The Student Room Group

Miriam's Road Through A Levels

Scroll to see replies

Damn you're so lucky. It's so annoying because I didn't take any essay subjects because I knew I didn't want to do any essay writing and now I've got Welsh Bacc on my bac (see what I did there :thumbsup: ) But yeah, I mean it's not that bad because we do the individual project at the end (same as GCSE tbh) where I can choose to do it on anything I want.
Reply 81
Original post by hp4300
Sorry to hear about UNIQ, you're doing so much already! I'm a future law applicant too, good luck with everything!

Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 82
Original post by foxstudy
Wow! You're so ahead in Chemistry :eek: We've done 2.1, 2.4 and we're starting 2.5 but that's literally it... Random question but how do you revise?? I'm on the WJEC spec as well and I do Chemistry, Biology and Maths and your Chemistry mock mark is amazing! I didn't do so well in my mock and I really don't know what to do. I'm going to try going over all the Unit 1 content again and make sure I really understand it but yea.

I make revision notes so that I can have all vital info in one place. Then I do past paper questions from booklets that my teacher has put on Google Classrooms. If I struggle with a topic, I try to write as much as I know on a piece of paper and then look at what I missed before doing it again a day later.
Reply 83
Original post by MiriamButcher
Where are you thinking of applying?

LSE, UCL, KCL, Warwick and either Cambridge/Oxford (I'll decide after UNIQ and mocks). What about you?
Reply 84
Original post by hp4300
LSE, UCL, KCL, Warwick and either Cambridge/Oxford (I'll decide after UNIQ and mocks). What about you?

Cambridge, Durham and UCL are pretty certain. I’m also considering LSE, Bristol, Warwick, KCL and Birmingham (Birmingham as a backup option).
Reply 85
Cambridge, Durham and UCL are pretty certain. I’m also considering LSE, Bristol, Warwick, KCL and Birmingham (Birmingham as a backup option).

Are you not considering Oxford? Those are great choices btw, I'm sure you'll get in :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by hp4300
Are you not considering Oxford? Those are great choices btw, I'm sure you'll get in :smile:

I’m considering it, but I prefer the course at Cambridge.
Reply 87
I’m considering it, but I prefer the course at Cambridge.

Me too, not sure how much I'll like jurisprudence but I still am doing my research
26/02/2018

Hello. I keep forgetting to update this, which shows the scattered state of my mind in this month that is too close to exams to be relaxed but not close enough to warrant constant revision. I guess I’ll stick with my usual layout:

Chemistry

As well as covering Unit 1 before Christmas, we’ve finished 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7. We’ve nearly finished 2.8, so I think we’ll finish the course with a good amount of time to review certain topics in class. I need to keep revisiting the mechanisms and doing Unit 1 past papers. I got 98% on an isomers test (I lost one mark on a stupid explain question).

Maths

Unlike with Chemistry, I’m worried that my class isn’t going to finish with a lot of time to review topics. It’s slightly worrying and I know that I’d be happy with a faster pace in lessons. However, I’ve decided to start making revision notes during this half term holiday (haha England, I get mine while you’re going back to school). I’ve finally started to understand Binomial Expansion when not using Pascal’s triangle.

History

Woooohoooo! I managed to get full marks in an essay entitled “To what extent do you agree that religious grievances were the main cause of rebellion between 1529 and 1558?”. I’m genuinely surprised because I wrote it under timed conditions (I have a habit of writing too much for the time limit) and I totally missed out the (slightly irrelevant) Rhys ap Gruffydd rebellion. We’re currently at about 1570 in the reign of Elizabeth I. On the Weimar side of the course, we’ve basically finished learning the content. I need to review it a lot. We’re now starting to look at exam technique in more depth because this exam requires source analysis.

English

I’m enjoying studying Jane Eyre, but I’m conscious of the limited time we have left. I really need to start reviewing Street Car and writing essays in my free time. I’m most nervous about English.

Extra-curricular

Who got rejected from UNIQ? This girl did. I’m the rejection email they specified that it was because of my postcode, so I’m not that upset. I’m still waiting on the results of my Sutton Trust Cambridge summer school application and my Yale summer school application.

My school just finished performing The Phantom of the Opera for four nights and I’m still shattered. It was a wonderful experience but I won’t miss rehearsing everyday.

I still haven’t heard back about the legal work experience I applied for, so I’ve sent an email to chase the law firm up about it. Even if it’s a rejection, I just want the know the outcome.

Unrelated

Have any of you been watching University Challenge? That American from Oxford is blowing my mind with the amount of random things he knows; I’m semi-convinced that he has a photographic memory.

Quite on the contrary, we have more than enough time to finish maths but in chemistry we're pushed to finish the course at all, never mind extra time for revising in class.

I didn't actually apply to UNIQ, but feel like I should've in hindsight; then again my area isn't too bad so I doubt I'd have gotten in, just based on postcode. Commiserations on the rejection but you have other chances! It's kind of a pity that you don't live a little further west because Swansea are running a summer scheme for kids in South West Wales with loads of places, but also kind of not a pity because it looks like a bit of a shambles to me, very quickly hashed into existence.

Well done with Phantom! Glad you enjoyed, though I've got to say I think it's one of the most overrated musicals ever. I wouldn't see it on West End unless they paid me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by MidnightSymphony
Quite on the contrary, we have more than enough time to finish maths but in chemistry we're pushed to finish the course at all, never mind extra time for revising in class.

I didn't actually apply to UNIQ, but feel like I should've in hindsight; then again my area isn't too bad so I doubt I'd have gotten in, just based on postcode. Commiserations on the rejection but you have other chances! It's kind of a pity that you don't live a little further west because Swansea are running a summer scheme for kids in South West Wales with loads of places, but also kind of not a pity because it looks like a bit of a shambles to me, very quickly hashed into existence.

Well done with Phantom! Glad you enjoyed, though I've got to say I think it's one of the most overrated musicals ever. I wouldn't see it on West End unless they paid me.

I agree that Phantom is very overrated and there are many eye-roll moments, but I enjoyed playing it none the less (the music was often quite dramatic). We’re doing Sweeney Todd next year, which I’m not that happy with because I was hoping for something like The Sound of Music (my fave) or West Side Story.
I agree that Phantom is very overrated and there are many eye-roll moments, but I enjoyed playing it none the less (the music was often quite dramatic). We’re doing Sweeney Todd next year, which I’m not that happy with because I was hoping for something like The Sound of Music (my fave) or West Side Story.

My school did Sweeney in 2018. It was easily the hardest theatre experience of my life, but because I love anything dark, I enjoyed very much.

You been applying to open days/been to any yet? I'm finding it frustrating the amount of universities who only offer open days for undergraduates on Wednesdays in term time; especially so considering Wednesday is the worst day on my timetable to miss.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by MidnightSymphony
My school did Sweeney in 2018. It was easily the hardest theatre experience of my life, but because I love anything dark, I enjoyed very much.

You been applying to open days/been to any yet? I'm finding it frustrating the amount of universities who only offer open days for undergraduates on Wednesdays in term time; especially so considering Wednesday is the worst day on my timetable to miss.

I’ve been looking at some, but I haven’t actually registered for any. I know that the bookings for Cambridge aren’t open yet, and I’m reserved about travelling any further than London other than for Cambridge (e.g. to Durham).
Reply 92
30/03/2019

Hello again. It’s been a while since I’ve updated this but nothing much had happened.

Chemistry

We finished the course yesterday except for a few practicals that we are going to do in the next two weeks. We are going to alternate between tests and practicals to hone our skills. On my most recent test I got 97% so I’m feeling good about Chem.

Maths

We’ve basically finished Vectors in Pure, so now we only have Applied Vectors and Hypothesis testing to do. I want my teacher to give us a test because be haven’t had one since December, so I’m pushing for that.

English

I’ve finally written an essay that has made its way into the top band. I don’t have an exact mark out of 60 yet but I’m confident about it. I’m also more confident about exam technique in general. I just need to memorise critical quotes and key quotes.

History

We’ve finished both courses so now I’m creating flashcards to memorise knowledge that I think will be applicable to exam questions. I’m scoring consistently high in all essays but now I need to write them without any information in front of me (once I’ve memorised some flashcards).

Extra-curricular

I was unfortunately rejected from the Yale Summer School and I’m having a hard time dealing with it. Another girl from my sixth form got in (though for a different, less competitive course) and I can’t help but feel slightly jealous. I know I’ll be rejected from the Sutton Trust Cambridge summer school because of my postcode, so I guess it’s time to book a holiday and plan to conduct my own research for Law over the summer holidays. I might do an online course from Harvard or Stanford that will teach me about an area of the law.
Reply 93
25/04/2019

Whoop just got rejected from the Sutton Trust Cambridge Law summer school though I’m not too disheartened. I’m trying to book a holiday for around that time anyway so I guess it just makes it easier :u:. Anyway, 20 sleeps until exams and I’m feeling the stress. I’ve been revising everyday but I’m still scared about not being able to finish good essays in the exams.

Maths

I’m feeling pretty confident in Maths. I just need to keep practising. I did the 2018 Applied paper yesterday and got 99% so hopefully it’ll translate to full UMS in the actual exams.

Chemistry

I’m starting to prefer Unit 2 to Unit 1. I did the 2016 Unit 1 paper yesterday and it was harder than any of the other years so I’m preparing myself with lots of chemical calculations questions just in case they’re that mean again.

History

I’ve memorised half of my Tudor flashcards. I’m going to introduce the next set today so that I’ve hopefully memorised 5/6 by Monday. I’ve written all of my Weimar flashcards and I’ll start to introduce them next week because the Weimar exam is five days after the Tudor exam.

English

I’m definitely feeling the time pressure for this. I understand the exams and what I need to do, but I just need to do it in the times conditions. I’m writing essay plans rather than full essays for revision but I’m going to start doing a few times practises.
Reply 94
21/08/2019

So yeah... I kinda gave up with this blog because, quite frankly, I was too lazy to keep updating it. I achieved 4 As in my AS levels and am unaware of the UMS because I’m currently on holiday and haven’t seen my actual results paper. I’m very happy with how the year has gone and hope to improve moving forward to achieve 2 A*s next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending