Stationary for sixth form? (for guys)

Watch this thread
charlie300
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hi, i am starting sixth form in 6 days and have heard many people tell ne to get folders, notebooks etc. to resolve this i looked at what people recommended on youtube but considered it irrelevant as it was all girls’ “stationary hauls” where they show their “really cute / cool coloured pens / post it notes”, most of which i just thought were unnecessary. can i pls have a guys advice on what to bring as i am still quite confused.
if you are wondering the a-level im doing are maths physics economics and epq
thank you
Mikiran
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I live with a pencil case with the obvious stuff (pen, pencil, ruler, sharpener, rubber, sometimes protractor), calculator and a folder for the sheets teachers give. I also made use of flashcards for physics and chemistry and I think it helped me with getting As for both in AS exams.
VVDOOMVV
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by charlie300)
hi, i am starting sixth form in 6 days and have heard many people tell ne to get folders, notebooks etc. to resolve this i looked at what people recommended on youtube but considered it irrelevant as it was all girls’ “stationary hauls” where they show their “really cute / cool coloured pens / post it notes”, most of which i just thought were unnecessary. can i pls have a guys advice on what to bring as i am still quite confused.
thank you
a4 lever arch files for each subject
plastic wallets
pens, pencils, rubber, maths set (oxford one is good)
flashcards (if you use them)
set of a4 notepads
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
believe it or not not all girls want 'really cute' pens.

u need folders for every subject, dividers, pens, pencils, ruler and notepads.
potatohouse
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Bring an A4 notepad to school to write in and pen, pencil for diagrams, ruler, calculator if needed, highlighters (for going over your notes) and folders to keep at home for each of your subject. Most important thing is to keep for stuff organised you will thank yourself when it comes to revision
TomHiggs01
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
i literally have a couple of the bic 4 colour pens, a casio fx-991EX calculator for maths and physics, a highlighter and a ruler. then a pukka pad for each subject and one binder folder for my maths work and thats it. i got through y12 just fine and had no problems. oh and a pencil and rubber. tbh found coffee and portable charger more necessary than anything else last year ( i take maths physics and chem) and am doing pretty well
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thank you
I really don't see how only a man can advise you on stationery. Just because those YouTubers want cute things doesn't mean you have to have them.

If they say you need cute folders, just get ordinary ones without cute patterns on. If they say you need cute pens, just get regular biros.
chelseagirl2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Why not advice from girls. Not all girls go for 'cutesy' stationery.
charlie300
Rep:
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I really don't see how only a man can advise you on stationery. Just because those YouTubers want cute things doesn't mean you have to have them.

If they say you need cute folders, just get ordinary ones without cute patterns on. If they say you need cute pens, just get regular biros.
haha i didn’t mean it like that, i meant because there is near to nothing on the internet that ive found recommending what to get for guys that i would ask myself, the reason i didn’t do what you’re recommending is because there was just so much stuff on these videos that seemed unnecessary that i couldn’t be bothered to pick out what seemed necessary for me as that would’ve taken a long time and i only feel i need the essentials, not all the extra stuff. sorry if i offended
charlie300
Rep:
(Original post by chelseagirl2002)
Why not advice from girls. Not all girls go for 'cutesy' stationery.
haha im fine with getting advice from girls, i just thought it would be good to have a forum out there that guys could look at to know what to get as i don’t think theres much stiff like that on the internet, sorry if i offended x
chelseagirl2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
haha im fine with getting advice from girls, i just thought it would be good to have a forum out there that guys could look at to know what to get as i don’t think theres much stiff like that on the internet, sorry if i offended x
Ahah its chill.
monostable
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thank you
You don't need a lot

Pencil case:
2-3 black pens, 2 pencils, a 30cm ruler (possibly one that flips from 15cm to 30cm), a sharpener, an eraser, and possibly 1 of those Bic 4 colour multifunctional pens (one pen that has green, red, blue and black) just incase you need to mark your own work in a different colour. You may also want 1-2 highlighters, but it isn't necessary.

Paper:
I'd just recommend a notebook for each subject. If it finishes for a certain subject, just buy another notebook.
You can get a pack of 3 from Rymans (they're on sale): https://www.ryman.co.uk/pukka-metall...page-pack-of-3
You can easily tear the paper (easily perforated) if you want to take it out of the book. I highly recommend these notebooks as they're really good quality and I've used about 6 of these in Year 12 altogether.

Or you could just go Wilko's and get refill pads for £1 and they easily tear, but they're not wire bound.

Folders:
Just get plain folders. 3 lever arch's would be good for each subject, and you can get them in different colours if you want to. (I think they're £1.75 each from Wilkos), and then have 1 day folder (ring binder) that you carry to school everyday. You may want dividers for each folder, but they're really cheap (50-75p per pack).

Other things:
A calculator- you may need a graphical one for Maths.
A planner- I personally use a small planner just to record my homework, you can get simple and plain planners from Rymans.
Stapler and hole-puncher- I find this really useful to have just at home as I'm always needing it.
charlie300
Rep:
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
believe it or not not all girls want 'really cute' pens.
u need folders for every subject, dividers, pens, pencils, ruler and notepads.
i didn’t mean to offend, just wanted a place guys could go to as there doesn’t seem to be anything on youtube etc. more than happy to take advice from girls 😂
DrawTheLine
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
haha i didn’t mean it like that, i meant because there is near to nothing on the internet that ive found recommending what to get for guys that i would ask myself, the reason i didn’t do what you’re recommending is because there was just so much stuff on these videos that seemed unnecessary that i couldn’t be bothered to pick out what seemed necessary for me as that would’ve taken a long time and i only feel i need the essentials, not all the extra stuff. sorry if i offended
You didn't offended, just confused. Men and women have the same stationery. Pens, pencils, dividers, rulers, folders, notepads, note cards, post its and then subject specific equipment like calculators.
MysticImogen
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thank you
The (for guys) bit is hilar!

Just bring general stationary stuff like pens, pencils, pad of paper, etc. Also bring some highlighters, coloured pens / pencils to highlight things / draw diagrams, etc
charlie300
Rep:
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
You didn't offended, just confused. Men and women have the same stationery. Pens, pencils, dividers, rulers, folders, notepads, note cards, post its and then subject specific equipment like calculators.
that should be true but to be honest, me and my mates and about 95% of guys i know were surviving off like 1 pen, a pencil sharpened down to the minimum and a snapped triangle as a ruler, whilst about 70% of girls at my school were making all these revision cards with different colours which i obviously respect but shows the difference really 😂
juicyapples
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'd definitely recommend:
- A lined paper refill pad where you could just tear the pages out and put them in your folders (makes life so easy instead of notebooks)

-Folders, colour coded to classes. I did geography (yellow), biology (blue), and maths (red). I'd suggest lever arch as you can then add more pieces of paper inside.

-Pens.. I personally find the Stabilo fineliner black pens very neat for writing out notes on the lined paper.. But for more textured paper or rough note making in general I'd suggest ball point pens as they glide very smoothly.

-Highlighters for sure. I colour code my notes. Yellow- important words, Orange- important sentences or points, Pink- headings, and Green- titles

-Rulers- sometimes you need them in class to draw diagrams or something.

-A pencil case for sure just to be organised.

-Pencils if you need them (though I don't really use pencils often)

-A red pen for corrections

-A decent calculator if you do maths

That's about it.. Oh and a hole puncher so you can store every piece of paper in files and a stapler if you need to put stuff together.

Oh, and this isn't compulsory at all, but I find that listening to the "Music for Concentration" playlist on Spotify helps me concentrate and do my work well. It's modern soothing piano music.
username3687396
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thank you
You'd need the basics (pens, pencils, rulers, notebooks, folders) and as you're doing Maths and Physics, you'd need a calculator (both scientific and graphical.)
DrawTheLine
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
that should be true but to be honest, me and my mates and about 95% of guys i know were surviving off like 1 pen, a pencil sharpened down to the minimum and a snapped triangle as a ruler, whilst about 70% of girls at my school were making all these revision cards with different colours which i obviously respect but shows the difference really 😂
Shows that guys don't put as much effort into their revision perhaps.

Revision cards are a good method to use.
olliel2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Same as the above, but a journal/ planner may also be very useful for recording homework/coursework deadlines as well as exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (86)
67.19%
No (29)
22.66%
I didn't use it to prepare (13)
10.16%

Watched Threads