The Student Room Group

Is spanking children child abuse?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonymous1231231
lol i can bet the= people on here saying its abuse havent been spanked:biggrin:

there's a difference between hitting/beating your kids and spanking them, its like a little slap that barely hurts. and parents that normally spank only do it when they have to. i was spanked, and im fine, i have an honest relationship with my parents (my mum was the spanker lol)

if you're being spanked more like a few times a week (like 3) then you can classify that as a bit more violent. i'd get spanked if i DEAD beat my siblings, or purposely broke something or whatever. it was for extreme cases, not for something like oh u didnt do ur hwk

i know for a FACT i'd be a huge tw*t if i wasn't spanked. i'd be a spoiled kid and i know that. parents dont want to spank their kids, it's always the last resort.

Except you don't know how you would have turned out had you not been hit as a child.

ITT: people defend hitting children because their parents did it to them and they don't want to feel bad for their parents.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Except you don't know how you would have turned out had you not been hit as a child.

ITT: people defend hitting children because their parents did it to them and they don't want to feel bad for their parents.

i mean you do have some idea dont you?
and im not defending my parents looool, i dont have to because i dont see it as 'abuse'. i see it as discipline. probably an asian thing.
Original post by Anonymous
i mean you do have some idea dont you?
and im not defending my parents looool, i dont have to because i dont see it as 'abuse'. i see it as discipline. probably an asian thing.

It's abuse by definition. 'I'm Asian' is not an argument.

As I said earlier, amazing what people will defend because it's been normalised. Bet you think that circumcising babies when there is no medical need is fine as well.
(edited 5 years ago)

As I said earlier, amazing what people will defend because it's been normalised. Bet you think that circumcising babies when there is no medical need is fine as well.

:u:
I was spanked (rarely) and turned out pretty damn fine in the end, so I guess it's not too bad.
I'm French so it's much more common than in the UK but still.
oH here come the "I've been spanked and I turned out fine" people :laugh:

kind of is. different cultures, different norms.
Original post by rainclouds-
oH here come the "I've been spanked and I turned out fine" people :laugh:

They always come crawling out eventually.

I mean good for them if they were spanked and are actually turned out as well-adjusted, healthy adults but there are lots of young people who have a LOT of issues due to violence at home and those are who we should be concerned about.
(edited 5 years ago)
People who got hit as children and think they turned out fine might not be fine though. Could have anxiety issues or other psychological problems that they're not dealing with or they don't realise are problems as it's all they've known.

And they have no way of knowing how they would have turned out had they not been hit.
okay so all the people who have never been spanked have already made the decision for OP :smile:
okay so all the people who have never been spanked have already made the decision for OP :smile:

Was hit as a child regularly and I'm saying it's wrong.
Reply 71
Nope never on the face and I completely disagree with parents/guardians who do slap a child on their face; it's a very sensitive part of the body and can cause scarring/visible marks.
No, my girlfriend spa*ks me all the time.
It's child abuse and a complete suicide mission to not spank your kids
(edited 5 years ago)
have u had pakistani parents? have u experienced both sides?

No but i live in bradford and my secondary school was full of asians. All they complained about was a flip flop to the ass, an occasionally smack across the back of the head and the word "pudinya" (idk how to spell it).
Original post by HeartBlink
Is this the only punishment that teaches respect and obedience? If you can't think of anything else, just don't have children

Original post by HeartBlink
This fear develops into a lack of freedom and a very weak relationship with the parent, which then leads to constantly lying out of fear.

How silly, how people raise their children is absolutely none of your business.

I am not talking about abusing your kids but something reasonable. Why do you try to shove your view down people's throats
Original post by Randyyy
How silly, how people raise their children is absolutely none of your business.

I am not talking about abusing your kids but something reasonable. Why do you try to shove your view down people's throats

Sorry, i was on about abuse. And yes spanking isn't always abuse
Hitting children is abuse. No debate to be had about this.
Hitting children is abuse. No debate to be had about this.

That's ignorant
Original post by Randyyy
That's ignorant

No its not. Do you know what abuse is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending