The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They may take our fish but they will never take our freedom

Well as this is apparently happening now then it’s happening under the eu fishing rules 🙄
WW3!
Reply 4
We can beat the French at sea. And the Spanish. Bring it on!
Original post by paul514
Well as this is apparently happening now then it’s happening under the eu fishing rules 🙄

Agreed. And given that it is happening in EU waters, we won't get a look in post Brexit unless a deal can be done on fishing... which I doubt we will get given the fact that Europe includes the likes of Spain and France, both massive fishing nations.
Reply 7
Original post by paul514

Under the common fisheries policy (horrid thing for an island nation to be part of) we both have the right to fish in that location however the French have a domestic restriction to improve stock.

Although i do think we should take back all British waters (Newsnight pointed out that only about 40% of fishing stock is brought to port by Brits) i do actually believe (given the decimation of fishing stock) that we should abide by the agreement with the French in this instance.
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. And given that it is happening in EU waters, we won't get a look in post Brexit unless a deal can be done on fishing... which I doubt we will get given the fact that Europe includes the likes of Spain and France, both massive fishing nations.

Yep I guess we don’t have some of the best fishing waters in the world.

I think you will find if it were just based on fish they would be begging for a deal
The French were trying to preserve scallop stock from overfishing. One of British ships involved has been fined twice in the last couple of years for landing undersized scallops. I'm very much with the French on this one.

Quick Reply