Could I get into VetMed with a bio veterinary science degree?

Watch
username2878944
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm really interested in becoming a vet and originally applied for veterinary medicine in year 13. I had a conditional offer from Edinburgh however my A levels didn't go to plan as several things happened this year which caused my grades to be hindered, I got AABC with biology and chemistry being the latter two grades. I was wondering if I did a bioveterinary science degree at the rvc would it be possible to still do veterinary medicine in the future?
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Doing veterinary postgrad with a bioveterinary science degree is definitely a valid option, Some vet schools will allow a postgraduate to enter a 4 year accelerated programme and others insist you still take the 5 year degree. Competition for postgrad places is high but it is not an impossible aim by any means. You would have to research vet schools policy on postgrad A-levels as some may still require higher grades in biology and chemistry.

If it is a possible option taking a gap year and resitting those A levels to try and get the grades up would be easiest. Again individual vet schools have differing policies on resitting but if you have mitigating circumstances they are likely to be more lenient upon this.

Best wishes with your future applications
username2878944
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by VMD100)
Doing veterinary postgrad with a bioveterinary science degree is definitely a valid option, Some vet schools will allow a postgraduate to enter a 4 year accelerated programme and others insist you still take the 5 year degree. Competition for postgrad places is high but it is not an impossible aim by any means. You would have to research vet schools policy on postgrad A-levels as some may still require higher grades in biology and chemistry.

If it is a possible option taking a gap year and resitting those A levels to try and get the grades up would be easiest. Again individual vet schools have differing policies on resitting but if you have mitigating circumstances they are likely to be more lenient upon this.

Best wishes with your future applications
Thank you for letting me know it's still possible , I doubt my circumstances would be sufficient enough to count as mitigated circumstances unfortunately. It was more personal issues and mental health related rather than things such as family bereavement or other mitigated circumstances.
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Megjoy00)
Thank you for letting me know it's still possible , I doubt my circumstances would be sufficient enough to count as mitigated circumstances unfortunately. It was more personal issues and mental health related rather than things such as family bereavement or other mitigated circumstances.
Your circumstances may not count to an exam board in terms of altering grades but its possible telling universities you apply for the reason you attained the grades you did may make them more flexible on admissions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (696)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (874)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.08%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.48%

Watched Threads