Jennyjet83
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does anyone have any advice or opinions on the best UK universities for studying to become a secondary school teacher?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jennyjet83)
Does anyone have any advice or opinions on the best UK universities for studying to become a secondary school teacher?
Moved to Teacher training, teaching and education jobs

Tagging SarcAndSpark who uh... might be able to add some spark to this thread :lol:
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
All universities, and indeed other providers, that offer teacher training are themselves assessed; there aren't really any bad choices. Focus on what kind of teacher training you want, the entry requirements, what support they offer, and what the city is like, as you'll be spending a lot of time on placement. Those factors are generally more important than reputation, and the schools that you'll eventually seek a job at won't care about the reputation of the place you went to compared to how good your interview/sample lesson is.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
UCL took over the Institute of Education, which is one of the most respected PGCE courses in the country.

Beyond this, I do think going to a university that is locally respected can help you get employment (or so I have been told by some current teachers, anyway).

However, a PGCE is a fairly standardised qualification and it doesn't really matter where you do it too much- I think it's best to pick a uni in a suitable location (you can be asked to commute a long way to placement at some universities) and one you get a good, supportive vibe from.

You get to apply to three choices initially, and personally, I found you could tell a lot about the universities at interview. I chose the one that felt most supportive and the only one where they seemed keen we had a life beyond the PGCE. It is going to be a tough year, so I think a supportive, organised uni is a must!

Hope this helps a bit!
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Agreed with the above. Something you might consider though is either school direct or SCHITT as these offer a little more certainty about which schools you will end up being placed at. If you go through university, there is more of a chance of pot luck.

Good luck!
username4094562
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I picked a university based upon whether I thought they would provide a good level of support as you do your PGCE. I have read stories of how some universities were really bad at supporting students having issues with teaching mentors, resulting in some of them failing the course. UCL is really good. They have always answered any questions I have and managed to find a good placement college for me.
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
As people have said. The requirements for you to get QTS (qualified teacher status) are the same for all universities and that is the actual part of the training that lets you teach. The PGCE on its own does not as that is the academic part of the qualification. So in regards to universities being more respected it’s doesn’t really work like that’s as such. Ofsted so rate each institute so that is a guide as to the quality of their course. But I would be more inclined to look at where they place students, how many essays you have to write and what the course structure is, rather than is the uni respected. Find one that looks like it may work for you. Someone has mentioned that you may have better mentors at one uni than another. I’m a mentor at my school and I can tell you the uni have no say in the mentors at schools so you can have a less supportive one at any uni. Universities would rather not upset a school by saying their choice of mentor is not acceptable and risk losing the school when they already struggle for placement schools.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (109)
68.13%
No (33)
20.63%
I didn't use it to prepare (18)
11.25%

Watched Threads