• Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
B1420 – Positive Action (Repeal) Bill 2018, TSR Libertarian Party

Positive Action (Repeal) Bill 2018

A Bill to repeal ‘positive actin’.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Definitions
(1) ‘Protected characteristics’ are defined in sections 4-12 of the Equality Act 2010.
(2) ‘Positive action’ is defined in section 158 of the Equality Act 2010.

2: Repeal of positive action
(1) Section 158 of the Equality Act 2010 is hereby repealed.
(2) Section 159 of the Equality Act 2010 is hereby repealed.
(3) Organisations shall not give persons preferable treatment due to a protected characteristic.
(4) Giving persons preferable treatment due to a protected characteristic shall hereby be considered discrimination.

3: Commencement, Short Title, Extent and Conditions
(1) This bill shall come into force upon Royal Assent.(insert text here).
(2) This bill may be cited as the Positive Action (Repeal) Bill 2018.
(3) This bill extends to the United Kingdom.

Notes
Spoiler:
Show
‘Positive action’ is essentially a form of discrimination against persons with an absence of protected characteristics. Furthermore, any form of ‘affirmative action’ has limited evidence of improving the lives of minorities.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/part/11/chapter/2
http://researchbriefings.files.parliame nt.uk/documents/SN06093/SN06093.pdf - a parliamentary briefing paper explaining what positive action is and how it works.
http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/advice/practice-notes/equality-act-2010/#ea51 – the Law Society’s explanation of s158 and s159.

ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Agree with the sentiment and the repeal of positive action in regards to all protected characteristics barring disability - people ought to be considered based on merit, which may not be immediately apparent in disabled candidates.
katf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Would reasonable adjustments for disability be considered positive action? For example, my boss allows me time off for counselling.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Aye, all discrimination should be banned
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ns_2)
Agree with the sentiment and the repeal of positive action in regards to all protected characteristics barring disability - people ought to be considered based on merit, which may not be immediately apparent in disabled candidates.
So why should somebody with a disability be given preferential treatment and not be treated as an equal?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by katf)
Would reasonable adjustments for disability be considered positive action? For example, my boss allows me time off for counselling.
And that is entirely at the discretion of your employer, there is no statutory requirement for them to do this
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
So why should somebody with a disability be given preferential treatment and not be treated as an equal?
Because they are physically unable to be 'equal', and doing so would bring discrimination law in line with the action of the government in respect to benefits; benefits which go to only one group of protected characteristics - the disabled.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ns_2)
Because they are physically unable to be 'equal', and doing so would bring discrimination law in line with the action of the government in respect to benefits; benefits which go to only one group of protected characteristics - the disabled.
Have you actually read the sections being repealed? This has nothing to do with benefits
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Have you actually read the sections being repealed? This has nothing to do with benefits
I am aware of what this Bill does - i.e. removing the concept of positive discrimination ('positive action')

Whilst I wholeheartedly support the removal of positive action in respect to gender, race and the majority of the other protected characteristics, I see disability as a characteristic that ought to remain protected given the vulnerable nature of disabled people.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ns_2)
I am aware of what this Bill does - i.e. removing the concept of positive discrimination ('positive action'

Whilst I wholeheartedly support the removal of positive action in respect to gender, race and the majority of the other protected characteristics, I see disability as a characteristic that ought to remain protected given the vulnerable nature of disabled people.
Are disabled people as a whole inherently more vulnerable than any other group though?
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Are disabled people as a whole inherently more vulnerable than any other group though?
Than any other protected characteristic on a long term basis, barring children and the elderly (who are unlikely to be in employment anyway), yes.
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A bill to repeal positive actin'! Not sure what positive acting is, but aye if it means banning Taylor Swift from starring in films. #HitlorMustFall
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Aye aye aye aye
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ns_2)
Than any other protected characteristic on a long term basis, barring children and the elderly (who are unlikely to be in employment anyway), yes.
I'd just like to point out here that positive action is at present entirely voluntary, so there will already be businesses that don't engage in such activities to give special treatment to the disabled and those with other protected characteristics.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Aye.

A good bill (though correct the 'actin' spelling mistake) and for future HANSARD purposes i would perhaps take from your links to beef up the notes but it's fine as it is.

If it does not already, i would extend this to remove the ability for all-women shortlists ect..
Mr Eurosceptic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This should not be called the Positive Action (Repeal) Bill. It should be titled the 'Anti-Discrimination Bill'. All types of discrimination have positive effects for someone and negative effects for another. Only stale yogurts would support discrimination.
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Aye.

A good bill (though correct the 'actin' spelling mistake) and for future HANSARD purposes i would perhaps take from your links to beef up the notes but it's fine as it is.

If it does not already, i would extend this to remove the ability for all-women shortlists ect..
I'll make sure the mistake is fixed.
Eppeb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Aye "positive action" is not positive at all.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Seems good to me.

Ayeeeeee.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This has entered cessation.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed