Is taking English and history at a level too tough??

Watch
ellamalik
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ellamalik)
Nope, just a lot of essays.
ellamalik
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
But are the essays very different in terms of structure and layout?

(Original post by 999tigger)
Nope, just a lot of essays.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ellamalik)
But are the essays very different in terms of structure and layout?
Very different from what? From each other or GCSE?

They ask a question you then think about it and write an answer.
CrazyTeaParties
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm assuming you're referring to English Lit? I just completed them both at A Level, and yes, it is tough. They're both heavily essay based subjects, so if your essay writing skills aren't up to scratch you will struggle. However, many students study the two together, as they also complement each other well, particuarly when you are looking at context for literature. Literary context can also relate to historical context - such as the Romantics, and their 'rebellion' against the Industrial Revolution. Ultimately, both subjects are hard, as is the nature of them - but if you are prepared to put in the hours, both are also incredibly interesting and really enjoyable to learn about, with endless levels of depth you can go into with them. I would highly reccommend them, but also make sure you are aware what you are getting in to - it won't be easy.

For context, I studied English Lit and History at A Level, where I got an A in English and an A* in History, and I'm now off to study English and History at Warwick in September Best of luck with whatever you do!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah. It's a bit silly to assume that nobody copes.
HT2412
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CrazyTeaParties)
I'm assuming you're referring to English Lit? I just completed them both at A Level, and yes, it is tough. They're both heavily essay based subjects, so if your essay writing skills aren't up to scratch you will struggle. However, many students study the two together, as they also complement each other well, particuarly when you are looking at context for literature. Literary context can also relate to historical context - such as the Romantics, and their 'rebellion' against the Industrial Revolution. Ultimately, both subjects are hard, as is the nature of them - but if you are prepared to put in the hours, both are also incredibly interesting and really enjoyable to learn about, with endless levels of depth you can go into with them. I would highly reccommend them, but also make sure you are aware what you are getting in to - it won't be easy.

For context, I studied English Lit and History at A Level, where I got an A in English and an A* in History, and I'm now off to study English and History at Warwick in September Best of luck with whatever you do!
As someone just about to start Y13 studying English Literature, History and RS, I second everything you've said. Studying both is certainly manageable, plenty of people do it! Just be prepared to write plenty of essays!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (136)
58.87%
No (52)
22.51%
Not sure (43)
18.61%

Watched Threads