I want to do Economics at Uni but am stuck on what to take for a level

Watch
Smithms1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know i wanna do Maths having been good and having both understandance and love for it. And i want to do Economics to give me an insight into the subject myself either as an AS OR A Level however I also don'T mind choosing say
.Maths, Biology, Physics and Economics AS
(OR). Maths, Economics, History and Theology AS/Biology AS/ Gov Pol AS
Yet my parents are quite controlling in this and think History would be silly as the Sciences are more respected and open doors if i change my mind. Although i had chose the 1st option with Economics AS during GCSE i did Physics Olympiad and i didnt really like cause although i did end up getting a 9 in physics i didnt like the atmosphere and felt dumb although it could change once i do a level potentially. But im just wondering what would you advice and outside of this what you would recommend to someone to do at a level to do Economics at UNI.
Zalvager
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It doesn't matter as long as you do Maths. If you want to get into LSE or another top 5 university I would recommend not taking any soft subjects as these can put your application at a disadvantage. There is a list of soft A-Levels on the LSE website.
History is not less respected than the sciences, it just depends on what subject you enjoy and what you can get an A*/A in.

I study Maths and Economics at Nottingham and there is a very large variety of A-Levels in the Economics classes, so just pick what you enjoy. And Maths.
Laila_25
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The maths A level will already make you a competitive candidate for Economics at University, so what you do from there depends on a few variables.

Are you looking to apply to LSE in particular? I understand their requirements aren't particularly different to any other top uni, but if you are I would advise the science route, and maybe consider further maths, as it may strengthen your application!

However, I don't think you should rule out your second option of subjects. A level History is very well regarded by universities for Economics- I'm about to study Economics at Sheffield and took A level History. Even though it may be seen that the sciences will 'open more doors' for an economics degree, it will only count if your grades are good. An A at AS History will be much more positively received than say a C at AS chemistry (although you seem to excel at science so I doubt this would be an issue).

If you're undecided, just think about which option combination you enjoy most and would be willing to put 100% into- whatever you choose on top of the maths A level, your application will be very competitive.

Outside of school, I would recommend some relevant work experience and maybe some wider reading on economics, especially if you end up not taking the A level (I didn't). Maybe apply to shadow an economist/politician, subscribe to an Economics magazine, try and get to grips with some degree level economics to show the university admissions you're dedicated to the subject.

I'm sure you will be great whatever you choose- best of luck! X
Mad-Mullah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was in the same boat as you, with family frowning upon History as an A-level. However, I knew I would not do so well in the sciences so I chose Maths, Econ and History for A-level. I got 5 offers from all Russell group unis to study Economics.

Whilst it did pay off and I am very pleased with my grades, History was the hardest of the subjects I studied and the one I put the most work into.

At the end of the day, do what you will perform the best at. Humanities subjects such as History, English lit, Geography and Languages are well regarded and will not prevent you from getting offers.

Good luck with your studies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed