I had unprotected sex, should I do an STI test? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
She told me she's slept with quite a few people before and that she's not had an STI test for a year. What should I do? Should I do an STI test or only do so if i get any symptoms? Also, how should I wait after the unprotected sex to have an STI test?
Elektra06
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would wait 4 weeks
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Elektra06)
I would wait 4 weeks as if you had HIV it would possibly start to show by then, and so would any others
holy **** :nooo:
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
holy **** :nooo:
you most likely don't but it's just a thing to do. Wait a bit before getting test. If you got tested immediately after sex.Some stis won't show up.. So you wait and then get tested.
Elektra06
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HIV is unlikely its just best to wait that long so you can confirm you have none
JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In case the penny hasn't dropped:
You shouldn't have unprotected sex. Carry a condom and use a condom, in addition to whatever contraception your partner is on.

Once your in a longterm relationship, secure relationship and you've both been tested then sure but until then use a condom to protect yourself from unwanted STIs or fatherhood.

With no symptoms I'd wait 5 weeks then go for a STI test.
Ems11
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For HIV, wait 3 months before you get tested that's a 99.99999% chance you're clean. To make sure 100% then go after 12 months.
Official NHS advice.
Miss Bones
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You obviously have concerns so pop along to Sexual Health Clinic, have a chat with them and get some advice (and free condoms).

It is very unlikely you have caught anything, but best to speak to a professional, especially about infections such as HIV (4 weeks for symptoms is *******s, some go years with no obvious symptoms). You clearly need some advice on staying safe, so go and get it.
howitoughttobe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
She told me she's slept with quite a few people before and that she's not had an STI test for a year. What should I do? Should I do an STI test or only do so if i get any symptoms? Also, how should I wait after the unprotected sex to have an STI test?
Definitely do an STI test even if you have no symptoms. STIs don't always have symptoms but they can still do damage. This is how long after sex that they can get reliable test results:
  • 2 weeks: gonorrhea and chlamydia
  • 1 week to 3 months: syphilis
  • 6 weeks to 3 months: HIV, hepatitis C and B
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (280)
61%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.79%
No- I want it (123)
26.8%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.41%

Watched Threads