Remapping Car with Black Box? Watch

*JustARandomGuy*
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello.

I've got a Diesel VW Mk5 1.9 Golf which is 103BHP and I was hoping to get it remapped. The only problem is I have a black box policy with More Than Smart Wheels (about 1/2 through policy). I asked them if they would still insure me if I remapped my car (with me paying extra premium of course) but they said that is not possible.

If I remapped my car anyway, do you think the black box would pickup the difference in acceleration etc leading them to discover the remap?

I guess I could wait the other 6 months and get a new policy without a black box and remap my car then but am just 'hyped' to do it as soon as possible.

Thanks.
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really fail to see why you want to remap a 100hp diesel that's > 10 years old. You wont notice any difference.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by *JustARandomGuy*)
If I remapped my car anyway, do you think the black box would pickup the difference in acceleration etc leading them to discover the remap?
You're basically asking if you comitted insurance fraud, would the insurers find out about it and void your policy?

Well, if you crash then I'd say it's pretty much a certainty, especially if they insist on using one of their own mechanics (or salvagers). They'd then refuse to pay out for the accident, cancel your policy and possibly even refer you to the police. Is that a risk you're willing to take for a few extra horsepower?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by *JustARandomGuy*)
Hello.

I've got a Diesel VW Mk5 1.9 Golf which is 103BHP and I was hoping to get it remapped. The only problem is I have a black box policy with More Than Smart Wheels (about 1/2 through policy). I asked them if they would still insure me if I remapped my car (with me paying extra premium of course) but they said that is not possible.

I guess I could wait the other 6 months and get a new policy without a black box and remap my car then but am just 'hyped' to do it as soon as possible.

Thanks.
It's worth noting before I get into the actual answer, your insurer now has a record of your request to remap - this will load your premiums in future (even if you don't go ahead) as you are seen as riskier.

If you remapped the car without declaring it, that would be insurance fraud. To do so on a telematics policy would be stupider than stupid.

Stop.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)
I really fail to see why you want to remap a 100hp diesel that's > 10 years old. You wont notice any difference.
Interesting hypothesis...
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're with More Than

Don't even risk it.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Errr, those are generally the best cars to remap. A £200 remap will see you up to 120-130bhp which is a 20-30% increase in power. That's more than enough to feel the difference!

Before I got rid of my 130bhp Passat I was looking at getting it remapped up to 165bhp/300lb-ft+. Would have been quite the sleeper for a 16 year old estate.
DarthRoar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
Errr, those are generally the best cars to remap. A £200 remap will see you up to 120-130bhp which is a 20-30% increase in power. That's more than enough to feel the difference!
Nice you can go from a meh car with meh power to a meh car with meh power!
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nice you can go from a meh car with meh power to a meh car with meh power!
You're clueless :laugh:
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You crash, car gets recovered, assessor is instructed by insurer to check for mods against policy, plugs your ECU and finds out you were tuned = you're screwed.

Don't do it..
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your insurance will go through the roof when you remap at your age. Don't do it under your current policy, not worth the risk of being caught committing insurance fraud.

How often do you feel you really want/need the extra power? Don't get me wrong, it is fun having more power and torque and my Volvo does make for an amusing sleeper at times, but for day to day driving you never really need it. Get some more experience driving, plenty of life ahead of you to have fun and more power when your insurance costs won't be so high either.
jsb99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree interesting... Clearly doesn't know a thing about remaps. Turbo diesels are some of the best engines to remap with the biggest performance increases.... You dont have to have an expensive car to make it fast.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The thing about remaps/chips I worry about is the difference between a competent one and a crap one...deja vu of folk 10 years ago saying "Aye mate I can unlock your phone no bother...oh...i've bricked it, oh well, thanks for shopping with Dodgystall™

I was chatting about them with a car pal a while ago, and was told for my 17 year old car not to bother, I'd get better value using that money to fix small things...change filters, change vacuum lines/gaskets, tighten everything up ect. Apparently quite a lot of people with my car modify the size of some of the pulleys & belts for higher supercharger PSi then remap it, taking it from 197bhp to 230 odd, but lots of stories down the line saying it went bang, too much pressure on intercooler & fuel system apparently.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
The thing about remaps/chips I worry about is the difference between a competent one and a crap one...deja vu of folk 10 years ago saying "Aye mate I can unlock your phone no bother...oh...i've bricked it, oh well, thanks for shopping with Dodgystall™

I was chatting about them with a car pal a while ago, and was told for my 17 year old car not to bother, I'd get better value using that money to fix small things...change filters, change vacuum lines/gaskets, tighten everything up ect. Apparently quite a lot of people with my car modify the size of some of the pulleys & belts for higher supercharger PSi then remap it, taking it from 197bhp to 230 odd, but lots of stories down the line saying it went bang, too much pressure on intercooler & fuel system apparently.
There's a big difference between your mate slapping a map on for £50, and getting one done by a professional including a rolling road/dyno tune which will cost somewhere between £200 and £300.

If your car is supercharged then I assume it's a petrol. Petrol engines aren't typically designed for high boost in the same way diesels are. I imagine you're running 5psi of boost, maaayybeee 7-8psi if the manufacturer was feeling daring. My PD130 Golf runs about 18psi stock and will go a fair bit over 20psi with a remap. Heavier duty blocks and heads on diesels by design due to compression ignition make it a lot easier to feed them high boost without things exploding. Mine's also "detuned" from the factory as it's by-and-large the same engine as the PD150, just with 20bhp less. So it already has that easy overhead, plus whatever overhead there is on the PD150 engine. This happens a lot with diesel engine ranges as it's cheaper to detune a larger engine then produce different engines for each power output available. Loooots over overhead for mapping with the lower power diesel engines.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
There's a big difference between your mate slapping a map on for £50, and getting one done by a professional including a rolling road/dyno tune which will cost somewhere between £200 and £300.

If your car is supercharged then I assume it's a petrol. Petrol engines aren't typically designed for high boost in the same way diesels are. I imagine you're running 5psi of boost, maaayybeee 7-8psi if the manufacturer was feeling daring. My PD130 Golf runs about 18psi stock and will go a fair bit over 20psi with a remap. Heavier duty blocks and heads on diesels by design due to compression ignition make it a lot easier to feed them high boost without things exploding. Mine's also "detuned" from the factory as it's by-and-large the same engine as the PD150, just with 20bhp less. So it already has that easy overhead, plus whatever overhead there is on the PD150 engine. This happens a lot with diesel engine ranges as it's cheaper to detune a larger engine then produce different engines for each power output available. Loooots over overhead for mapping with the lower power diesel engines.
Yeah I'd agree, you get what you pay for, not trying to imply all remapping is bad (never had it done) Just the fact that i'd think long before letting someone else mess about with the car like that.

I get you about the diesels that they can take the higher pressure and are more likely to have extra power sitting, I think my petrol boosts to 6.4 or nearabouts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (89)
49.44%
No (91)
50.56%

Watched Threads