The Student Room Group

Colleges - internet allowances

I heard that some colleges in Cambridge have limited internet allowance, is this true? Or do most colleges have unlimited wifi? I've shortlisted by colleges to Christ's, Pembroke, Emmanuel, Queens, Kings, Gonville & Caius, Corpus Christi and Jesus. Also is it common for other universities to have limited internet allowances?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by davit.kim
I heard that some colleges in Cambridge have limited internet allowance, is this true? Or do most colleges have unlimited wifi? I've shortlisted by colleges to Christ's, Pembroke, Emmanuel, Queens, Kings, Gonville & Caius, Corpus Christi and Jesus. Also is it common for other universities to have limited internet allowances?

Yes it's common for Halls of residence to have internet allowance limits, it's communal living, things have to be shared!
Reply 2
Emmanuel definitely doesn’t limit internet - they only would say something if you are using an absurd amount I think.
Reply 3

There's some info on the TSR how to choose a college page but I don't know if it's still up to date
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/student/how-to-choose-a-cambridge-college

The bandwidth stuff was right 3ish years ago...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

Even if they do, chances are, it'll be a fair usage limit whereby they'll only throttle your speeds rather than cut you off completely.
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
Even if they do, chances are, it'll be a fair usage limit whereby they'll only throttle your speeds rather than cut you off completely.

Or they surcharge you. (That does happen...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Or they surcharge you. (That does happen...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think in 2018 a surcharge for excess internet usage especially in a place that's probably been all "fibered up" is quite unreasonable. But that's my opinion :tongue:
Reply 7
I think in 2018 a surcharge for excess internet usage especially in a place that's probably been all "fibered up" is quite unreasonable. But that's my opinion :tongue:

Yeah, that might be "back in the day".

Just looked at Robinson College, they throttle
https://www.robinson.cam.ac.uk/college-life/it/network-usage-rules
Yeah, that might be "back in the day".

Just looked at Robinson College, they throttle
https://www.robinson.cam.ac.uk/college-life/it/network-usage-rules

5GB in a 24hr period sounds reasonable for even the heaviest of internet users :tongue:
Reply 9
5GB in a 24hr period sounds reasonable for even the heaviest of internet users :tongue:

How many hours of Friends is that? :wink:
How many hours of Friends is that? :wink:

oof... I don't binge-watch internet television shows. Nope. Not at all :getmecoat:

Spoiler

Quick Reply