Increase in fees for international students that are applying to medical schools? Watch

on9977t
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Afaik, it's a consultation document. It's not actually in place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So the actual one does have a quota?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by on9977t)
So the actual one does have a quote?
There is currently a quota in place.
on9977t
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
There is currently a quota in place.
Yeah, so there will still be a quota then. Thank you
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
They claim about £110,000.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...sion_rev_A.pdf
That's a lot :eek: :eek2: :eek3:
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
That's a lot :eek: :eek2: :eek3:
If we assume 33 weeks per year (which is generous when you remember things like holidays, elective and exam periods) it works out as £220 per day per student, or £1100 per day per group of 5 on a ward.

Let think about that. Remember its only what's run by the NHS so excludes everything that's run by the med school. So excludes all med school admin, excludes all exams, excludes all welfare support. Its Purely for allowing students to follow on ward and clinic duties and the maybe 1 hour per week of dedicated teaching that gets organised for them (maybe you do more but that's your choice and doesn't affect income!)

£1,100 per day.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
If we assume 33 weeks per year (which is generous when you remember things like holidays, elective and exam periods) it works out as £220 per day per student, or £1100 per day per group of 5 on a ward.

Let think about that. Remember its only what's run by the NHS so excludes everything that's run by the med school. So excludes all med school admin, excludes all exams, excludes all welfare support. Its Purely for allowing students to follow on ward and clinic duties and the maybe 1 hour per week of dedicated teaching that gets organised for them (maybe you do more but that's your choice and doesn't affect income!)

£1,100 per day.
:eek4:
francisho61
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is a flaw in assuming that NHS is subsidising for clinical placements. Arent the hospitals there for patients and treating patients. Furthermore, with input from medical schools medical treatment is being improved. Its a win-win situation for both parties.
medds
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought med students helped on the ward with taking blood and things - shouldn't they be paid?! Aren't they of some value?
Mamakata
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Edinburgh has published their 2019 fees: £32,100 for year 1-3 and £49,900 for year 4-6. Expect clinical fees to be equally steep elsewhere.
RGaya3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Many of the England colleges have published fee now. Has not increased significantly. Increased onlu 2-3k£ p. a
Rits21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wooow I can’t believe they’re actually rising them that’s so sad I applied last year but couldn’t go because the fees were already too high :/ but you work hard and focus on getting accepted, do your best and keep looking for scholarships and other fundings maybe you’ll get lucky! Where are you from?
raylor99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RGaya3)
Many of the England colleges have published fee now. Has not increased significantly. Increased onlu 2-3k£ p. a
Hey may I know which unis?
RGaya3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by raylor99)
Hey may I know which unis?
St. Georges, Leicester, Liverpool, NewCastle
raylor99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RGaya3)
St. Georges, Leicester, Liverpool, NewCastle
Ohh yep i saw. Glad they didn't increase it by too much. These universities have fixed fee guarantee or no?
Mamakata
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No fee published yet from UCL, KCL or Bristol I
on9977t
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mamakata)
No fee published yet from UCL, KCL or Bristol I
I had emailed UCL and they said the fees are definitely going to be increased due to this.
Rits21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Volibear)
Scholarships are few and far between. Especially for international students
Yes Ikr i didn’t find one either , but perhaps she or he can find funding from foreign institutions
raylor99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys I talked a Leicester med admissions person, and she said that the fees will almost definitely increase in 2020 because the government simply postponed the changes for another year. ( most likely keeping brexit in mind)
on9977t
Rep:
?
(Original post by raylor99)
Hey guys I talked a Leicester med admissions person, and she said that the fees will almost definitely increase in 2020 because the government simply postponed the changes for another year. ( most likely keeping brexit in mind)
Is it true that the government had postponed it for another year? Because Cambridge had increased their fees...
raylor99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by on9977t)
Is it true that the government had postponed it for another year? Because Cambridge had increased their fees...
Well according to the Leicester's admissions team the fees only increased slightly because they have yet to put the changes into place
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (420)
43.8%
No (100)
10.43%
I'm not old enough (439)
45.78%

Watched Threads