LH1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Anyone who has done a geography degree, or knows about them, I was wondering what sort of jobs geographers decided to go into and how hard did you find getting a job?
I am looking to apply to a Russell group university, but don't want to become a map maker or teacher and want some advice.
thanks
!play
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well there are no jobs exclusive to geography post graduates. So anything really that doesn't require a degree specific to the job, like engineering.
laki83
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a geography graduate and I work for my local council in data and statistics. My friends from uni have jobs in flood management, water management, environment consultancy, human resources and energy courses. We only gradutated in 2016 so a few still have retail jobs etc.

Finding a job is pretty easy. The great thing about a geography degree is that it teaches you universal skills that all employers look for. Skills like problem solving, research, data analysis, statistics, report writing etc. Once you have those skills, it's easy to apply them to all sorts of different jobs.
A02ft1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Geographers know that Geography is the most employable degree. You become a generalist and a problem solver with practice tackling a diversity of issues. A Geography degree is also very research and data oriented, two very valuable skills in the eyes of employers. For both the private and public sector, how to manage climate change disruption is a very hot topic. Climate change is a central focus of a Geography degree, especially on the physical side.

Sometimes the problem is more about communicating what a Geography degree entails. Because, as you mention, there are some stereotypes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads