Garbage A-Levels, i dont know what to do Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ok so, I got my A Levels back, and after a **** 2 years in my life, I didnt do good at all. I was going to apply for uni, my teacher advised not to. And I barely got an offer from one uni from clearing somehow, but the course is something I dont think anyone would be doing. My father wants me to do medicine, and we've been trying to get into universities in europe, we've received offers, but they're asking for too much money. I am currently going through a mental breakdown cause I dont want to tell my dad no, but he wants me to go through with it. I dont know what to do, all my mind is telling me is to crawl into a ball and just cry. My A Levels were ****, like really ****. I understand where he is coming from as I did go to a private school, but at the same time, I mentally dont think I could handle the medicine course, let alone be abroad away from everyone I know, just all alone, no parents, no friends, no family, just nothing. I dont know what to do. I have this one place where they offer an access course for something I do have an interest in, but the argument my dad brings against that is "you're better off doing something for a few extra years, where you know you can get a job and get good money from it too" this is just me paraphrasing, but this is basically the argument against me doing what I kinda want. like i said, i dont even know anymore.
username3687396
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok so, I got my A Levels back, and after a **** 2 years in my life, I didnt do good at all. I was going to apply for uni, my teacher advised not to. And I barely got an offer from one uni from clearing somehow, but the course is something I dont think anyone would be doing. My father wants me to do medicine, and we've been trying to get into universities in europe, we've received offers, but they're asking for too much money. I am currently going through a mental breakdown cause I dont want to tell my dad no, but he wants me to go through with it. I dont know what to do, all my mind is telling me is to crawl into a ball and just cry. My A Levels were ****, like really ****. I understand where he is coming from as I did go to a private school, but at the same time, I mentally dont think I could handle the medicine course, let alone be abroad away from everyone I know, just all alone, no parents, no friends, no family, just nothing. I dont know what to do. I have this one place where they offer an access course for something I do have an interest in, but the argument my dad brings against that is "you're better off doing something for a few extra years, where you know you can get a job and get good money from it too" this is just me paraphrasing, but this is basically the argument against me doing what I kinda want. like i said, i dont even know anymore.
If you don't feel ready to go to University or do the degree in medicine, no one should force you, not ever your Dad. It's your choice at the end of the day. If you don't mind me asking, would you ever consider retaking your A-Levels if you say they weren't a true reflection of your ability.
Bunnykins
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What grades did you get?

In the UK you need AAA for medicine, plus a good UKCAT score and/or BMAT.
I think your father is being unrealistic and unhelpful.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AJ_3003)
If you don't feel ready to go to University or do the degree in medicine, no one should force you, not ever your Dad. It's your choice at the end of the day. If you don't mind me asking, would you ever consider retaking your A-Levels if you say they weren't a true reflection of your ability.
See I spent 2 years doing year 12, it was a stupid decision, and then the 2nd year of doing that year 12, bad things started to happen, and it just spiraled on through to year 13. Personally, I just cant do it ever again, I mentally cannot do it.
username3687396
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
See I spent 2 years doing year 12, it was a stupid decision, and then the 2nd year of doing that year 12, bad things started to happen, and it just spiraled on through to year 13. Personally, I just cant do it ever again, I mentally cannot do it.
I don't know what to suggest then if you feel mentally unable to redo A-Levels. Would you consider doing an access course or some form of qualification that could get you back onto the path you want to go down? Have you always wanted to do medicine, as if you haven't would you consider something else within the scientific field?
Anonymous #1
I don't know what to suggest then if you feel mentally unable to redo A-Levels. Would you consider doing an access course or some form of qualification that could get you back onto the path you want to go down? Have you always wanted to do medicine, as if you haven't would you consider something else within the scientific field?
Yes, Im open for an access course for radiography, as I want to take a career in that department, so I'd be applying for diagnostic radiography at uni. It's just I've always said no to medicine/becoming a doctor, and I just dont want to do it, the hard part is how do I tell my dad, who is pretty much set on me doing medicine and ready to pay a tonne of money to some agency that will get me into it. Like I just dont want to do this, i dont want to do medicine, I'm sitting here shaking cause i dont want him to feel bad about it, but like, i dont know
username3687396
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, Im open for an access course for radiography, as I want to take a career in that department, so I'd be applying for diagnostic radiography at uni. It's just I've always said no to medicine/becoming a doctor, and I just dont want to do it, the hard part is how do I tell my dad, who is pretty much set on me doing medicine and ready to pay a tonne of money to some agency that will get me into it. Like I just dont want to do this, i dont want to do medicine, I'm sitting here shaking cause i dont want him to feel bad about it, but like, i dont know
Don't feel bad about it, he shouldn't be allowed to force you down the medicine route. It's a shame you're shaking as you seem like a nice person who's been dealt a bad hand over the past few years. Would he be open to paying for you to do Diagnostic Radiography? What do your other family members think?
Anonymous #1
Don't feel bad about it, he shouldn't be allowed to force you down the medicine route. It's a shame you're shaking as you seem like a nice person who's been dealt a bad hand over the past few years. Would he be open to paying for you to do Diagnostic Radiography? What do your other family members think?
My mum is fine with it, I feel like he would, but I dont know, cause i had a breakdown earlier, I just want to cry, like 19 and has already messed his life up, what else could go wrong
username3687396
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My mum is fine with it, I feel like he would, but I dont know, cause i had a breakdown earlier, I just want to cry, like 19 and has already messed his life up, what else could go wrong
You haven't messed your life up, you just haven't got the grades you need to do it that's all... Just mention it to him as see how he feels about it, as it's still down the science route and it's a good degree to have (eventhough I have no clue what Diagnostic Radiography is...) It's you that's the most important in this situation, nobody else. A lot of other things could go wrong, but you can make this right!
Anonymous #1
You haven't messed your life up, you just haven't got the grades you need to do it that's all... Just mention it to him as see how he feels about it, as it's still down the science route and it's a good degree to have (eventhough I have no clue what Diagnostic Radiography is...) It's you that's the most important in this situation, nobody else. A lot of other things could go wrong, but you can make this right!
I dont want me going to do medicine, him spending all that money for accommodation and me living there, and knowing how I did so bad in A-Levels, and it eventually just doesnt work out, and in the end we lose money. It just ****s my head up, I feel pressure from everyone
username3687396
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dont want me going to do medicine, him spending all that money for accommodation and me living there, and knowing how I did so bad in A-Levels, and it eventually just doesnt work out, and in the end we lose money. It just ****s my head up, I feel pressure from everyone
You shouldn't have to deal with the huge amounts of pressure that they are exerting, you're human too. I know someone who's in a similar situation to you, was going to do Medicine and they messed up their A-Level Biology exams, resulting in them not going to University. The only difference is they didn't do Chemistry so now they've got to go to college to finish their A-Level studies. At the end of the day, pressure makes you under-perform and not reach your potential so could you remove any stressing stimuli / events from your life?
potatohouse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First of all, chill your beans!! It is not the end of the world and your life is most certainly not ruined!!!!!!! Do what you want to do not what your dad wants you to do. Tell him you don’t want to do medicine, you may argue, but in the end he’s your dad and he will “forgive” (not that there is anything to forgive obviously) you. Do this course if you want to do it, if not don’t. There is still some courses available at some unis so give them a call, if not maybe it is better to take a gap year and for you to get a job for a while. Being 20 in uni is not that big of a deal I know someone who didn’t even go until he was 21 and a YouTuber (Ibzmo) was a similar age. You have your whole life ahead of you and there’s no need to rush !
Bunnykins
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why does your father think he can buy you into medical school? If you can't do it or don't want to do it then you shouldn't. I don't know how it works abroad, but getting into medical school in the UK is very tough.

Work experience
Good GCSEs
A minimum of AAA at A level
A good UKCAT score
And/or BMAT
MMIs (multiple mini interviews)

There is a high drop out rate in medical students, and after they qualify. What planet is your father living on?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bunnykins)
Why does your father think he can buy you into medical school? If you can't do it or don't want to do it then you shouldn't. I don't know how it works abroad, but getting into medical school in the UK is very tough.

Work experience
Good GCSEs
A minimum of AAA at A level
A good UKCAT score
And/or BMAT
MMIs (multiple mini interviews)

There is a high drop out rate in medical students, and after they qualify. What planet is your father living on?
An Agency said they guaranteed a place but it cost quite a bit just for the application fee. Thats what he was going off of. But its sorted, and I wont be going, i know I cant handle it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.54%
No I don't (151)
46.89%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.57%

Watched Threads