Are these A-Levels good for Computer Science?

Watch
BobJ1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone!

Thanks for being so kind and looking at my question! Essentially, I want to study Computer Science at Oxbridge/Imperial. The unis recommend Further Maths, Maths, Physics. I am planning on taking 4 A-Levels. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Would taking Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Computer Science be the perfect subject choices? Or should I change Computer Science (since I believe it's not required???) for something different such as Economics or Government and Politics so that my brain can rest from maths (not that I don't like it since it's my favourite)?
Thank you for any advice!!
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BobJ1234)
Hello everyone!

Thanks for being so kind and looking at my question! Essentially, I want to study Computer Science at Oxbridge/Imperial. The unis recommend Further Maths, Maths, Physics. I am planning on taking 4 A-Levels. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Would taking Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Computer Science be the perfect subject choices? Or should I change Computer Science (since I believe it's not required???) for something different such as Economics or Government and Politics so that my brain can rest from maths (not that I don't like it since it's my favourite)?
Hey

Why are you so set on studying 4 A-Levels? You don't want to be burning yourself out!
ScrewTheExams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello everyone!

Hi!

3 A-levels is enough, but if you're going for 4 then I would pick an easier one for the 4th one, so that you are able to get a good grade in it with slightly more ease in all honesty. It's up to you though!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello everyone!

It's up to you, but you do need to show a genuine interest in computing. Time wise, CS might make that easier.
BobJ1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Hey

Why are you so set on studying 4 A-Levels? You don't want to be burning yourself out!
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the response! I have decided to do Computer Science instead of Economics. I want to do 4 A-Levels since I am very passionate about these subjects and I love learning them in depth. Also, won't it give me an edge in Oxbridge applications?? Thanks (and the school I am going to has a 4 A-Level minimum policy...)
Thanks again!
BobJ1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
It's up to you, but you do need to show a genuine interest in computing. Time wise, CS might make that easier.
Thank you!! Yeah that is what changed my mind!
BobJ1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScrewTheExams)
Hi!

3 A-levels is enough, but if you're going for 4 then I would pick an easier one for the 4th one, so that you are able to get a good grade in it with slightly more ease in all honesty. It's up to you though!
I did very well in Computer Science GCSE and even though it is only a GCSE and not an A-Level , I enjoy it very much. I looked at the Economics spec and seemed boring (for me - no offence to anyone ). Thanks for the response!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (40)
5.88%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
11.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (87)
12.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.44%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (38)
5.59%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (73)
10.74%
Financial worries (43)
6.32%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (29)
4.26%
Exposure to negative news/social media (41)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (21)
3.09%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (66)
9.71%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (54)
7.94%

Watched Threads