The Student Room Group

Should I give up on Oxbridge?

Hey,

So I didn't achieve my predicted grades at gcse and I ended up with 4As,5Bs (getting a remark for one) and a C.
I know that GCSEs are just one part of the application process but will these GCSEs mean Oxford is off the radar? Then as for Cambridge they said applications usually have a minimum of 4As so I'm still in the running?
I want to do art history but I don't know how competitive that is as the intake is very small however it's not heard of as being notoriously difficult as medicine and law are!
If I get high predicted grades and have a top notch personal statement and reference etc will I be okay? My worry is competing against those from private schools which may have the history of art a level in addition to perhaps also better grades???
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Depends how competitive the course is that year and whether you have special circumstances. What unis say and what they mean r v different - for example they say 3 A levels is fine but everyone who is there has 4 so....

Don’t want to b cruel but it’s going to b very very difficult to get urself in with those gcses I would guess?
Reply 2
It's still worth applying. You could try sitting the history of art A level as an external candidate go boost your application. I'd look at other unis too, just in case you don't get in.
Original post by katf
It's still worth applying. You could try sitting the history of art A level as an external candidate go boost your application. I'd look at other unis too, just in case you don't get in.

Yeah that's a good point thanks and I'll be looking at a bunch of other universities. I just wondered if it would still be worth applying.
Original post by ninjaliv
Depends how competitive the course is that year and whether you have special circumstances. What unis say and what they mean r v different - for example they say 3 A levels is fine but everyone who is there has 4 so....

Don’t want to b cruel but it’s going to b very very difficult to get urself in with those gcses I would guess?

I've seen people get in with worse because of the whole holistic approach. I don't know about the having 4 A levels thing because I went to the university and spoke to some professors and they said for arts and social sciences it would be fine to have 3 as long as 2 are facilitating subjects?
Reply 5
Original post by Angel_xox
Hey,

So I didn't achieve my predicted grades at gcse and I ended up with 4As,5Bs (getting a remark for one) and a C.
I know that GCSEs are just one part of the application process but will these GCSEs mean Oxford is off the radar? Then as for Cambridge they said applications usually have a minimum of 4As so I'm still in the running?
I want to do art history but I don't know how competitive that is as the intake is very small however it's not heard of as being notoriously difficult as medicine and law are!
If I get high predicted grades and have a top notch personal statement and reference etc will I be okay? My worry is competing against those from private schools which may have the history of art a level in addition to perhaps also better grades???
Thanks

Oxford are more rigorous on GCSEs than Cambridge, but apparently Cambridge aren't a fan on predicted A-Levels. Oxford is also more stronger in the literature subjects, whereas Cambridge is more developed in the sciences, so theoretically Oxford will probably be harder to get in for you. But given you have 5 unis to choose from I'd say go for it. If you've got a solid personal statement and the work experience/activities to convince them that you've got the passion for it, then there's a chance that they may take you in for interview. And if you don't get in, then it's not like you can't still do exceptionally well in your desired field.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HGS345
Oxford are more rigorous on GCSEs than Cambridge, but apparently Cambridge aren't a fan on predicted A-Levels. Oxford is also more stronger in the literature subjects, whereas Cambridge is more developed in the sciences, so theoretically Oxford will probably be harder to get in for you. But given you have 5 unis to choose from I'd say go for it. If you've got a solid personal statement and the work experience/activities to convince them that you've got the passion for it, then there's a chance that they may take you in for interview. And if you don't get in, then it's not like you can't still do exceptionally well in your desired field.

Both universities maintain the stance that they are equal for subjects but that's not how it's perceived. Thanks for the encouragement :smile:
I'm doing history and English literature at a level- what else would you recommend?
You only need AAA at A-Level so the course isn't as competitive as most other oxford courses. If you could get predicted above this then you could have a chance at an interview although oxford are really strict about gcse grades so you would have to nail your personal statement.

As for A-Level topics, I would recommend a language. From the Oxford Website: Candidates are required to have taken an essay-based subject to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent. History of Art, Fine Art, History, English or a language can be helpful to students in completing this course, although they are not required for admission. We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects.

It seems Like English Lit, History and a language would be a perfect combo.

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 8
Both universities maintain the stance that they are equal for subjects but that's not how it's perceived. Thanks for the encouragement :smile:
I'm doing history and English literature at a level- what else would you recommend?

As this is not my field I don't want to give you any wrong advice, so I would rather not make any recommendations, as it would be unfair to you. However, I've done some reading on the requirements for the 'History of Art' subject, you said 'art history' so I'm assuming that's what you meant.

