What do I say when I go to the doctors about my mental health Watch

Meg846
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m 17 and I’ve struggled for over a year now and as much as I really do not want to tell anyone I feel like I’ve got to go to the gp I’f I want to start enjoying life.
Firstly what do I say on the phone and when I go into reception? I know that when I go to book in they will ask my why I’m there but I don’t want to say if other people in the waiting room will hear ygm?
And then what do I say to the doctor? I know it will be really awkward and I really don’t want to go but I feel like I have to.
Nahaha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I went to the GP for my anorexia (which they dealt with awfully - someone else ended up referring me straight to the Maudsley), I made an appointment online with a nurse (which was probably a mistake - a doctor would have been better, but the doctor who I did end up seeing was dismissive and abrasive). At the appointment I just said something vague about eating and then the nurse asked me questions which I answered. Judging by my experience I'd advise you to go to a doctor, not a nurse, and say something vague like I did because I didn't really want to talk about it so the questions helped to coax it out. Making an appointment online meant I didn't have to say what I was making it for, I just typed 'concerns about eating' into the box - you could put something like 'concerns about mood'. I think they changed the system really recently so hopefully you can still get an appointment online. I hope things get better for you
-_alex_-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it's really good that you're thinking of seeing the GP about this, it's certainly not easy but it's definitely the right thing to do. I myself have experienced some issues for quite a few years and just recently saw a GP for the first time about it. When you call them just tell them that you're calling in to book an appointment with your GP, the receptionist is most likely going to ask for your name and address and whether or not it is an emergency appointment, once I had given this information she then just asked if she could have a one word/line description of the problem just so she can put it down for the GP to see - Depending on what it is you're suffering from you might say "I've just been experiencing a lot of anxiety lately" or "I've been feeling really low lately" etc. These are just examples of what you might say if you were feeling anxious/depressed. The receptionist on the phone shouldn't ask for massive amounts of detail as they wont be treating you and they tend to be very busy anyway.

When you go into the reception I'm pretty you don't need to and shouldn't be expected to say what the appointment is about. If you were given a 9:30 Appointment with Dr. Jones when you called in (The receptionist on the phone should have told you the doctors name) then all you would need to say is "Hi I've got an appointment with Dr.Jones at 9:30" and the receptionist will check you in and tell you where to sit and wait.

I can't be too specific about what to say to the Doctor in the appointment because I don't know what you're going through, but all I will say is to try and be as open and honest about your struggle as possible, if the Doctor asks you what's wrong when you sit down you might just start by telling them that you're going through a hard time mentally (something more specific to what you're experiencing would be better), you should then be asked a few questions and given some options for treatment.

You're doing the right thing reaching out to your GP for help, don't suffer in silence, reaching out for help can be difficult but it's the right thing to do.
Star****
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi im 18 my mom called the doctors centre (local medical clinic) to see my GP
Usually the receptionist wont ask you what the problem is on the phone, all you need to say is that you would like to book an appointment. (You can call them yourself if you prefer) and during this you can ask for a particular doctor (male/female/your GP etc)
The local clinic by me has a self sign in system , which means I didn't even need to talk to the receptionists
But if you have to tell them the reason you could simply say that you have come to discuss mental health, you shouldn't need to give any further information to them 🙂
Also with me I told the doctor what I had on my mind. I said to him 'I think I have depression'. That's it. The rest of it was him asking questions
Best wishes
marple
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Meg846)
I’m 17 and I’ve struggled for over a year now and as much as I really do not want to tell anyone I feel like I’ve got to go to the gp I’f I want to start enjoying life.
Firstly what do I say on the phone and when I go into reception? I know that when I go to book in they will ask my why I’m there but I don’t want to say if other people in the waiting room will hear ygm?
And then what do I say to the doctor? I know it will be really awkward and I really don’t want to go but I feel like I have to.
You are doing the right thing in going to see your GP. As others have said, if the receptionist asks you can just say something general like "I want to discuss mental health issues". It can be useful to write down what your concerns are, how you feel and how it impacts on your life. This helps you get your thoughts in order and you can take it with you to the appointment either to refer to or, if it's easier, just give it to the GP saying "I find this really awkward so I've tried to write it down". They can then take the conversation forward.

Wishing you the best.
Meg846
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you, what all have you have said is really helpful x I just don’t know if I can bring myself to make an appointment and go to it. I don’t like talking about it and I haven’t been to the doctor for years because im so nervous about going to see them about anything and I’m also worried that someone I know would be there or my Mam would know where I’m going
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (171)
24.5%
Pop (173)
24.79%
Jazz (27)