Should I do Duke of Edinburgh Watch

Admera
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I have to decide today ahhh

My college is offering silver and gold, I didn't do bronze so I'd be doing silver!

What is it like?

Anyone regret doing it?

I'd be doing it in year 12 with other year 12s from my college
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Admera)

My college is offering silver and gold, I didn't do bronze so I'd be doing silver!

What is it like?

Anyone regret doing it?

I did them and while I was doing it I thought it was the worst thing ever but looking back it was actually good fun.
I recently went to London to receive my gold award and I was actually proud of myself for doing it.
I really recommend it to anyone
Anonymous #1
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Admera)

What is it like?

Anyone regret doing it?

I did the DofE Bronze in Year 11 and was offered to do silver in Year 12 but couldnt for personal reasons.

DofE was great fun for me personally, I became independent and made friends etc. There's a lot of teamwork and walking so make sure you're ready for that! Also, it's very very draining... There's 4 parts to it as you know and the other 3 parts take up so much time and because you're doing silver it will be even harder and you're in year 12 so you need to have a think about it... Are you actually ready to juggle all of that alongside your A levels?

Also the bill for clothing, kit, expedition etc does rise very quickly. I estimate I spent in total a few hundred pounds so keep that in mind too.

Overall it's a great experience but especially if you're in year 12 you and doing silver it will be hard to juggle everything and will take up a lot of you're time!
Yes it looks good on your CV etc but so do good grades so make sure you can have a healthy balance between them.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!
Maddie_Brookes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did duke of Edinburgh with my youth group. I am currently doing silver and hoping to do all 3.

I found I could manage it. As you only need to set an hour a side a week. And collect evidence to proven you’ve done it.

It was a relief and break from a levels. And has given me so many skills for the future what I would have never have learnt before that.

But I say if you enjoy it go for it and you can always stop if you find it too much and do it when your ready
Anonymous #1
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I did the DofE Bronze in Year 11 and was offered to do silver in Year 12 but couldnt for personal reasons.

DofE was great fun for me personally, I became independent and made friends etc. There's a lot of teamwork and walking so make sure you're ready for that! Also, it's very very draining... There's 4 parts to it as you know and the other 3 parts take up so much time and because you're doing silver it will be even harder and you're in year 12 so you need to have a think about it... Are you actually ready to juggle all of that alongside your A levels?

Also the bill for clothing, kit, expedition etc does rise very quickly. I estimate I spent in total a few hundred pounds so keep that in mind too.

Overall it's a great experience but especially if you're in year 12 you and doing silver it will be hard to juggle everything and will take up a lot of you're time!
Yes it looks good on your CV etc but so do good grades so make sure you can have a healthy balance between them.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!
Also to add: yes I agree with the others. It was great fun and I too did learn a lot of skills .If I was given the opportunity in would take it!

Good luck
Staples13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did bronze in year 10 and silver in year 11 and I can assure you it was a good decision. It will also help you stand out amongst others when competing for competitive university courses !
Nurani61105
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did it during year 10 because I thought it would be something fun with my friends, we did it with a local youth club centre instead of the school and we met such great people. You would hate doing it at the start (the long walks with heavy rucksack not the skills/voluntary) but everyone completes it, and this is coming from a small 4'9 girl. You share the struggle (or don't, the practise walk was awful but a few more months at the gym building muscle and back strength, the actual walk was fine) with other people and stronger bonds are usually fond. I still have the polaroids of our experiance we took now.

Our school said that of you want to apply for competitive courses like Medicine it wouldn't stand out because everyone has done it so I didn't mention it in my personal statement but it came up a lot in my med school interviews because I had a lot of leadership, teamwork, communication and improvisation skills from there.
olliel2001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I would recommend it to anyone, you feel really good about yourself once you’ve done it and gives you loads of great transferable skills that employers seek to find in employees!
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Do it. Interesting, fun, looks good on a cv and doesn't take up too much time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (49)
24.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (64)
32.32%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (36)
18.18%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (17)
8.59%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
16.16%

Watched Threads