Here's what Oxford had to say:
'A-levels: AAA Advanced Highers: AA/AAB IB: 38 (including core points) with 666 at HL Or any other equivalent (see other UK qualifications, and international qualifications) If English is not your first language you may also need to meet our English language requirements.

Candidates are required to have taken an essay-based subject to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent. History of Art, Fine Art, History, English or a language can be helpful to students in completing this course, although they are not required for admission. We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects.'

^I don't know if I've interpreted it right but they mention the 'science subjects', it sounds like they're expecting you to take one. Here's the link: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/history-art?wssl=

And here's what Cambridge had to say:
'Typical offers require A Level: A*AA IB: 40-42 points, with 776 at Higher Level For other qualifications, see our main Entrance requirements pages. Course requirements Required by all Colleges: no specific subjects Required by some Colleges: no specific subjects Please note that subjects such as Art and Design are accepted but Colleges normally require A*/7 in an essay-based subject.'

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/history-of-art
Reply 9
From my above post, it seems like they're not really fussed about the third subject, as long as you've got the essay based subjects going, which you do. So I would ask, what subjects are you thinking of as your third option?
Original post by HGS345
From my above post, it seems like they're not really fussed about the third subject, as long as you've got the essay based subjects going, which you do. So I would ask, what subjects are you thinking of as your third option?

I'm not sure. I was thinking either art or biology? Due to the fact that the AS no longer runs I feel stuck as I have to choose. Also would taking one science subject be fine? A lot of people I know taking biology are taking other sciences.
Original post by Zalvager
You only need AAA at A-Level so the course isn't as competitive as most other oxford courses. If you could get predicted above this then you could have a chance at an interview although oxford are really strict about gcse grades so you would have to nail your personal statement.

As for A-Level topics, I would recommend a language. From the Oxford Website: Candidates are required to have taken an essay-based subject to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent. History of Art, Fine Art, History, English or a language can be helpful to students in completing this course, although they are not required for admission. We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects.

It seems Like English Lit, History and a language would be a perfect combo.

Good Luck :smile:

Thank you so much for the advice and yeah I definitely have to mnai that personal statement. I'm not too worried about the predictions in English and History but I need to be careful with my third option.
Unfortunately due to not taking a language at GCSE I don't have that option but I was drawn towards the Oxford course for the fact that you can take up a language.
I wonder about taking just the one science?
Reply 12
I'm not sure. I was thinking either art or biology? Due to the fact that the AS no longer runs I feel stuck as I have to choose. Also would taking one science subject be fine? A lot of people I know taking biology are taking other sciences.

You're better off taking Biology. In the academic world Biology is far more respected as an A-Level. Having 1 science isn't a problem as you're not applying for a science course, so it wouldn't make sense for them to refuse you an interview/offer on the basis that you've not done enough sciences. And you've got the required essay based subjects that they want, which is the most important thing. Also, an advantage to doing essay based subjects alongside a science subject shows you're an all rounder, which just makes you look like a better student lol
I've got some solid revision tips for A-Level Biology, I'll DM them to you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HGS345
You're better off taking Biology. In the academic world Biology is far more respected as an A-Level. Having 1 science isn't a problem as you're not applying for a science course, so it wouldn't make sense for them to refuse you an interview/offer on the basis that you've not done enough sciences. And you've got the required essay based subjects that they want, which is the most important thing.

The academic aspect is exactly where I was coming from. I would like to potentially pursue a career in academia and history of art is strongly an academic subject.
I did fine art at GCSE but I wouldn't say I am confident at it and I could always take photography but then I figured that's a bit too narrow and I'm not sure I want to go through that whole art process again despite having a passion for both.
Would biology be my only option? I really loved physics but does that look too random?
The old a level system would've helped me so much but unfortunately there's so many changes :/
Reply 14
The academic aspect is exactly where I was coming from. I would like to potentially pursue a career in academia and history of art is strongly an academic subject.
I did fine art at GCSE but I wouldn't say I am confident at it and I could always take photography but then I figured that's a bit too narrow and I'm not sure I want to go through that whole art process again despite having a passion for both.
Would biology be my only option? I really loved physics but does that look too random?
The old a level system would've helped me so much but unfortunately there's so many changes :/

Yes, the new system does seem really messed up lol, I'm glad I did the old spec.
No, Biology isn't your only option. I'm just going off the subject choices you gave to me. If you love Physics then go for it. Physics is even more respected than Biology lol. It does look random, but as I mentioned before, given that Oxbridge just want you to have that essay based subject and good grades, they won't refuse you based on a science subject. Whether it would disadvantage you I don't know, but personally I don't think it matters.
Original post by HGS345
Yes, the new system does seem really messed up lol, I'm glad I did the old spec.
No, Biology isn't your only option. I'm just going off the subject choices you gave to me. If you love Physics then go for it. Physics is even more respected than Biology lol. It does look random, but as I mentioned before, given that Oxbridge just want you to have that essay based subject and good grades, they won't refuse you based on a science subject. Whether it would disadvantage you I don't know, but personally I don't think it matters.

The new GCSEs were also a nightmare.
With the science thing I just worry I'll struggle because I only did double at GCSE and also I won't have major links with my other subjects like a lot of the other people.
Reply 16
The new GCSEs were also a nightmare.
With the science thing I just worry I'll struggle because I only did double at GCSE and also I won't have major links with my other subjects like a lot of the other people.

So I've heard. I do pity all of you who have just taken your GCSEs

If you follow the tips I sent you then getting an A won't be a problem. Getting an A* is very hard, but getting an A is fairly straight forward if you know how to study properly.
If you're still concerned then I would email the uni department themselves and see what they have to say. And don't worry about other people. Usually competitive courses, like Medicine, require at least a Maths and a science, and preferably another science. Also for Maths (at top unis), they want Maths, Further Maths and Physics. So if the course specifies that you need them then do it, but if they don't specify then it shouldn't be problem, as long as you're doing a respected subject.
Oxford: [email protected]
Cambridge: [email protected]

You may have done double science, but it doesn't neccessarily mean you'll struggle at A-Level. A-Levels are harder, but many people end up doing much better at A-Level than GCSE. And as you're only doing 3 subjects, you can spend more time focusing on those 3, as opposed to GCSE where you have to try to be as good as you can in many subjects.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HGS345
So I've heard. I do pity all of you who have just taken your GCSEs

If you follow the tips I sent you then getting an A won't be a problem. Getting an A* is very hard, but getting an A is fairly straight forward if you know how to study properly.
If you're still concerned then I would email the uni department themselves and see what they have to say. And don't worry about other people. Usually competitive courses, like Medicine, require at least a Maths and a science, and preferably another science. Also for Maths (at top unis), they want Maths, Further Maths and Physics. So if the course specifies that you need them then do it, but if they don't specify then it shouldn't be problem, as long as you're doing a respected subject.
Oxford: [email protected]
Cambridge: [email protected]

You may have done double science, but it doesn't neccessarily mean you'll struggle at A-Level. A-Levels are harder, but many people end up doing much better at A-Level than GCSE. And as you're only doing 3 subjects, you can spend more time focusing on those 3, as opposed to GCSE where you have to try to be as good as you can in many subjects.

I'm really cautious because some of the choices I made at GCSE weren't the best :/ however that's true about the less subjects thing which is promising. Thank you so much for all your help!
What would you say is the difference between an A grade biology student and an A* biology student?
Reply 18
I'm really cautious because some of the choices I made at GCSE weren't the best :/ however that's true about the less subjects thing which is promising. Thank you so much for all your help!
What would you say is the difference between an A grade biology student and an A* biology student?

You're welcome.

The difference is that the A* student is guaranteed an A, but not an A*. And the A grade student could get an A*, but isn't guaranteed an A. The tips I've given you helped me secure an A* in Biology, and those tips are designed to help you secure and A, and possibly get an A*

In reality there's not really much difference between an A and A* student as most A grade students will be able to answer the same questions as an A* student. It's just that the A* just has more practice, and luck in the exam. Or they've got all that and big brains (I don't have big brains though. Biology is one of my weakest subjects lol, if not my weakest science. But I studied for it properly)

Btw, you come across as quite an intelligent, mature individual, who thinks things through logically and holistically. I applaud that. It's definitely something that I see in Oxbridge candidates.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19

Original post by HGS345
You're better off taking Biology. In the academic world Biology is far more respected as an A-Level. Having 1 science isn't a problem as you're not applying for a science course, so it wouldn't make sense for them to refuse you an interview/offer on the basis that you've not done enough sciences. And you've got the required essay based subjects that they want, which is the most important thing. Also, an advantage to doing essay based subjects alongside a science subject shows you're an all rounder, which just makes you look like a better student lol

Take Art if you prefer the subject and will do better at it.

It's quite simply wrong to say that Biology is more respected, especially when the OP is considering studying History of Art.

Original post by HGS345
Usually competitive courses, like Medicine, require at least a Maths and a science, and preferably another science.

No they don't. Maths is not required for Medicine. Chemistry, on the other hand, usually is, plus one other science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending