Should I be taking computing A-Level if I don't want a job that involves programming? Watch

allenpc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Unsure if the skills obtained from studying computing A-Level are worth it in other fields, that don't involve programming at all, in comparison to history, which is my other A-Level choice that I am considering taking instead of computing.

To clarify, the computing course is entirely based on programming.
GalGirl101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on your exam board. I did AQA so I had a 20% coursework where you had to code something from scratch and 40% of my grade came from a programming exam. So depends on your exam board
allenpc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by GalGirl101)
Depends on your exam board. I did AQA so I had a 20% coursework where you had to code something from scratch and 40% of my grade came from a programming exam. So depends on your exam board
Whole grade comes from things that are programming based. Mostly practical coursework, with some theory.
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by allenpc)
Whole grade comes from things that are programming based. Mostly practical coursework, with some theory.
Do it if you enjoy it and don't need history?
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unsure if the skills obtained from studying computing A-Level are worth it in other fields, that don't involve programming at all, in comparison to history, which is my other A-Level choice that I am considering taking instead of computing.

To clarify, the computing course is entirely based on programming.
Realistically speaking, the (academic) skills you gain at A Level are going to have very little impact on anything you do in the future. A Levels are little more than an introduction and a stepping stone up to University.

It is unlikely that you will only learn programming at A Level. I would argue that everyone should have at least a basic knowledge of technology and how things work, a good portion of which you'll get in the average A Level Computing or CS course. Programming in particular is also good for encouraging problem solving skills and practicing logic.

These A Level skills all basically have the same level of transfer between different job roles and many of them will be of little use. But the A Levels you take don't define your job in the slightest. If you want to take Computing even though you don't want a programming job, that's absolutely fine. There are other technology jobs available if that's what you want. And you're perfectly allowed to take A Levels outside the range of your preferred career
GalGirl101
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If programming is not what you want to do then I wouldn't bother and take the history
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What drove you to choose computing at A-level in the first place if it's not something you enjoy? You should choose whichever subjects are going to give you the best chance at getting the grades you need for the next stage in your life - whether that's getting into university or some other higher-education course, or an apprenticeship. If you're not interested in doing any further study nor work involving computing, then there's very little reason to choose Computing at A-level. The grades you get at A-level are important, but your subject choices are mostly irrelevant unless there's some specific requirement (e.g. Maths for a STEM degree).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.59%
No (157)
74.41%

Watched Threads