The Student Room Group

High uni or low

I want to study economics at university but most unis require maths which I haven’t got. So I was wondering what if I study something else at a high uni. Also, Economics has a higher salary but when graduating from certain unis it’s even higher. Which is better; going to a high uni to study languages or law, or going to a low uni to study economics.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student guest
I want to study economics at university but most unis require maths which I haven’t got. So I was wondering what if I study something else at a high uni. Also, Economics has a higher salary but when graduating from certain unis it’s even higher. Which is better; going to a high uni to study languages or law, or going to a low uni to study economics.

It depends what you call a "high" uni. Leeds (imo a solid Russell Group uni) doesn't require an A Level in maths for their Economics BSc course (you just have to do catch up courses in first year if I recall correctly).

What I will say from having taken an economics degree is that if you are taking a BSc there will be a lot of maths involved to the extent that your core modules (micro and macro) will often seem like you're taking an applied maths degree (after first year it's not at all like an Economics A Level). If you're not comfortable with that, or at least able to tolerate it (like I managed to), then an economics degree might not suit you anyway (average graduate salary is not the be all and end all).
do maths/further maths privately?
Reply 3
Just study a-level maths, you're going to have to study the material at university anyway if you pick economics so why not get it out the way now?

There are several very good unis which don't require Maths in order to study Economics. What do you mean by high and low?
Original post by HippoRhino3
do maths/further maths privately?

I don’t think I can, it’s really difficult
Original post by ben789
Just study a-level maths, you're going to have to study the material at university anyway if you pick economics so why not get it out the way now?

So that means I have to retake Year 12 again?
Original post by ageshallnot
There are several very good unis which don't require Maths in order to study Economics. What do you mean by high and low?

High uni meaning Russel group or based on league table. I’m looking to stay in London for unis and have seen Goldsmiths, City, Brunel and Greenwich( which I think is low in the league table)
High uni meaning Russel group or based on league table. I’m looking to stay in London for unis and have seen Goldsmiths, City, Brunel and Greenwich( which I think is low in the league table)

You don't have to stay local to go to a great university. Many Russel group universities are situated in the north of England and rank highly on league tables. Unless u can't move far away from home for personal/financial reasons then you should give it a shot. Especially since you have 5 options for uni.
Reply 9

Oh please, if you are looking for econ job, look at subject ranking instead. I am quite sure there are some unis like Essex and City can beat some of the RG group unis, after all the econ has not been a strong subject in UK. We have only roughly 8 or 9 unis in world 100 this year, comparing with other subjects its really low.

For example:
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2018/economics-econometrics
(edited 5 years ago)

Well, being limited to London significantly restricts your choices. City might be a good shout given the Cass business school. What grades have you got/predicted?

Edit: RHUL don't require Maths A-level.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Rain Thorn
You don't have to stay local to go to a great university. Many Russel group universities are situated in the north of England and rank highly on league tables. Unless u can't move far away from home for personal/financial reasons then you should give it a shot. Especially since you have 5 options for uni.

I can’t move away from home and have to stay in London which is closest to me. Thank you.
Original post by KeirCKF
Oh please, if you are looking for econ job, look at subject ranking instead. I am quite sure there are some unis like Essex and City can beat some of the RG group unis, after all the econ has not been a strong subject in UK. We have only roughly 8 or 9 unis in world 100 this year, comparing with other subjects its really low.

For example:
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2018/economics-econometrics

Oh ok Thanks. I have seen the league table for subjects too. Are you saying City uni is good?
Original post by ageshallnot
Well, being limited to London significantly restricts your choices. City might be a good shout given the Cass business school. What grades have you got/predicted?

Edit: RHUL don't require Maths A-level.

I’m predicted BBC and yes my choices are very limited.

sorry but the maths in an Economics degree is difficult, even if you're let in, any honest uni should ask you to prove your aptitude for maths before applying
I’m predicted BBC and yes my choices are very limited.

Have you considered a foundation year?
I can’t move away from home and have to stay in London which is closest to me. Thank you.

Why can't you move away? There's plenty of financial support and accommodation available
Original post by Rain Thorn
Why can't you move away? There's plenty of financial support and accommodation available

Coz I’m asian and broke
Well not really. are there any other similar degrees, I find banking interesting too.
My AS grades are CCD, so prediction is likely to be BBC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending