Advice needed

Watch this thread
MPTCstudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Will having generalised anxiety disorder on me medical records stop me from joining the Royal Navy? I have only been on propranolol which is a type of beta blocker to stop panic attacks but haven't taken them since last year or maybe the year before.*

I have a lazy eye/short sighted in my left eye but can see perfectly still and if I wear glasses I have 0 issues again, my right eye has perfect vision. Can this cause problems with joining?

I have had iron deficiency anemia but mild and it was treated.

I had a absence seizure once when I was very young.

I had eczema as a child, has came back but never went to a doctor about it.

- These are the only things I can think of that might be on my medical records, all very mild issues but could they stop me from joining the Royal Navy?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MPTCstudent)
Will having generalised anxiety disorder on me medical records stop me from joining the Royal Navy? I have only been on propranolol which is a type of beta blocker to stop panic attacks but haven't taken them since last year or maybe the year before.*

I have a lazy eye/short sighted in my left eye but can see perfectly still and if I wear glasses I have 0 issues again, my right eye has perfect vision. Can this cause problems with joining?

I have had iron deficiency anemia but mild and it was treated.

I had a absence seizure once when I was very young.

I had eczema as a child, has came back but never went to a doctor about it.

- These are the only things I can think of that might be on my medical records, all very mild issues but could they stop me from joining the Royal Navy?
Potentially, yes.

A lot depends on how recent they are, how long it's been since you were clear of medication, what role you're going for, etc.

It's also worth knowing exactly what's on your medical records so that you're not making life harder for yourself than it needs be.
bluebells1
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I can't answer the question sadly as I'm not sure but Hey, I'm another propanolol and panic attack person!!
MPTCstudent
Rep:
(Original post by Drewski)
Potentially, yes.

A lot depends on how recent they are, how long it's been since you were clear of medication, what role you're going for, etc.

It's also worth knowing exactly what's on your medical records so that you're not making life harder for yourself than it needs be.
They're all from months ago and I'm not applying yet anyway, I'll be going to a college to do with military stuff and that could last a few months then it's another few months for the application process, providing that I have no other health issues it'll be at least a year maybe 2 away with not seeing a doctor so I don't see why they would pick any of it up and it's all very minor and issues that were easily treated.

How do I get access to my medical records?
MPTCstudent
Rep:
(Original post by bluebells1)
I can't answer the question sadly as I'm not sure but Hey, I'm another propanolol and panic attack person!!
Trust me it gets better. X
Drewski
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
They're all from months ago and I'm not applying yet anyway, I'll be going to a college to do with military stuff and that could last a few months then it's another few months for the application process, providing that I have no other health issues it'll be at least a year maybe 2 away with not seeing a doctor so I don't see why they would pick any of it up and it's all very minor and issues that were easily treated.

How do I get access to my medical records?
For a lot of things they require you to be 2, 3, maybe 4 years clear. So don't assume anything.

And while you might think that they were simple little things only needing basic treatment - and in any other world you'd be correct - the armed forces are a very different environment, with much more exacting requirements, and building you up to the potential of operating in extreme locations. They view things differently.

Your doctor has them. Ask.
MPTCstudent
Rep:
For a lot of things they require you to be 2, 3, maybe 4 years clear. So don't assume anything.

And while you might think that they were simple little things only needing basic treatment - and in any other world you'd be correct - the armed forces are a very different environment, with much more exacting requirements, and building you up to the potential of operating in extreme locations. They view things differently.

Your doctor has them. Ask.
Well aslong as I get to join at some point wether it be in a year or 3 years, I have no GCSEs, A levels and no degree so in reality I'm facing a lifetime of minimum wage jobs and never have a career, my only chance at making money and having a better life is the army or navy.
Drewski
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Well aslong as I get to join at some point wether it be in a year or 3 years, I have no GCSEs, A levels and no degree so in reality I'm facing a lifetime of minimum wage jobs and never have a career, my only chance at making money and having a better life is the army or navy.
And as long as you're not viewing them as a last chance saloon... The forces are a lot smaller than they used to be, they can be very picky with who they select.
MPTCstudent
Rep:
And as long as you're not viewing them as a last chance saloon... The forces are a lot smaller than they used to be, they can be very picky with who they select.
They pretty much are my last chance; I'm not smart enough to retake GCSEs as I failed to get on a pre access course so clearly I'm never getting a job above min wage, you can't get any decent job without qualifications unless you join the Navy or Army But that's not the only reason why I wanted to join
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
27.03%
Take a gap year (17)
15.32%
Resit my exams (30)
27.03%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (17)
15.32%
I don't know yet (12)
10.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.5%

Watched Threads