The Student Room Group

Petrified of relationships

Hi, I think I'm either scared of commitment or scared of putting my trust in someone. Frankly I've never been in a relationship and even though I love the thought of it I just crumble at the slightest chance idk why. Is anyone else the same or know how I can overcome it? I'm quite a confident person but I'm like very reserved I listen more than I speak if you know what I mean.
Sometimes you've just gotta take a leap of faith.

Find someone you get on with really well. Your personalities align and your senses of humour are similar. I don't think you'll find this sort of person in any bar or club I'm afraid.

You say you're scared of putting your trust in someone. Is this the result of a past experience with a family member?

Yes there are some rubbish people out there, but sometimes you've gotta take a jab in the dark to develop as a person :smile: If you're at Uni/College, get chatting with someone who you get on with and takes your fancy. See how things develop from there. It's not a race to get into a relationship, the good ones take time to develop.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
it's one thing if you constantly get involved with people and treat them like sh*t (that might make you self destructive or destructive to others) but avoiding relationships itself is different and there's nothing wrong with it. which one are you?

just saying don't feel bad if you don't want to be in a relationship right now; you probably haven't met the right person. when you meet him/her you won't be so scared anymore.
Reply 3
Original post by CTLeafez
Sometimes you've just gotta take a leap of faith.

Find someone you get on with really well. Your personalities align and your senses of humour are similar. I don't think you'll find this sort of person in any bar or club I'm afraid.

You say you're scared of putting your trust in someone. Is this the result of a past experience with a family member?

Yes there are some rubbish people out there, but sometimes you've gotta take a jab in the dark to develop as a person :smile: If you're at Uni/College, get chatting with someone who you get on with and takes your fancy. See how things develop from there. It's not a race to get into a relationship, the good ones take time to develop.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks I guess the trust thing is from past friendships or the fact that everyone I've thought I was 'talking' to turned out to be in a relationship/saw me as a friend/or gay. I guess and I suppose ur right about taking a jab in the dark I'm gonna try. Thanks for your help x
Original post by Anonymous
everyone I've thought I was 'talking' to turned out to be in a relationship/saw me as a friend/or gay.

I'd say to counter that, make it clear near the beginning of talking to them that you're pursuing them romantically rather than in a friendly way. That way they'll know for certain you aren't there as a friend or gay.
If they continue to chat to you while being in a relationship... Well then they're the bad person, not you.

You're welcome :h: Good luck. Keep us updated if you make any progress.
Reply 5
Original post by Joleee
it's one thing if you constantly get involved with people and treat them like sh*t (that might make you self destructive or destructive to others) but avoiding relationships itself is different and there's nothing wrong with it. which one are you?

just saying don't feel bad if you don't want to be in a relationship right now; you probably haven't met the right person. when you meet him/her you won't be so scared anymore.

I think it's my fault I always come across as someone who isnt soft or lovey dovey I guess and anyway thanks for the advice I'm deffo not gonna rush into owt x
Reply 6
Original post by CTLeafez
I'd say to counter that, make it clear near the beginning of talking to them that you're pursuing them romantically rather than in a friendly way. That way they'll know for certain you aren't there as a friend or gay.
If they continue to chat to you while being in a relationship... Well then they're the bad person, not you.

You're welcome :h: Good luck. Keep us updated if you make any progress.

Thank you I will ☺️
My point of view is that nothing wrong with your behavior, you shouldn't trust anyone as life is no longer that safe and many people are fake. I would suggest being sociable and talkative ( carefully there is a difference between talking and trusting ), the right person who is trustworthy would be obvious to you by time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending