The Student Room Group

Short online gcse courses for 15 year old.

I’m 15 years old. About to start year 11. There is complications going on at my school. So therefore I wanted to look into short online gcse courses I could take (September-to when I sit my GCSEs) I work better at home,there is too many distractions at my school.
Currently at school I do maths,English,sciences,German and sociology
Would this be possible?
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, there are many websites available that allow you to learn GCSE courses online. Many are expensive though.

Thing is, is that in order to do the exam for that course, you will need to register yourself as a private/external exam candidate at a school/college/education centre willing to allow you to take the exam under their supervision.
i'm fairly certain it's possible, but it's very expensive to get tutoring etc. look into distance learning, but it's about £250 per course, so not ideal!
the other option is to teach yourself from textbooks, and enter as a private candidate at a local school or college, but this will also cost you.
depending on what you'd like to do in the future, you could look into taking a level 2 vocational course at college with maths and english gcse; this would be free but usually you're limited to foundation qualifications.
Reply 3
Original post by Qup
Yes, there are many websites available that allow you to learn GCSE courses online. Many are expensive though.

Thing is, is that in order to do the exam for that course, you will need to register yourself as a private/external exam candidate at a school/college/education centre willing to allow you to take the exam under their supervision.

Could you tell me a few sites please?
Reply 4
Original post by pinegrove
i'm fairly certain it's possible, but it's very expensive to get tutoring etc. look into distance learning, but it's about £250 per course, so not ideal!
the other option is to teach yourself from textbooks, and enter as a private candidate at a local school or college, but this will also cost you.
depending on what you'd like to do in the future, you could look into taking a level 2 vocational course at college with maths and english gcse; this would be free but usually you're limited to foundation qualifications.

So for the tutoring if I just wanted to do the basics so Maths,English,science ect. Would those courses be very expensive?
Original post by Kelshahall
Could you tell me a few sites please?

ICSLearn is a site that i have come across when i wanted to retake my science GCSE as a private candidate. I haven't used it yet and do not know if i even will, but it does seem very beneficial to do so. Here is the link: https://www.icslearn.co.uk/courses/gcse-and-igcse/

Cloudlearn is also another site that i have come across. Here is the link for that site: https://cloudlearn.co.uk/Courses/Online-GCSE-Courses/100

Quick Reply

Latest