The Student Room Group

Can salicylic acid make your skin worse?

So..I have been using a salicylic acid face wash for about 6 and a half weeks now. It is the only product that i have changed in my skin care routine, and since i have been using it, my skin has been breaking out and insane amount for 6 weeks. The reason why i wanted to use a SA wash was from researching online that it is supposed to unclog pores and clear skin, however there is supposed to be a purging period which lasts 2-3 weeks. I have been using it much longer than that and my skin looks so much worse than before using it.
Could it be that i am still purging? or is my purging period longer than average? Is it irritating my skin and should i stop using it?
Has anyone else had a reaction like this to SA?
No clue. I use Benzoyl Peroxide and it is quite good, but make sure you put suncream in sunny areas because pigmentation of acne can occur. If you have lighter skin, pigmentation isn't too much of a problem. I do use adapalene as well, but I don't feel it makes a difference on my skin tbh.
Reply 2
Thank you for your response :smile: I also agree, i think SA may not be suitable for my skin. Have you ever experienced purging with a face wash before? if so how long did it last?
Reply 3
Original post by chelseagirl2002
No clue. I use Benzoyl Peroxide and it is quite good, but make sure you put suncream in sunny areas because pigmentation of acne can occur. If you have lighter skin, pigmentation isn't too much of a problem. I do use adapalene as well, but I don't feel it makes a difference on my skin tbh.

Thank you for your response! I have used BP before and because my skin is naturally dry, BP caused my skin to dry even more and peel. It did help with acne but my skin looked terrible with makeup on.
Original post by yelllow
Thank you for your response! I have used BP before and because my skin is naturally dry, BP caused my skin to dry even more and peel. It did help with acne but my skin looked terrible with makeup on.

That's true. I have very oily skin so it works for me.
Reply 5
That's really similar to my reaction! I'm also getting way more cystic acne since using the SA face wash. Trying to find a good face wash for acne is such a struggle :frown:
Reply 6
Thank you so much! :smile: I'll definitely try this out!!
I had horrible butt acne and it was so embarrassing. I went to a doctor and the products she recommended didn’t work- but CeraVe SA Body Wash did. It took a whole bottle (around 1 month and a half) to really see true results, so be patient. No product will work immediately. But this is amazing, the bottle lasted almost 2 months and I used a quarter size everyday.
Reply 8
My experience with pharmacy and GP medications is that they made no improvement to acne and as you say may just cause skin irritation. If it’s not working I would make another appointment and after a couple of things ask for referral to a dermatologist. These things may work for some but I wasted a lot of time on ineffective treatment

Quick Reply

Latest