Is it possible to do A-levels in one year? Watch

aspiringbiomedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm thinking of fast tracking A-level Biology and Chemistry. So both the AS + A-level content. Is it possible to do this and get a good grade?

Opinions
Freya2610
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im doing a levels at the moment and its stressful doing it over two years, personally i think you would struggle and its worth waiting another year for better grades and less stress. But do whatever is best for you! Good luck!
aspiringbiomedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Freya2610)
Im doing a levels at the moment and its stressful doing it over two years, personally i think you would struggle and its worth waiting another year for better grades and less stress. But do whatever is best for you! Good luck!
What year are you in? I like these subjects though, so I figured if I really put my mind to it, I could.
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why are you trying to rush? What do you get out of fast tracking your way through it?
Freya2610
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aspiringbiomedic)
What year are you in? I like these subjects though, so I figured if I really put my mind to it, I could.
Im going into year 13 and here is so much stress. A lot of people at my old school tried four a levels and dropped one due t stress. I originally wanted to do four but decided against it as i get stressed easily and wanted to focus on the three instead. Hope this helps
aspiringbiomedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Why are you trying to rush? What do you get out of fast tracking your way through it?
Well, I'm self-studying and sitting these privately so I get more time. I've heard some private students, especially mature ones have done it in a year. It's just less convenient for me if I wait for another year.
Dyscopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Fast-tracking is definitely possible. I also have friends who did it and scored well. The main reason they did it was because of their age or complications at their previous school. One even got A*A*A at A-level, but he went to a private school in the UK which taught the programme in one year.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, I'm self-studying and sitting these privately so I get more time. I've heard some private students, especially mature ones have done it in a year. It's just less convenient for me if I wait for another year.
That's fair. It's entirely possible to do everything in one year, especially with how A2 exams make up the majority or all of your grades now. Generally I'd recommend against it but as a private candidate you should have a much better idea of what you are capable of. Of course you won't get the support of staff so you may still struggle. I'd still say there isn't a real benefit to it as you're probably not pushed for time. But the only way you can really be sure is to actually try.
aspiringbiomedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by MagicalMedic)
Fast-tracking is definitely possible. I also have friends who did it and scored well. The main reason they did it was because of their age or complications at their previous school. One even got A*A*A at A-level, but he went to a private school in the UK which taught the programme in one year.
It's a relief to know! May I ask about your situation, are you studying medicine?
Dyscopia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a relief to know! May I ask about your situation, are you studying medicine?
Heya!

Sure thing. Yeah I’ll be starting medicine this September
Skyrim
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am planning to do A Level Biology, Philosophy and Politics in one year for the exams in June 2019. I will be enrolling with either NEC or Cloudlearn however I am not yet aware of what the examination fees are and will be phoning both colleges tomorrow also regarding installment plans. If you have selected subjects you know you are motivated to succeed in then I certainly don't see why it shouldn't be possible to complete in one year.
ewecrazy?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently doing fast track Chemistry with the National Extension College (NEC) alongside my current degree! As long as you make time in your schedule to do it, you'll be fine. I just block Chemistry in as if I had a lecture and sit in the library to do it so I know I won't back out of it.
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could with determination but it is a lotttt of work..especially biology the content makes me want to peel my eyes out, I've done my AS, and going into year 13 doing bio and chem, and they both have a lot of work and content i think I had about 19 topics in total for Chem which is okay, and about 30 something for Biology. It'll be best to span it over the two years, less stress more time to juggle each topic, not saying that you can't do it in a year these things are possible but they will require a lot of your time and effort it's best to do it over two years
Slflay
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you work on it constant im sure you can make it through. Had no idea there was a fast track! I would have done that if I knew! I wish you luck!
aspiringbiomedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skyrim)
I am planning to do A Level Biology, Philosophy and Politics in one year for the exams in June 2019. I will be enrolling with either NEC or Cloudlearn however I am not yet aware of what the examination fees are and will be phoning both colleges tomorrow also regarding installment plans. If you have selected subjects you know you are motivated to succeed in then I certainly don't see why it shouldn't be possible to complete in one year.
Good luck! When do you plan to start studying or have you already started?
aspiringbiomedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by ewecrazy?)
I'm currently doing fast track Chemistry with the National Extension College (NEC) alongside my current degree! As long as you make time in your schedule to do it, you'll be fine. I just block Chemistry in as if I had a lecture and sit in the library to do it so I know I won't back out of it.
Oh wow, that's cool! Btw does NEC have good material for fast track Chemistry? Do you feel supported by the tutor they supposedly give you?
Do let me know what you think of it overall.
Sail3121
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi All,

I am interested in doing A-Level Chemistry as a fast track course completed in 1 year and by distance learning. But I'm not which course is best? Which one would you all recommend? I'd need to sign up fairly soon to do it within this academic year. Also, how do we get around the Practical Assessments?
ewecrazy?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sail3121)
Hi All,

I am interested in doing A-Level Chemistry as a fast track course completed in 1 year and by distance learning. But I'm not which course is best? Which one would you all recommend? I'd need to sign up fairly soon to do it within this academic year. Also, how do we get around the Practical Assessments?
I'm currently doing a fast track chemistry a level with the National Extension College and they've been good for me! You get access to an online textbook, quizzes, assignments and have your own personal tutor to guide you through it all. In regards to the practical endorsement, they have nominated centres across the country that they use for the practicals so I'm sure that would be easy to organise. As I've already done another degree, I spoke to the universities I'm applying to to see whether they would consider me without the endorsement and they all said i wouldnt need to take it due to me completing ISAs with my A levels and having a practical heavy degree, so I don't know whether you are in similar circumstances? If you are, I'd phone up each university and ask because it's really expensive to get the endorsement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads