V1416 – Defence Spending (3%) Bill 2018 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (15)
34.09%
On the contrary, No (26)
59.09%
Abstain (3)
6.82%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
V1416 – Defence Spending (3%) Bill 2018, TSR Libertarian Party

Defence Spending (3%) Bill 2018 Bill 2018

A Bill to set a minimum a Government can spend on Defence.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Definitions

(1) Defence Spending, for the purpose of this bill, includes spending on military defence, civil defence, foreign military aid, research and development in the defence industry, including capital spending, and does not include economic aid.
(2) Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is defined as the monetary value of all finished goods and services produced within a country’s border within a given time as measured by the Office for National Statistics.

2: Minimum Defence Spending

(1) From April 1st 2019, defence spending shall not be less than 2.50% of GDP;
(2) From April 1st 2020, defence spending shall not be less than 2.75% of GDP;
(3) From April 1st 2021, defence spending shall not be less than 3.00% of GDP;

3: Commencement, Short Title, Extent and Conditions

(1) This bill shall come into force upon Royal Assent.
(2) This bill may be cited as the Defence Spending (3%) Bill 2018.
(3) This bill extends to the United Kingdom.

Notes and Costings
Spoiler:
Show

A recent report by the Commons Defence Select Committee made clear that the current defence spending levels are inadequate and that a rise to 3% would be preferable. Proposed in the bill is a minimum of 3% defence spending. This means we can begin to urgently rebuild a military which has not been looked after in recent years.

2018 Q1 UK GDP - £504,195m
2018 Q2 UK GDP Forecast - 0.3% Growth [OBR] - £505,708m
2018 Q3 UK GDP Forecast - 0.5% Growth [OBR] - £508,236m
2018 Q4 UK GDP Forecast - 0.4% Growth [OBR] - £510,269m
2018 UK GDP Forecast - £2,028,408,000,000
2019 UK GDP growth forecast - 1.3% growth [OBR] - £2,054,777 m
2020 UK GDP growth forecast - 1.3% growth [OBR] - £2,081,489 m
2021 UK GDP growth forecast - 1.4% growth [OBR] - £2,110,630 m
2019 2.50% of GDP - £51,369 m
2020 2.75% of GDP - £57,241 m
2020 3.00% of GDP - £63,319 m

http://cdn.obr.uk/EFO-MaRch_2018.pdf - OBR Growth Forecast Page 52
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/gross...eries/abmi/qna - Using seasonally adjusted Q1 GDP as basis for growth figures.

https://publications.parliament.uk/p.../818/81802.htm - Defence Select Committee Report on Defence Spending.

Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
All one has to do is look a the state of the armed forces today: the Army is at its smallest for nearly two centuries; the Navy brass admit they are dependent on allies to be able to protect our main naval assets, and the Air Force has been disposing of vital aircraft well before their replacements arrive. The military is in need of a prolonged period of increased funding and this £8bn a year bill creates high skilled jobs in the North and Scotland while reversing a decade of decline.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Nay. John Q Public is no safer by having an obsessively increased military that does nothing to protect him day to day. He needs a police force that isn’t being cut to smithereens first. At the same time, whilst we have people suffering under the very same austerity that libertarians would only accelerate, an extreme military increase feels unconscionable.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Nay.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Saracen's Fez Apologies, I happened to have misclicked. Could you change my vote to Nay please?
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It's strange that the party of no government is submitting legislation to mandate what the government must spend.

Aye though.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Saracen's Fez Apologies, I happened to have misclicked. Could you change my vote to Nay please?
Just tagging Jammy Duel as he'll be dealing with this declaration.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
It's strange that the party of no government is submitting legislation to mandate what the government must spend.

Aye though.
It's not uncommon for libertarians to view defence as one of the legitimate roles of the state.....
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
It's not uncommon for libertarians to view defence as one of the legitimate roles of the state.....
Defence of its own citizens, not “defence” in the form of warmongering around the world and entering ****-measuring contests with the US. You don't need £68 billion per year to accomplish the former…

I also find it hilarious you want a huge military to defend Britain from alleged threats thousands of kilometres away but fail to protect ordinary citizens and tourists right in the centre of your crumbling empire and persecute harmless people for online ‘hate speech’ instead.

Let me also remind you that virtually the same institution that claims the UK military needs at least a 50% increase in its budget to survive has yet to present evidence in support of its accusations that the Russian government is behind the alleged March poisoning after more than five months, because so far we've seen nothing, however small and indirect, only lies from key government officials.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Nay.

I'd love to see the defense budget increased and in time i would probably go beyond 3% however at this time finances do not allow for it.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Nay.

I'd love to see the defense budget increased and in time i would probably go beyond 3% however at this time finances do not allow for it.
Is that because you have publicly declared that taxes aren't going up but you have no idea where to cut.

You're supposed to be the party of defence but even when admitting the forces don't have enough resources you aren't willing to spend £8bn
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Is that because you have publicly declared that taxes aren't going up but you have no idea where to cut.

You're supposed to be the party of defence but even when admitting the forces don't have enough resources you aren't willing to spend £8bn
This may be revisited later, you are not talking to somebody unsympathetic.

This is simply a fiscal choice. A hard one but which is necessary for now.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
This may be revisited later, you are not talking to somebody unsympathetic.

This is simply a fiscal choice. A hard one but which is necessary for now.
I wait to see a budget where £8bn for independence in defence is u affordable
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
One aye has been changed to a no.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The Ayes to the right, 14
The Noes to the left, 27

I think the Noes have it, the Noes have it! Unlock!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads