a bit like it wants you to change down a gear) then you put the clutch down and continue to brake to a stop. Then put the car in neutral, handbrake on and come off the pedals.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Slow down just using the brake. When you feel the engine starting to labour (the car starts to grumble a bit like it wants you to change down a gear) then you put the clutch down and continue to brake to a stop. Then put the car in neutral, handbrake on and come off the pedals.
I havent been told to put the car in neutral and apply the handbrake (unless im stopping on a slope/stopping for a long time). Do you know what to do with the pedals if you dont apply the handbrake
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I havent been told to put the car in neutral and apply the handbrake (unless im stopping on a slope/stopping for a long time). Do you know what to do with the pedals if you dont apply the handbrake
It's best to apply the handbrake. If you get hit from behind you could be knocked into moving traffic which is obviously disastrous. Applying the handbrake also gives you a chance to find the biting point, then take off the handbrake and the car will move.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
It's best to apply the handbrake. If you get hit from behind you could be knocked into moving traffic which is obviously disastrous. Applying the handbrake also gives you a chance to find the biting point, then take off the handbrake and the car will move.
Plus you can relax your feet if you do this.
northernlass
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you come to a stop and then keep both the clutch and brake down? Or do you release the brake and keep the clutch down
I am just learning to drive as well. When you have stopped, keep your clutch down in first gear and put your handbrake on.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
foot on brake, then clutch just before reaching a standstill (~5mph) whilst keeping 1 foot on break. And whilst waiting, I would say keep handbreak on, cr in 1st gear (or 2nd if downhill) and clutch at biting point
Sadieleigh95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Green light – keep your speed, be ready to down gear if it goes to red. Stay in gear until you come to a stop.

Sudden red light – check rear view mirror and if it’s safe, press on clutch and brake together.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Learning to drive.
MrCole&Co
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have had 2 hours of lessons but i think i have enough experience to give some advice as i have done hill starts, 3 point turn, roundabouts, dual carriageway, 4th gear driving and of course Traffic lights.

If you are driving a manual which i suspect you are then follow this.

I drive a diesel so if you drive a petrol it will be slightly different.

When approaching a stop or traffic light, let off the gas, clutch down and slowly push down the foot brake until you come to a stop, whilst in a stop just ensure you are in 1st gear and find the bite point and keep the foot brake down also, once the light goes green and the cars start moving then let go of the foot brake and slowly lift up the clutch and then apply gas and then 2nd gear if necessary
Maryelizabeth21
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MrCole&Co)
I have had 2 hours of lessons but i think i have enough experience to give some advice as i have done hill starts, 3 point turn, roundabouts, dual carriageway, 4th gear driving and of course Traffic lights.

If you are driving a manual which i suspect you are then follow this.

I drive a diesel so if you drive a petrol it will be slightly different.

When approaching a stop or traffic light, let off the gas, clutch down and slowly push down the foot brake until you come to a stop, whilst in a stop just ensure you are in 1st gear and find the bite point and keep the foot brake down also, once the light goes green and the cars start moving then let go of the foot brake and slowly lift up the clutch and then apply gas and then 2nd gear if necessary
Yeah absolutely right . If you are going to be stopped for a while though, I’d use the handbrake. Petrol does make a diffeeence but it depends on the car. My boyfriend’s petrol is very powerful, so he could move off like this without applying the handbrake. I have an older petrol, and unless it’s downhill I generally need to apply the handbrake as it needs more power and is easier to stall. You will also need the handbrake for a hill start.

So in the case of using the handbrake, I would slow down using the brake, apply the clutch and then finish braking. Apply the handbrake and make sure you are in first gear. You could go in neutral as others have mentioned, but I prefer to be in first so I’m ready to move off quickly, but it means you need to keep your foot on the clutch!! You can take your foot off the brake though. Then to move off, find the bite point on the clutch, put your foot on the accelerator enough to get the car moving/not stall and release handbrake, gently lifting off the clutch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads