Psychotherapeutic Counselling Career Advice Watch

H/94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello. I have been considering counselling/psychotherapy as a career option for a while now, and was told by a counsellor at my university that the best way into the profession would be to finish my degree (I'm in year 1), and then embark onn a very expensive masters degree course in psychotherapy. Money is tight, and as a (somewhat!) mature student I would like to start training for a future career as soon as possible. I came across this course at a local college:
https://www.windsor-forest.ac.uk/cou...ng-skills.html
From what I've read, it seems that I could do this evening course and the level 3 course alongside my second and third years at university, and then complete the level 4 diploma whilst working another job for two years - then, bam, qualified! Or... maybe not?? Basically, I would like to know whether this is a viable route into the profession, and also what my career prospects would be once qualified (in other words, how likely will it be that I find work - either freelance or employed). Thanks!
alleycat393
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by H/94)
Hello. I have been considering counselling/psychotherapy as a career option for a while now, and was told by a counsellor at my university that the best way into the profession would be to finish my degree (I'm in year 1), and then embark onn a very expensive masters degree course in psychotherapy. Money is tight, and as a (somewhat!) mature student I would like to start training for a future career as soon as possible. I came across this course at a local college:
From what I've read, it seems that I could do this evening course and the level 3 course alongside my second and third years at university, and then complete the level 4 diploma whilst working another job for two years - then, bam, qualified! Or... maybe not?? Basically, I would like to know whether this is a viable route into the profession, and also what my career prospects would be once qualified (in other words, how likely will it be that I find work - either freelance or employed). Thanks!
You may also want to consider counselling courses as I believe you need accreditation.

She-Ra isn't psychotherapy your thing?
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by H/94)
I would contact the college and ask what the career outcome is of this course - will you have to do more courses (I suspect you will) - it's worth finding out what other students have gone on to do.
H/94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
I would contact the college and ask what the career outcome is of this course - will you have to do more courses (I suspect you will) - it's worth finding out what other students have gone on to do.
Thanks, guys. I have contacted them and will hopefully get an encouraging reply.

She-Ra - how did you get into psychotherapy/counseling?
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Staff
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by H/94)
Thanks, guys. I have contacted them and will hopefully get an encouraging reply.

She-Ra - how did you get into psychotherapy/counseling?
I did a course in solution-focused psychotherapy and hypnotherapy in Brighton which was fantastic
atrial
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Was that the level 4 ABC counselling course and if it was, what was involved i.e., study time and reading time etc? Any advice would be helpful.
Nerol
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've just done the ABC level 3 and loved it. Just attended one evening a week. Not too much reading or essay writing. Level 4 is also part time, one class a week of maybe 5 hours, then you also need to do a placement with face to face counselling practice with clients. The number of hours is a minimum of 100 I think. You also need supervision hours and often personal therapy of 20 hours which you would also have to pay for. Once you complete level 4 you can work as a counsellor. To get accreditation, you will probably need more supervision and counselling practice hours.
(Original post by atrial)
Was that the level 4 ABC counselling course and if it was, what was involved i.e., study time and reading time etc? Any advice would be helpful.
atrial
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for that information, it was useful. Do you know anyone who is actually on the Level 4 ABC who could give info on the content.
Nerol
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't I'm afraid. However, if you go to https://www.abcawards.co.uk/qualific...c-counselling/ and click the link for qualification guide, theres a PDF with loads of info about the course content.
(Original post by atrial)
Thanks for that information, it was useful. Do you know anyone who is actually on the Level 4 ABC who could give info on the content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads